The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 11, 2012, 08:47 PM   #1
ledcoldsteel

bushmaster vs stag

Was at DSGs today and was suprised to see Ars ,,the BM 16 m4..and the stag M3 model..both 223/556 and both metal uppers...anyone have any expirence and or opinions pros and cons of these two rifles...thanks for ya replies ps just gonna be used for the range, and to have ,If and when the deuce hits the windmill..tks again
Old May 11, 2012, 10:02 PM   #2
theunderdog1982

Not going to say anything about the stag because I never owned one so I can't comment but the Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine is what I have and its worked flawlessly since i've had it and has proper staked gas keys,m4 feed ramps, black crano ring and carbine length buffer.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:05 PM   #3
attila787

No contest Stag all the way. If I'm not mistaken they give lifetime warranty that right there says a lot.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:59 AM   #4
CDW4ME

I have a Stag 2T, its been shot about 250 (?) times of various ammo (including some of my handloads) and worked flawlessly so far.

From the threads I've seen, nearly everyone that owns a Stag has been satisfied with it.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:29 AM   #5
wingman

I have a Stag M3, I added a Gessiele SSA-E trigger no other mods it will give me .500-.750 groups with my reloads overall an excellent rifle have no experience with Bushmaster.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:33 AM   #6
10Ringmagic

I've never shot a stag, but I love my Bushy which I purchased in October of '08 (go figure).
Old May 12, 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
TMD

I have three Stags. One of them has about 10,000 rounds through it and will still hold MOA with the right ammo. Also Stag offers a lifetime warranty on their barrels.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:17 PM   #8
eldorendo

I've built several ARs using stripped Stag lowers. They seem to be excellent. If the OP is talking about the current DPMS/Remmy/Bushmaster Bushmasters, then I'd probably decline owning one. If you're talking about a Bushy made in the Windham plant, then I'd heartily recommend it.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:22 PM   #9
FrosSsT

Quote:
No contest Stag all the way. If I'm not mistaken they give lifetime warranty that right there says a lot.
The stag "lifetime warranty" is for defects in materials (meaning the metal miraculously falling apart). The warranty on the parts and accessories is for 1 year. Bushmaster's warranty for everything is 1 year and 10 days. So for the internal parts which is what matters the most - Bushmaster wins by 10 days. I own a bushmaster m4a3 and the thing is flawless. Comparing AR's today is alot like comparing what flat screen tv to buy, there are a few duds, but 95% of them are all the same. Bushmaster is no dud. No contest? I think not.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Skadoosh

Both are excellent rifles. Buy the least expensive one and shoot the snot out of it.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:39 PM   #11
droptrd

Quote:
Comparing AR's today is alot like comparing what flat screen tv to buy, there are a few duds, but 95% of them are all the same. Bushmaster is no dud. No contest? I think not.
Im really starting to agree with this lately. I think there is a price point to stay above as a guideline. I think people have their brand favorites. But brand loyaly aside, I dont see much difference. The arguement "this part is milspec and this part isnt so it sucks" is also a bunch of BS. So Bushmaster vs Stag - Either.

What was your first impression of the 2?
Old May 12, 2012, 04:44 PM   #12
rebs

IMHO the Bushmasters that were made in Windham by the old Bushmaster are better than the ones made by Remington in Ilion, NY. The Stag is a very very good AR. I have friends that own all three, it appears the old Bushmaster's are on par with the Stag and the Remington made Bushmaster would be my last choice.

Take a close look at the new Windham Weaponry AR's, they are being made back at the original Bushmaster plant in Windham and I have heard they are excellent quality like the original Bushmaster's.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Master Blaster 2

Get a Superior Arms AR-15

Made in IOWA

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; May 14, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Skadoosh

Quote:
Get a Superior Arms AR-15
With out offering any reasons as to why, this statement is useless.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:19 PM   #15
eldorendo

"Stag Arms LLC firearms are warranted to be free
from defects in materials and craftsmanship to the
initial retail purchaser for the lifetime of a rifle. Stag
Arms LLC will remedy any such defect of which Stag
Arms LLC is given written notice. The liability of Stag
Arms LLC under this warranty shall be limited solely
to the obligation to repair or replace the firearm or
defect at its discretion, and to pay transportation and
insurance charges for return of the firearm to owner
for a rightful warranty claim."

