The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 17, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Blackthunder

I like Glock’s except for….

I like Glock's except that they do not have an external safety. I like them for their reliability and ergonomics. But the thought of carrying a pre-cocked striker fired handgun with such a light trigger spooks me. I know that the ultimate safety is ones brain. And that manual safeties are just devices that can in theory fail.
What is you opinion on carrying a Glock IWB ( condition one) or any striker fired gun for that matter? Do you think that it is safe or do you prefer a traditional DA design?
Old May 17, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
donato

Having cut my handgunning teeth on an autoloader with an external/manual safety, I much prefer that configuration. However, a good holster that encloses/encases the trigger on any handgun is an important thing. I carry a striker fired handgun in a OWB holster with one in the chamber and don't worry much at all. Of course mine has the external safety. The safeties can be knocked off accidentally too so that's why an appropriate holster is important.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3
laytonj1

It's only partially cocked until you squeeze the trigger back which fully cocks it and releases the firing pin block.
It ain't going off unless you squeeze the trigger.

Jim
Old May 17, 2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

There is no such thing as "condition one" with a Glock.

A Glock with a loaded chamber is half (more or less) cocked and "unlocked" in the sense that there is no safety preventing intentional trigger pull.

My feelings on carrying a Glock loaded and ready are simple: I do it every day. A Glock in its holster is completely safe, irrespective of any other condition. If you can't pull the trigger, it can't go bang.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:33 PM   #5
tomrkba

I've carried a Glock IWB with a round in the chamber for over 10 years. One has to be careful with it, as with any handgun.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Glockstar .40

glocks wont go bang unless the trigger is pulled. get your self a good holster that covers the trigger and youll be fine. ive been carrying my g23 IWB for a few years now....that being said carry what your comfortable with. if a glock is gonna make you so nervous that you wont carry all the time then dont get one. but seriously theres nothin to stress about. just dont pull the trigger while its in your pants
Old May 17, 2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Ozzieman

I’m sure someone soon will accuses you of blasphemy for saying something bad about a Glock,,, any Glock.
But I for one have always wondered why Glock hasn’t. Not for the added safety but for the increased sales for people that have the same concern as you do.
I carry a G 26 and I like the gun, a lot. But had I had a choice of the gun I own and the same gun with an external safety, for me it would have been an easy choice, with. I’m a 1911 fan and carried one in condition 3 for years. Is it any safer than a Glock loaded? No.
There are several other companies that offer guns like the Glock with and without safeties. I’m just surprised that Glock hasn’t.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:55 PM   #8
donato

I'm also surprised that Glock doesn't offer an external safety. And for the old, died-in-the-wool Glocksters, just 'cause it has a safety doesn't mean you have to use it.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:00 PM   #9
MonsterB

I have carried a glock hot for a few years, and have never worried about it being unsafe. I like it because it does not have a safety. Its not needed if you have a good holster, good training, and a respect of the 4 rules.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Aaron1100us

An external safety is just something you have to fumble with in a high stress SD situation, no thanks. As mentioned before, a Glock will not go off unless the trigger is pulled. There is a safety device on the trigger that keeps it from being depressed unless your finger pulls the trigger. No worries here.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
Old May 17, 2012, 07:02 PM   #11
donato

I said, just because it has an external safety doesn't mean that you have to ever use it.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:17 PM   #12
MonsterB

Quote:
I said, just because it has an external safety doesn't mean that you have to ever use it.
Yes thats a great idea, why not have extra parts on the gun you will never use.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:22 PM   #13
donato

Actually, my thinking is that Glock should offer some of their models with a safety. Give you the option of a G26, for example, with an external safety or one without. Some people like handguns with a safety, some don't.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:12 PM   #14
mumbo719

With the Glock you can have the "NY trigger" spring installed. I believe it's 8.5 lbs.

I have carried both striker fired DOA and traditional DA/SA handguns. I prefer the DA/SA myself.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:22 PM   #15
plouffedaddy

FWIW, Glock made G17s with external thumb safeties for a few military contracts but they weren't popular so they discontinued them. But, Brownells and other places sell the same external safety Glock used. It's. A drop in part.

I'd never want a Glock with an external safety, but the option is out there...
Old May 17, 2012, 08:27 PM   #16
farmerboy

Even if you carry a stick and are not careful you can hurt yourself if you're not careful.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:30 PM   #17
jmr40

I'm one of the few that would like to see a 1911 type safety on a Glock. S&W offers, or used to, a version on their 45 M&P. Seems like a good idea. You could use it if you wanted or not use it if you didn't.

That said, as long as a Glock is in a holster, it is just as safe as any other gun. I don't think they are the best choice for a nightstand or glovebox gun. Despite that, they are still my prefered gun.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:32 PM   #18
ScotchMan

Get a Ruger SR series or an M&P.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 18, 2012, 04:06 PM   #19
farmerboy

I like Glocks because they have no safety
My other pistols also have no safety. In law enforcement at times you don't need nothing that could slow you down.
Old May 18, 2012, 04:39 PM   #20
RT

If you like the Glock design but want a superfluous manual safety, just buy a M&P
Old May 18, 2012, 05:37 PM   #21
9mm

Theres a company that you can buy an safety on Glocks and install them. BUT WHY?

I hate the ILock system on the LC9.

Glocks are great, no ILocks BS, no magazine disconnect BS, just pull. Nothing to worry about jamming up the gun.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:01 PM   #22
buckhorn_cortez

Look at the FNS or FNx they have manual safety and if you don't want to use the safety you can decock the gun and use it double action for the first round.
Old May 19, 2012, 07:28 AM   #23
Constantine

Then don't get a Glock lol..

I like them because they don't have safeties.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 19, 2012, 10:45 AM   #24
dgludwig

I think it would be a good idea for Glock to at least offer a safety-equipped version of their pistol as an option for those that want one. Personally, I'd be interested in a variant that had a grip safety, ala the Springfield XD pistol.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:56 AM   #25
RC20

S&W in the MP series offers a safety.

I do agree that as long as a glock is in a holseter, it is perfecly safe.

On the other hand, as long as a gun is in a gun safe it is also perfecly safet.

That said, its when a glock is being taken out or put into the holster it is not safe (and its iffy when you are holding it).

Sooner or latter, if you operate with something inherently dangerous, there is going to be an incident. If there is redundancy in safety, you are more likely its not going to bite you.

Basically a glock has you right on the edge of an incident by its nature.

For glock to offer a safety now would be admittting they were wrong all along. They prefer to see people injured or killed and settel the lawsuits out of court (sealed paper so no one knows how much).

There is a reason the term glock leg came into existence.

Anyone ever see a hunting rifle without a safety? Shotgun?

If you cannot take a safety off when deplying a gun, you should either
1. Carry a DA/SA that is inherently safe removaing that pesky issue
2. Not carry a gun