The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 26, 2012, 04:58 PM   #51
Bartholomew Roberts

Thanks for sharing the Andy Brown podcast, pax! That was a good listen.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:28 AM   #52
C.O.M.

I agree it is absolutely something everyone should have, for all walks of life. Gun owners, I believe, would definitely benefit from having BLS training. I am required to have BLS and ACLS in the O.R. I have been in the O.R. for almost 20 years now. Unfortunately, even with the best training, and being exposed to those stresses associated with saving a life, not everyone can be saved.

I think it is also important to understand that even with training, you have to accept that you do the best you can when the time comes. You have to be willing to accept the fact that it may not be enough, and move on. The hardest thing I ever faced, including my time in the Marines, was to watch a 2year old pass away as we worked as hard as we could to save her life. It took me some time, to understand that her making it to the hospital and the work the paramedics did in the field was a miracle in itself. In almost 20 years we have lost some but saved many more. The ones that you save make the next day easier. Understanding you did all you could for the others, is much harder to accept. But it is necessary in order to help the next person comimg through the door.

Like I said earlier, I believe it is important to get at least the basic training to help you prepare for those times you may be the only help available.