The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 30, 2012, 09:44 AM   #26
elrotundamundo

Sure a Mosin will take deer

I handload for my Mosin, a 1943 Izchevsk 91/30. I use Varget and Hornady's 150 gr. .312 Interlock soft point. My load chronographs at 2860 FPS and shoots a little over MOA. I plan to hunt elk with it this fall in Northern Idaho. Although it is heavy to carry, I have no concerns about the capability of the cartridge. If a .308 will do the job, so will 7.62X54R.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:02 AM   #27
L_Killkenny

Quote:
My gun club only has a 200 yard range but I can hit a 6in plate all day long off hand with iron sights.
Then you're one of the greatest shots in the state. Of coarse you only said the gun club had a 200 yard range, ya didn't say you were using it it. Sure you didn't mean 200 feet?

LK
Old May 30, 2012, 12:40 PM   #28
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Then you're one of the greatest shots in the state. Of coarse you only said the gun club had a 200 yard range, ya didn't say you were using it it. Sure you didn't mean 200 feet?

LK
Could be the youngster has some pretty good eyes and a decent rest. I just got my two Mosin's and I find I do 6" at 100 yards with both the M91/30 and the M38 but my eyes are old, the sights hard to see and I'm shooting from the bench. I am sure that better shooters with better eyes than mine could shrink those groups.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 30, 2012, 08:06 PM   #29
tobnpr

With good eyes, and a rest, maybe...but it's still surplus ammo.

Offhand, "all day long"....naahh... I'll chalk that one up to internet bravado.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:39 PM   #30
tahunua001

from what I've noticed with both of my MNs, accuracy is not the greatest but still within the realm of hunting accurate. the sights are a real problem since they are non adjustable up/down so many shooters do not waste the time and money to give them the ability to zero at a specific range. another drawback is that every round I've ever seen in 54R has been full metal jacket or steel core, neither of which is very effective for hunting, yes they will punch a large hole in whatever you shoot but there is little tissue shock from expansion to drop the animal so you will end up having to track them until they bleed out. however if you have a scope and are not afraid of home loading, there is a small amount of brass cased ammo out there for reloading and since the 303 brit has been a popular hunting round among the milsurp enthusiasts, there is a wide selection of 311 caliber soft tip and ballistic tip bullets for home loading. 54r does not lack for the stopping power or accuracy to take an animal past 100 yards there is just a few hurdles for you to clear before you get there. I am currently in the process of sporterizing one of my MNs and intend to see if I can get it up to snuff in time for deer season.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:13 AM   #31
Rangefinder

Quote:
Careful--some of these old gals are amazing shooters in the right hands. My 1938 "Izzy" M91 is a sub-MOA gem that I'm working up for 1000m mil-surp competition. a pie plate at 200 yds. isn't even a challenge. Just because they double for a medieval war club when the ammo is gone doesn't mean they can't shoot to begin with.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old May 31, 2012, 01:37 AM   #32
Scimmia

Quote:
another drawback is that every round I've ever seen in 54R has been full metal jacket or steel core, neither of which is very effective for hunting
A quick check around the net shows soft point loaded ammo available from Prvi Partizan, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, Winchester, and Lapua; and ballistic tip from Hornady.

Not exactly what I'd call rare.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:08 AM   #33
L_Killkenny

Quote:
Offhand, "all day long"....naahh... I'll chalk that one up to internet bravado.
See that, big + 1.

Not knockin the Mosin (although I personally hate them) but some things just ain't happening. Offhand all day long is one of them.

LK
Old May 31, 2012, 11:08 AM   #34
PoorRichRichard

Mother Russia deer slayer!!! (I hope...)

I just bought and mounted an NcSTAR 2.75x22mm Scout Scope and Brass Stacker Mosin Nagant 9130 SeeThru Scout Scope Mount Combo on my custom sporterized MN. This was my first day out shooting at 50 yards off a bench. The three shots in the BS were normal right handed shots. I was so impressed that I switched over to lefty shots for the remaining 2 rounds in the magazine... and ruined my group Can't wait to get it to a 100 & 200 yard range Really hoping this scope/mount hold zero over time. Still need to reinstall the original front iron sight.

I'm thinking this gun gun would do great for deer in the 100-200 yard range. I'll let you all know in few months

Last edited by PoorRichRichard; May 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:16 AM   #35
PoorRichRichard

Here she is.

Tags
accuracy , hunting , mosin , nagant