The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old June 6, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1
trkkshotbry

Best .45 cal carbine

Hello all. I'm new to the sight but with a wife and three kids I've been away from the gun sports scene for about 10 years now. I'm thinking I want a light handy carbine in. 45 but I don't know what the best bang for my Buck would be in the under a grand category.
chime in with your opinions and reasons and eventually ill post up my decision.
I figure my NEEDS will be fairly well covered with my 1911, semi auto Browning 12 gauge, a .308 semi auto rifle and a carbine in pistol caliber. 45. This way I don't have to stock more than 4 calibers of ammo.
Looking forward to getting to know you all and thanks for your input.

Bryan aka trkkshot.
Old June 7, 2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Bamashooter

I like Hi-Point carbines. Mine is very accurate, very reliable, very good price, and it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty. The down side is no high capacity magazines. I countered that with several low capacity magazines.
Old June 7, 2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Hansam

Get one of these:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...c-edition.html

and one of these:

http://olyarms.net/index.php?page=sh...hk=1&Itemid=37

PS don't pay MSRP for the upper.

Slap them together and voila! you have a light and handy .45acp carbine!

When the itch to get other uppers chambered for the multitude of other calibers available for the AR gets too strong to ignore then you can scratch that too.
Old June 7, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Stressfire

Can't really go wrong with the Hi-Point. They aren't pretty, they are cheap, the trigger sucks, but they are tough and they go bang just about every time you squeeze the trigger.

If it turns out that you don't like it, you are out maybe $250 tops and can easily sell it away. The lifetime warranty is a nice touch as well

"Best" is rather subjective. Beretta CX4 are considerably more expensive and much nicer to look at and also made by an older and more established company, but I couldn't say that you would be getting more bang for your buck.

Last edited by Stressfire; June 7, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old June 7, 2012, 08:52 AM   #5
themalicious0ne

I remember a while back I found one of those barretta's for $600 they are pretty common now around $900, search around, if I could find one for $600 NIB again I wouldnt hesitate, especially because you could probably sell it for around to just under than that.
Old June 7, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
g.willikers

Marlin once made a .45 carbine, called the Camp Carbine.
It used 1911 mags, too.
They pop up now and again on the gun auctions.
There's also a company that makes a carbine upper for the 1911 frame.
http://www.mechtechsys.com/
Old June 7, 2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Hairbag

HK!
Old June 8, 2012, 12:56 PM   #8
moxie

Bryan,
A couple things to keep in mind. First, .45 ammo is expensive. It's about triple the cost of 9mm. So practice and plinking are going to be expensive. Second, most .45 carbines available today are expensive and not necessarily the most reliable guns around. As noted above, the Hi-Point "goes bang just about every time you pull the trigger." Not exactly what I want in a defense gun. The Olympic Arms upper looks interesting. Don't know how reliable it is. But notice mags are $45.44 dollars each. Ouch! And I don't know how reliable they might be.
If you can find an affordable 9mm carbine that would be the way to go, but I don't know of a real good option being produced right now.
If you really need/want a carbine the best option, IMO, is an M-4 style AR-15 in 5.56/.223. Can be had in the $700 price range, although supplies are tight right now. They are as reliable as a carbine can get. Mags work and are cheap. Ammo is available and cheap. One more caliber won't hurt. And, the .223/5.56 round gives you amazing flexibility you can't get with .45 or 9mm.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old June 8, 2012, 01:32 PM   #9
trkkshotbry

thanks

@ Modish : Your opinion is noted and I'm thinking about switching up to a 9mm carbine like the one from High Point because as you pointed out 9mm ammo is cheaper and high cap mags are available for the carbine I'm considering. I'm not really a fan of the. 223 round for a cpl reasons best summed up as "hopped up .22". Nor am I a fan of gas impingement systems in general. With that said I still want a pistol caliber carbine with high cap mags available for anything inside 50yards. Beyond that I have a .30-30 or a .308 to play with.
Old June 8, 2012, 02:48 PM   #10
moxie

"Hopped up .22." Good one.

Typically 50% more mass, 55 gr. vs. 36. gr. bullet. (Just an "average" comparison.)

Going 3200 fps vs. 1200 fps.

Yielding 1250 ft. lb. vs. 115 ft. lb.

Hopped up indeed!

High capacity mags don't really exist for the .45ACP in carbine form. I don't think there are any mags that hold more than 15 rounds for the 9mm Hi-Point either. Most Glocks hold more than that.

Take a look at used Marlin Camp 9s. They might be your best bet.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old June 8, 2012, 03:52 PM   #11
buckhorn

camp carbine

To the best of my recollection, Marlin started the camp carbine with a 9MM, then went to .45 auto. I don't remember what clips it used but they were commercially available auto clips.
Old June 8, 2012, 04:29 PM   #12
g.willikers

The Marlin Camp 9mm used the older S&W high capacity pistol mags.
Can't remember which one, though.
When they come up for sale, they are usually about half the price of the Camp .45 carbine.
Old June 8, 2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Rampant_Colt

Another vote for Marlin CC.

The Uzi .45 isn't too bad except magazines are hard to find and ridiculously expensive.

