The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 15, 2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Denezin

OC in vehicles in tennessee?

Im from NC where open carry is fine in your car. But in TN it states you have to have a license/permit to OC in a car. Can someone give me some clarity on this law?
Old May 15, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
krunchnik

In Tennessee we need a HCP or handgun carry permit by its full name to carry on your person or in a vehicle,the permit is mandatory either way,no provisions are made without the permit.We can carry however either concealed or non concealed by our law.No printing worries or weapons brandishing charges here from a person just getting a glimpse of a weapon.I hope this helps
Also on a side note a person must carry their permit at all times when armed.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:52 AM   #3
Denezin

Sorta. So what do i do if im out of state resident of TN?
Old May 16, 2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denezin
...So what do i do if im out of state resident of TN?
Are you really asking what you do if you're not a resident of Tennessee, you're visiting there and want to carry a gun?

I'd say that the answer is to get a carry permit from another State that is recognized in Tennessee.

Check out Handgun Law.us. According to them, Tennessee recognizes permits issued by all other States. So if you have your North Carolina permit, or a permit issued by one of the many State which issues non-resident permits, you should be covered.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 16, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Denezin

im asking what i need to carry only in my car. Not CC
Old May 16, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denezin
im asking what i need to carry only in my car. Not CC
But in Tennessee, you can't carry in your car without a permit recognized by Tennessee.

If you are not a Tennessee resident and don't have a Tennessee permit, you will need a permit from another State. Without a permit, you may not carry in your car in Tennessee.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 17, 2012, 01:34 AM   #7
Denezin

Gotcha so would i need to take the route of a CC or aquire a permit from TN. I have the feelin if i ever head that way im just not gonna carry in my car or at all.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:26 PM   #8
langenc

Just like in MI. In vehicle is considered concealled even if lying on dash.
CPL required to carry in vehicle. Most every states permits are recgonized-buy not non-resident permits.

ie if a res of Tenn then MI would recgonized TN permit but NOT a FL permit held by a TN resident-I think. Check the carry website.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:09 PM   #9
patrickmn

Tennessee recognizes permits from the 48 other states that have them.

If you don't have a permit, you can still transport it unloaded with the ammo and magazines separated from the gun and gun separated from the people.
Old June 13, 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
TennJed

I wanted to mention something else about Tennessee. I am a Mississippi resident but live 5 miles from Tennessee. I work in TN and cross over almost daily. My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that you can carry an unloaded gun in the car without a permit as stated above. The ammo must be separate, the thing I wanted to point out is that you cannot have the gun loaded or unloaded in the glovebox, center console, ect it must be in view or in a locked gun case
Old June 13, 2012, 10:52 PM   #11
hermannr

Loaded carry requires a permit in TN, no matter where you are from, or how you carry. In other states OC is unrestricted, but not TN (or OK until Nov 1) you have to live by the rules of the state you are in, just like with traffic laws.