The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 15, 2012, 07:39 PM   #1
9mm

Heritage rough rider worth my $180?

Or save for a SAA by Ruger?
From what I see on videos and other reviews its a desent gun, though how is the lock up in the cylinder?

Last edited by 9mm; May 15, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
cbuck

i may be mistaken but last time i was at my lgs ruger is still not taking orders and trying to catch up with the ones that were places 6 months ago still so it may be hard to get a ruger. however i had a heritage that i wasnt at all impressed with the accuracy were ive never had a problem with any of my rugers though they are all semi autos

if you can wait or find one in stock id get the ruger, it should outlast the heritage 3-4 times long
Old May 15, 2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Win73

Go with the Ruger. If you have any intention of ever passing it down to the next generation, go with the quality. As an example of the durability of quality, I have a Model 1873 Winchester made in 1891. It is still a good solid gun and very shootable (although I don't shoot it much). My father acquired it about 1930 so it was about 40 years old then. So it is in at least its third and probably fourth generation of ownership. This gun for almost the first hundred years of its life got no special treatment. It just stood in a corner of our farmhouse with the rest of the guns. It was a working gun. A Ruger even halfway cared for properly will last for several lifetimes.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Last edited by Win73; May 15, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Lashlarue

My rough rider has given me 20 years of faithful service...I have a Cimarron 357 that is an exact duplicate of the 1873 Colt, including the firing pin on the hammer and all flat springs. Main spring was narrowed a bit, 2lb pull.Have a NAA 22m with 1 5/8" barrel and a Earl with the 4" barrel.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Shadi Khalil

The Rugers are big, pretty and durable as all get out. The New Vaquero's are not as beefy as the "old" but mines in .357 so no worries. Ruger is having some inventory problems but I don't think you should have much trouble finding a Vaquero. There are tons of them out there as SA's are not as popular as the DA models.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6
22-rimfire

You will get different views of the Heritage Rough Rider. They work. They shoot. They generally have a finish that is not durable and the "fit" is generally not as good as a Ruger. I personally would save a bit more money and get the Single Six or spend a bit more money and get the Single Ten if you want a good single action 22 revolver. But If the choice was to get nothing for another year or buy the Heritage, I'd buy the Heritage and start saving for it's replacement.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #7
dabluesguy

I have a Rough Rider and Vaquero, both in 357. Both shoot well and are fun guns, but there is no comparison in the fit and finish. Ruger wins hands down. But the Ruger costs nearly 3 times as much. As they say, you get what you pay for. I think you'd be happy with either.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:03 PM   #8
rclark

For finish, the Ruger wins hands down. That said, I've had a lot of good fun with my Rough Rider and is always in my shooting bag. Mine is hitting very close to POA out of the box. Accurate little .22. Trigger pull isn't 'that' bad.... It also has the traditional three clicks to cock, and half cock to load. Downside, is the safety is an eyesore and frame appears to be painted pop metal. Worth the money? Your call, but mine is still shooting after many boxes of .22LR ammo, and the steel out at 77 yards still go 'ping'! Starting to use mine to for cheap hip shooting practice now.
A clinger. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes improperly referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. Ok.... the .44Spec is growing on me ... but the .45 Colt is still king.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Hawg Haggen

I'm not a big fan of Ruger SA's but that godawful hammer block safety on the Heritage ruins it for me. I'd go with the Ruger.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:40 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
But If the choice was to get nothing for another year or buy the Heritage, I'd buy the Heritage and start saving for it's replacement.
I like this rationale-but I'd get the Ruger asap.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:15 PM   #11
9mm

Thanks guys, I did a lot of reading and I think Ill stay with the Ruger line, a single ten maybe.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:31 PM   #12
aarondhgraham

Hey, they meet a need,,,

Granted the Heritage guns are low end,,,
But if that's all one can afford it's a good enough gun.

I have a friend whose girlfriend took to sport shooting,,,
He (they) have no money at all to speak of,,,
So they were looking at cheap semi's,,,
Phoenix and such like guns.

Then they found some Heritage revolvers for $145.00 each,,,
So now they both have handguns they can shoot with.

Again they are not Rugers, Colts, or S&W's,,,
But these two have an absolute ball with their guns.

I whomped up a couple of rough holsters for them out of scrap leather,,,
I do guarantee that no one out there with a pair of $1,000 pistols,,,
Has more fun than these two with their Heritage El-Cheapo's.

Sure they'll probably wear them out before their first kid arrives,,,
But they will have had a ton-of-fun while doing so.

They both talk about getting better guns,,,
I keep asking them why would they need to do that.

I advise maybe getting a better gun as a home/self defense weapon,,,
But for just going to their pasture and killing tin cans,,,
They have all the guns they really need.

They go through at least two 550 round bulk packs a month,,,
Their cheap six-shooters are still tight and reliable.

One doesn't need a Colt-Ruger-S&W to have fun.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 16, 2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Strafer Gott

I have a Heritage. It is not pretty, but like most .22's it shoots good enough.
Is it a S&W 41? No, but most shooter's won't appreciate the difference.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Hawg Haggen

As far as cheap guns go I'd love to have another RG 66. I'm sure the Heritage is a decent gun it's just that dang safety I can't get around.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:56 PM   #15
shortwave

I wished I'd had the same luck with my Heritage 22 as others here. It's been a while but IIRC, mine didn't make it through the 3rd brick of 22's. Went out of time and started saving lead badly.

