The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 20, 2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Xd40HK45

Dpms 308 recon?

I am planning on getting a dpms 308 recon. Anyone have any problems wit this gun? I heard u have to be careful and go slow for the first couple hundred rounds so it doesnt mess up the barrel? Is this true?
Old May 22, 2012, 07:10 AM   #2
rbernie

The gun is solid. Heat build-up is the enemy of any barrel, so any rifle that you care about should not be fired to the point of being too hot to touch or hold unless you have no choice but to do so.
Old May 24, 2012, 07:16 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Just don't do any 'mag dumps' the first few hundred rounds and you'll be fine. DPMS builds a good .308 AR.

Clean it well before firing the first time. I would swab the barrel ever 10-15 rounds the first 50 rounds or so with a clean patch and a drop of clp. When you use a bore brush, run it in the direction of bullet travel only, breech to muzzle and don't pull it back through.