Thompson M1921 is pretty cool

Best is very subjective

The Marlin Camp 9 uses S&W 39/59 series MAGAZINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamashooter View Post
I like Hi-Point carbines.
Hi-Point and "best" can never be used in the same sentence or breath..
Old June 8, 2012, 08:05 PM   #14
arch308

I used to have a Hi Point 45 carbine. It always went bang but the accuracy was rather poor and the trigger was horrible. If I held a 6" group at 50 yds it was a miracle, even with a scope.
I sold the piece of junk and wouldn't recommend one. JMHO
Old June 8, 2012, 09:18 PM   #15
Edward429451

I didn't see any mags for that 45acp AR upper. My friend has a Beretta Storm in 45 and I can't recommend it. It only holds 8 rounds and has a horrible trigger. I can do good with it out to 50 yds but who wants a pistol cal carbine with a mag cap so low, and 100% plastic to boot.

Why wont someone come out with a big bore carbine line? Hi-cap, 45 WinMag, 50 AE! I'd buy two.
Old June 8, 2012, 09:36 PM   #16
sailskidrive

The Hk USC..... Expensive, but refined.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old June 9, 2012, 12:28 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

The problem with .45ACP carbines...

Is that they are pretty much a niche market. There aren't very many designs currently in production, and of those, most are semi auto "copies" of military SMGs (although often with a longer barrel to meet legal requirements).

"Inexpensive" and .45 carbines don't usually go together. The High Point is the cheapest I know of, and while it doesn't look great, they are reported to work. High Point has a reputation of standing behind their guns, so that is a plus. If it doesn't work, they fix it, or get you another one.

The Marlins are cute little guns, pretty light, and look like a scaled up Marlin .22, except for the protruding plastic mag well. IIRC, the .45 came first, then the 9mm, but both are out of print. Saw a couple at my local gun shop a couple months back. I felt they were hidiously overpriced, but then, I remember them going for $250 new, and I think everything is overpriced.

I have heard the drawback to the Marlins is that there is a plastic buffer inside that wears out, and if not replaced, can lead to the rear of the receiver cracking. Can't say its true, and won't say its not, but there's been talk.....

Quote:
Thompson M1921 is pretty cool
yes, it is. And so is the M1928. But they are submachine guns, and getting one legally is a hassle, plus they are going for about $20,000 and some twice that.

The 1927A1, however is semi auto, and much, much cheaper, but still not a "cheap" plinker at MSRP of over $1K.

here's mine.

and they are tremendously HEAVY, too!
Old June 9, 2012, 12:56 PM   #18
dcobler

Kel Tec Sub 2000

I have a KelTec Sub 2K in 9mm and its pretty handy. You buy the model you want based on the magazines it takes.

Since they make one that can handle full size glock magazines, you can pick up some of the hi-cap glock magazines for a decent price and have a neat little package that folds up.

http://keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/
Old June 9, 2012, 01:28 PM   #19
themalicious0ne

Well a .45 carbine that sounds good for what you are looking for is the Kriss Super V. not cheap. It takes glock mags and has extensions to 33 rounds. It is a new design with minimal recoil. It's pretty and could be what you are looking for as far as everything you want minus 2 things. It is expensive, around $1800 for the standard 16" barrel. It also is new to the market which means that it is not exactly proven yet, especially with this new, "recoil reducing" design.
Old June 9, 2012, 01:40 PM   #20
buckhorn

.45 carbine

Ruger used to make the "Deerslayer" carbine in .44 mag. I wonder if they would also function with . 44 special, as that approximates .45 territory. I don't know, just asking? Gas operated-probably not. But if you loaded down a .44mag just a bit?
Old June 9, 2012, 10:08 PM   #21
TNT

Quote:
The Marlin Camp 9mm used the older S&W high capacity pistol mags.
Can't remember which one, though.
same ones the S&W 5906 uses
Old June 9, 2012, 10:16 PM   #22
plouffedaddy

Kriss makes the best 45 caliber carbine ever IMO. It recoils less than a MP5 and is reliable and easy to maintain. Good luck getting your hands on one though; they're backordered everywhere...
Old June 10, 2012, 01:13 AM   #23
trkkshotbry

I did it.

OK guys I went ahead and bought the Hi Point carbine in .45 and popped for the red dot sight to go with it. I figure its cheap enough to playwith, tinker with the trigger if it's really as awful as some have said and I can get high cap single stack mags that will work with a little modification. As an aircraft mechanic I'm pretty confident I can bend a little metal accurately and make the 1911 mags work in the Hi Point. If it will keep them inside a 3 inch circle at 50 yards ill call it close enough for the girls I go with and keep it. If I can't get it ro run right ill sell it for what it cost me and trade up to something a little more refined.
Thanks for all your opinions and if anyone is interested ill post up what I had to do to improve the trigger and mod the magazines.
Old June 10, 2012, 03:53 AM   #24
NWCP

Good luck with your high point. Back in 2000 I purchased my HK USC .45ACP. It has been a hoot to shoot and extremely reliable. It is good out to about 75 yards freehand and 100 yards when bench supported.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:10 AM   #25
g.willikers

Just a quick note on the Marlin Camp .45 problem.
It's not the buffer, but the factory original 11 lb recoil spring that causes the
grief.
(What were they thinking)?
Replacing it with a Wolf 16 or 21 lb spring, depending on the load, cures it.
Then the buffer stays good, too.
New buffers are still available.
There's another, but easily prevented, problem.
The lower part of the receiver, that holds the magazine, is made out of plain plastic.
Any strong solvent will ruin it.
Best to clean it with something else that doesn't harm plastics.
The few that I've tried have been excellent shooters.
Very accurate and reliable.
And they aren't scary looking and apt to upset the wienies, if that's important.

Last edited by g.willikers; June 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Closed Thread