The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
ragwd

small primer flash hole 45 acp

Trying to prime some 45acp found out it has the small primer flash hole ??? whats up with that idea, why?? Also should I use small pistol primers or do they have to be magnum, and how does that effect my power ? where can I find the info on this. Thank you in advance.
Old May 20, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
mrawesome22

You mean small primer pocket?

Sent from MIUI using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #3
ragwd

yes, exactly what i meant. thanks for clearing that up. I did a search and found another thread that pretty much explains everything except why ?
Old May 20, 2012, 02:57 PM   #4
THORN74

U can use STD small pistol primer ... Ive done it for hundreds of times

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
Old May 20, 2012, 03:09 PM   #5
ragwd

Thanks Thorn, Did you adjust the powder at all ?
Old May 20, 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
crowbeaner

I load them with Titegroup or 231 and don't have any problems. I use CCI or WW SPs.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
yes, exactly what i meant. thanks for clearing that up. I did a search and found another thread that pretty much explains everything except why ?
Because the brass and ammo manufacturer's can do as they wish. Regular primers and stay with the same powder weight and good to go.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:05 PM   #8
rclark

Quote:
Because the brass and ammo manufacturer's can do as they wish.
Which is to bad, because .45ACP has been around now over 100 years. You'd think the .45ACP cartridge would be a 'standard' and the primer pocket size would be part of that standard (specification) . Now we reloaders have to deal with .45ACP-L and .45ACP-S .... Just doesn't seem right!!!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:24 PM   #9
BigJimP

The Why is ......The mfg's did that ( put small primer pockets in .45 acp cases ) ...because the primers are Non Toxic..../ that's why the cases are marked " NT " ... or lead free primers...( I don't know if it accomplished anything .....other than raising the cost of ammo )....

Personally, I just toss them out - when I find any NT cases in .45 acp ....and don't fuss with them.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:40 PM   #10
rclark

From the other thread, the boxes I saw were 'identical' (not NT) just one box had small, other had large....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 22, 2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Shootest

The reason that the small primers are being used more in the 45ACP is because of the trend toward the new Non Toxic primer mixture. This mixture is more powerful and it takes less of it to equal the force of the old large primer. Also the same reason for larger flash holes and crimping the primers in place, thus pressure won’t build up in the primer pocket and the primer will not back out. Sometime in the future all will be made with small primers.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:02 PM   #12
rclark

Quote:
Sometime in the future all will be made with small primers.
Hopefully not in my lifetime . I like consistency across the board. I don't shoot 'much' .45ACP ... but still this greenie trend really is getting very irritating.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:11 PM   #13
floydster

45 ACP spp. lpp., I can't take it anymore, that's why I threw my 45 STI in the lake, it's such a hardship, it's beyond confusing.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Don P

Quote:
45 ACP spp. lpp., I can't take it anymore, that's why I threw my 45 STI in the lake, it's such a hardship, it's beyond confusing
Thanks cause I just fished it out of da water. Little earl in the right spots and good to go
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:27 PM   #15
pgdion

Quote:
Now we reloaders have to deal with
Sorry to say, but the ammo manufacturers don't carry about making the lives of reloaders easier. If they can carry fewer different items in inventory, their life is simpler and their costs go down. Getting rid of large pistol primers means life just got simpler for them. Lower costs = more profit and better competitiveness. In some ways, that is actually a win for us too. I guess if my volumes were higher, I'd care more but I just sort and no big deal. I like the small primers myself because that makes my inventory simpler too (all of my other reloads already use small primers.
Old May 25, 2012, 02:01 PM   #16
4runnerman

Small primer,big primer? Who really cares.I load both. Same powder charge same everything other than primer. They shoot as well. It's not a big issue to sort them out.
Old May 25, 2012, 06:49 PM   #17
arch308

I don't really like it. Change is bad, different is wrong! But you have to inspect your cases anyway so I just got another tub for the SP's. When I get enough I load 'em. They make good disposable cases for plinking at the deer lease and such. I use the same loads as allways and can't tell any real difference.
Don't see it's worth complaining about.