It's been laying somewhere in the safe for at least a couple years. Actually forgot about it till this thread. One day I'll get it out ,fiddle with and see if I can screw it up real good.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:03 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

'Pends on what you want in a gun. The Ruger is a well built gun that will hold up for generations as a great shooter, and family heirloom. The Rough Rider is a usable gun, but not of the quality of the Ruger. If it is going to be just a range plinker, and you aren't worried with retained value the Rough rider can be a fun gun. I have the 6" model with the 22 LR and 22 Magnum cylinders. It took a little tweaking, but is quite accurate. Just not the nicely finished gun the ruger is, but it filled my needs.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 16, 2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Crazy88Fingers

For the cost of a Ruger, there is a long list of guns I'd rather have than a SA .22.

I got the Heritage because it's a cheap gun that shoots cheap ammo. I'm about halfway through my second brick, and she's still kicking. I don't expect it to be listed in my last will and testament, but I do expect to get my money's worth. If/When it wears out I can buy another one, and still have less money invested than if I had bought a new Single Six.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:00 AM   #18
Walklightly

Quote:
From what I see on videos and other reviews its a desent gun,
I heard they are "Decent". As far as desent?, I don't know, but I don't want to sound sarcastic, but for $180? If you have to axed,......Don't buy the Ruger, then call Geico Mate.

9mm OP#11

Quote:
Thanks guys, I did a lot of reading and I think Ill stay with the Ruger line, a single ten maybe.
ataboy!

Now it's time to become a Ruger snob, and look down at the frugal people that bought a????? Now as you know, with out a doubt, you went the right route.

Walklightly, ask questions later.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:44 AM   #19
jtmckinney

My Rough Rider Has Been Good

I bought it lightly used, still with box and paperwork 1 1/2 years ago. Fixed sights and 22 mag cylinder. Both cylinders work fine, all the target and range action has been with 22lr mainly because of ammo cost. Probably shot a brick of cheap 22lr with no problems.

The safety doesn't bother me, it's design is so simple and doesn't complicate the action. I am sure the Ruger has a better trigger but the trigger on the RR I have is ok.

Any time I shoot with someone that doesn't shoot very much it gets used. Size and weight make it good for someone with smaller hands (compared to my other full sized revolvers).

I think it is a good value, don't need 2 so I won't buy another.

Have a great day!
James
Old May 17, 2012, 06:13 PM   #20
microman

The Heritage is an ok well built gun. The Ruger is higher quality but, it all depends on how much you want to put into it.

Now if you are going to go for the Heritage try to get the new models
that hold 9 rounds as opposed to the six round cylinder.

http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/Pr...oductCode=9705
Old May 18, 2012, 03:04 AM   #21
Doug Bowser

When I had my gunshop in the late 90's, the Heritage .22 SA were not very good. We had 3 of them and I had 3 came back out of time. The internal parts were frail and not worthy of much use. I have a Ruger SA .22 and the internal parts are three times more sturdy than the Heraige parts. Buy the blued Ruger, used.

Doug
Old May 18, 2012, 08:53 PM   #22
Newton24b

why does everyone need to pee on the heritage? its a good gun. sure the finish isnt the same as on a K22, but its not meant to be.

id much rather spend 180 on a nice 6.5 inch barreled heritage that shoots penny sized groups at 25 yards with the cheapest ammo you can find at kmart or walmart. Then to go spend 500 on a ruger that needs .40 cent a round target ammo so it can stay inside a softball at 25 yards.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:28 PM   #23
newfrontier45

Quote:
id much rather spend 180 on a nice 6.5 inch barreled heritage that shoots penny sized groups at 25 yards with the cheapest ammo you can find at kmart or walmart.
I'd love to see this. I've never seen a Rough Rider range report where one shot better than 3" at 25yds. If yours shoots into a penny with cheap ammo, that's better than 90% of K-22's and Colt's. Into Freedom Arms country. Which makes me think that this is just exaggerated BS.

I have four Single Sixes and not one of them cost me $500. They were $200, $225, $250 and $420 and all bought within the last ten years. The costliest being a rather scarce drift adjustable .32H&R Bisley. I looked at a new blued Single Ten this week and it was not much more than $400.

So the real question is, why would you waste $180 on a pot metal, spray painted el cheapo that won't last, rather than $250-$300 for a used Ruger that will last several lifetimes??? Dime smart and dollar stupid.
Old May 19, 2012, 01:08 PM   #24
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
id much rather spend 180 on a nice 6.5 inch barreled heritage that shoots penny sized groups at 25 yards with the cheapest ammo you can find at kmart or walmart.

I'd love to see this.
Me too. In fact, I'd bet against it happening even if the Heritage (or, as you argue, almost any other high buck target revolver available today) was clamped firmly into a Ransom Rest. Credibility can get lost in the Sea of Exaggeration.

Last edited by dgludwig; May 19, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 01:16 PM   #25
newfrontier45

Revolvers should be compared to other revolvers, not .22's to .22's. It is completely unreasonable to expect a $500 revolver to shoot as well as a $300 fixed barrel auto like the Ruger MK-series or Browning Buckmark. Hell, my Buckmark Bullseye will give me a quarter inch on occasion but it has always been exceptionally accurate, has a crisp 2lb trigger and wears a 4x target scope. In the revolver world, 1"@25yds is very, very good. Anything better is exceptional or the product of Freedom Arms. So a big fat red flag goes up when I hear somebody say they shoot half inch groups at 25yds with an el cheapo revolver shooting bulk ammo. Been around the block too many times to buy that story.