The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1
rebs

wrong primer ?

I bought some primers at the LGS and he put them in a bag, when I got them out to do some reloading for my 45 acp I noticed they are large pistol magnum primers and not just large pistol primers.
Do I need to take them back ?
What would happen if I loaded with them for my gold cup 45 ?
Old May 20, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
k4swb

When I cannot get standard primers I will use magnum primers. Most people back off a tad and watch things going back up but since I seldom go maximum charge I don't bother.

Never had a problem. You MAY find that you like using them.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Mac Sidewinder

I know a couple fellow reloaders that get nothing but magnum primers since they are usually easier to find. Just work your load up again, no biggie.

Mac
Old May 20, 2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Hammerhead

Yeah, back off at least 10% on the powder charge and work up again. Accuracy may suffer, may not.
Old May 22, 2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Red Dog

I don't know of a place that would take them back anyhow.
Old May 22, 2012, 05:38 PM   #6
serf 'rett

If it was his mistake, he should swap them. You didn't mention if you bought 100 or 1000, but unless you enjoy working up new loads, which you should do when you swap primers, return them.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Adamantium

I doubt the store will take them back, mistake or not. Ultimately it is the customers responsibility to ensure he is buying the correct product. Online is a different story because we don't have the power to be there when they pack the box but it doesn't sound like this is the case.

Of course this isn't a big issue because primer use is very flexible. Just drop your load 10% and work it back up to where you want it. That will take a whole 10-15 primers and if you are using a fast burning powder I doubt there will be any difference in performance.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:44 PM   #8
hk33ka1

Just use them they will be fine.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:44 AM   #9
g.willikers

It's kind of like octane ratings for gasoline.
Some powders need the magnum primers to work properly.
For those that don't, there's no real world problem with using them, anyway.
Generally, the difference, between using a magnum primer vs a normal one, is no more that the variations that will occur in reloaded ammo, due to powder drop irregularities.
In other words, don't sweat it.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:13 PM   #10
rebs

Its only 100 so if he won't take them back, I'll eat the loss.
I am not going to work up a load for 100 primers. I already have my best load worked up with standard primers.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:17 PM   #11
lll Otto lll

There isn't any published 45acp load data that calls for magnum primers.
Also, using magnum primers in low pressure rounds can lead to breech face erosion and pitting.
And if you should accidentally overcharge a case...the last thing you want is a magnum primer igniting it.

Old May 24, 2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Uncle Buck

Wow Otto, I never seen anything like that before.

Could you give us a little background on that photo. How many rounds before that happened? Was it hot loads?

Thanks.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:35 PM   #13
rebs

I returned the magnums to the gun shop and they replaced them with no problem. I feel better using the right ones.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:46 AM   #14
m&p45acp10+1

I have been using LP Magnum primers for a while in .45 ACP. Though my loads are light target loads using cast bullets. On the backing off 10% I say do not back off 10% work up from the starting load. In all lf my .45 acp loads none of them were anywhere close to max loads when they started giving me the the best accuracy.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:05 AM   #15
valleyforge.1777

To the original poster, please don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be insulting or judgmental:

I am just sitting here thinking, "Wow" he bought primers but only bought 100 of them? When I reload, I make a few hundred rounds at a time, and when I buy supplies I buy enough for ten thousand rounds, or more. It is just a different approach. Neither of us does it the "right" way or the "wrong" way, it is just different. I am just thinking wow, I would use up 100 primers in 20 minutes or less of reloading. I am also the kind of guy who buys toilet paper in bulk and I have enough road salt (literally, 2,000 pounds) in my garage to melt ice on my sidewalks and driveway from now until the the middle of the next ice age, so maybe my whole approach to purchasing things is different than many other folks.