The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 19, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1
5.56RifleGuy

Breif Daewoo Overview and review

Daewoo Ar 100

The Daewoo Ar-100 is a semi automatic piston operated 5.56mm rifle. From my searches online I gather that the Koreans came up with the design after using licensed built m16 rifles for a while. In my opinion, they made quite a few improvements.

The Ar 100 takes its design inspiration from quite a few different rifles. It features a aluminum upper and lower receiver similar to the m16 rifle, of which it shares the same caliber. The rifle is set up with a side folding butt stock and adjustable gas system similar to what you would find on some FAL rifles. Internally, it uses a similar bolt and carrier configuration to the M16 style rifles, however a recoil spring in the top of the receiver drives the rifle into firing position rather than a buffer tube, buffer, and spring. The AR 100s charging handle is attached to the bolt on the right side, and reciprocates with each shot. The AR 100 weighs in at 7.2 pounds unloaded.

The plastic grip features a small removable cleaning kit. Ergonomics are similar to what you would find on an ar15, with similar placement of the magazine release and selector switch, however, the selector must be moved 180 degrees to put the rifle into firing mode. The rifle also uses standard ar15 magazines.

The flash hider is a little bit different in that it has slots cut into the top, but none into the bottom. My guess would be that this was done to help alleviate muzzle climb. I have noticed when firing the rifle, you can feel a little push down at the muzzle end.

I’ve fired over 300 rounds with no malfunctions, and also no cleaning. I know it isn’t a huge sample, but I am not made out of money. I have shot the rifle with PMC, Wolf, and Federal 223 ammunition. It didn’t seem to have a problem with any. This rifle seems to shoot on par with my SP1, and I was pretty happy with groupings.

All in all, I am happy with the rifle and look forward to shooting it a lot more.

In summation

What I like:
- Reliable
- Functions with many types of ammo
- Uses inexpensive ar 15 mags
- Adjustable gas system
- Two covenant sling attachment points
- Side folding butt stock for easy stowing (lets be honest, the cool factor)

What I’m not crazy about:
-Not a lot of replacement parts available, but better than before
-Selector switch can be a bit of a pain to operate (however, I have found replacement ones that will make it easier)
Old May 20, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Jo6pak

The 90 degree selector switch from DRP will be the best mod you make to your rifle.

I've had my DR200 for more than 15 years and around 7-8000 rounds. It has been as reliable as an anvil

AR ergos, and accuracy
AK gas system and "mud-gun" reliability
FAL adjustable gas system.

Best of the free world, baby
Old May 20, 2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Te Anau

Sure wish one could buy a new one.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:56 AM   #4
SR420

Post pictures when you can and tell us more about the selector upgrade.

I love my AR 100 especially now that it's suppressor friendly.

Old May 22, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
5.56RifleGuy

Last edited by 5.56RifleGuy; May 22, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Jo6pak

Here is your source for all the Woo-tard goodness
http://daewoorifleparts.com/

They list the 90 degree selectors as sold out. You could try to contact them about getting one, the website isn't always up to date.

The upgraded selector is a simple drop-in part that converts the PITA 180 degree "over the top" switch to a 90 degree throw moving from 3 o'clock to 6o'clock.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:44 PM   #7
B. Lahey

I've wanted one of those for a long time. Saw one at a gunshow recently when I barely had $100 in disposable recreation funds. Very unfortunate.

Have fun, and let me know if you ever want to sell it.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:23 PM   #8
gyvel

I've only seen one major malfunction: A friend of mine, who was a Federal Marshall at the time (1980s), had one and had a kaboom with it. The barrel split at the chamber end which, of course, split the receiver.

He sent it to Daewoo and they immediately replaced the entire gun. Apparently they found some problem and determined that the gun was defective.

Last edited by gyvel; May 23, 2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:41 AM   #9
5.56RifleGuy

Haha wow, hope that doesn't happen to mine. I don't think I could send it back to Korea anymore.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:51 AM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
Haha wow, hope that doesn't happen to mine. I don't think I could send it back to Korea anymore.
If I recall, at the time, they still had a distributor in the U.S. There was nothing hinky about the rounds as they were all factory loads. It was just a freak occurrence, and Daewoo was really good about taking care of it.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:15 AM   #11
SR420

For those that are interested, I found a source for the butt stock extension DLiller is using.

E&L Manufacturing
Old May 29, 2012, 11:50 PM   #12
5.56RifleGuy

I think its pretty nifty. I have all the original stuff for it too.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Skans

The AR-100 was well ahead of its time. I remember when these things came out, folks turned up their noses at them because they were made in Korea. I wish I had bought one then! They're quality rifles.
Old June 7, 2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Pacman

Back in the pre-Clinton days, I had an FFL and sold SKS rifles. A distributor advertized Daewoo rifles in Shotgun News for $328.00. I didn't know much about them, so I contacted a range instructor I knew at Ft. Meade, Maryland, and he stated he was very familiar with the Daewoo and actually preferred it over the M16. He felt the piston action was more reliable than the d.i. system on the M16. I was about to order a half dozen right when Clinton slapped a moratorium on those types of rifles. I regretted not acting sooner and laying my hands on a few when I had the chance.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:01 PM   #15
TNT

For the most part I trust what the Koreans make, I too remember when they came out. They are ahead of their times and I do wish I would have bought one at the time.