From Stag's AR manual. Somebody needs to read it again! It's an all-inclusive, GENUINE, lifetime warranty. If something breaks, they'll fix it...forever, for the initial retail purchaser.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:54 PM   #16
theunderdog1982

Quote:
IMHO the Bushmasters that were made in Windham by the old Bushmaster are better than the ones made by Remington in Ilion, NY. The Stag is a very very good AR. I have friends that own all three, it appears the old Bushmaster's are on par with the Stag and the Remington made Bushmaster would be my last choice.

Take a close look at the new Windham Weaponry AR's, they are being made back at the original Bushmaster plant in Windham and I have heard they are excellent quality like the original Bushmaster's.
And you know this how? Do you own any Bushmaster's from the Remington plant or did you just come to the conclusion that their not good rifles because of what you read on some forum.

Every brand of AR has someone complain about something wrong with it. Google works wonders to find problems with rifles.

I own a Bushmaster from the Remington plant and its made pretty good I got pics to prove its got proper staked gas keys and so on. My friend also owns a new Bushmaster and his is just like mine.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:37 AM   #17
evoasis

Is there any different processes with metal treatment etc? I heard certain brands have a better metal quality than others.. Alloy types etc.. Bushmaster has always been a reliable brand, and I don't see a difference between the two; I'd say go big and build what you want from scratch.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:38 AM   #18
rebs

Quote:
And you know this how? Do you own any Bushmaster's from the Remington plant or did you just come to the conclusion that their not good rifles because of what you read on some forum.
There are two guys in our gun club that have the Remington Bushmaster and both have had problems with them. The trigger on both were terrible and one cannot get a group under 3 inches at 100 yards, and had a defective bolt right from the get go. Remington replaced the bolt.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:27 AM   #19
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoasis
Is there any different processes with metal treatment etc? I heard certain brands have a better metal quality than others.. Alloy types etc.. Bushmaster has always been a reliable brand, and I don't see a difference between the two; I'd say go big and build what you want from scratch.
95% of AR brands use forged 7075 upper/lower, minor differences in the type of finish on these two parts. RE's can be commercial diameter or mil-spec diameter. Most RE's are extruded 6000 series, a true mil-spec is forged 7075.
Different barrel steel grades. Mil-spec bolts have a specified series of testing and material specs. For most users the steel grade and testing makes little difference, but there is a difference.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:51 AM   #20
theunderdog1982

Quote:
There are two guys in our gun club that have the Remington Bushmaster and both have had problems with them. The trigger on both were terrible and one cannot get a group under 3 inches at 100 yards, and had a defective bolt right from the get go. Remington replaced the bolt.
Ok so a couple of guys had problems, but yet bushmaster sells thousands of rifles a year.. I could cherry pick problems with any company and then say they suck.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:55 AM   #21
CDW4ME

Another option: Windham
Windham is made by former Bushmaster employees that were left out of a job after production was moved away from the Maine factory.
Wal-Mart sells the Windham SRC (optics ready) for ~$800
The Windham has M4 feedramps, chrome lined barrel, 4150 barrel steel, staked bolt, and lifetime warranty.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:28 AM   #22
rebs

Quote:
Ok so a couple of guys had problems, but yet bushmaster sells thousands of rifles a year.. I could cherry pick problems with any company and then say they suck.
I didn't say they suck, simply stating the problem two people in our gun club had with theirs. I am sure there are people that are happy with them.
I was just stating my opinion and from knowing two people with problems, I would prefer the original Bushmaster or the Stag.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:46 PM   #23
FrosSsT

Quote:
"Stag Arms LLC firearms are warranted to be free
from defects in materials and craftsmanship to the
initial retail purchaser for the lifetime of a rifle. Stag
Arms LLC will remedy any such defect of which Stag
Arms LLC is given written notice. The liability of Stag
Arms LLC under this warranty shall be limited solely
to the obligation to repair or replace the firearm or
defect at its discretion, and to pay transportation and
insurance charges for return of the firearm to owner
for a rightful warranty claim."

From Stag's AR manual. Somebody needs to read it again! It's an all-inclusive, GENUINE, lifetime warranty. If something breaks, they'll fix it...forever, for the initial retail purchaser.
You must not have read it very well sir, it says clearly that only their materials and craftsmanship is given a lifetime warranty - meaning they will not replace parts/ Internal parts of an AR break or malfunction, not the metal exterior of the rifle (save for extremely rare cases). Below is a link of the catalog and page number clearly stating that the parts of the rifle are only warrantied for 1 year.

http://www.mlppubsonline.com/publication/?i=93458 - Page 40
Old May 13, 2012, 09:02 PM   #24
BIG P

STAG & I dont need a warranty,Like thats a GAME stopper
Old May 13, 2012, 09:19 PM   #25
evoasis

Thanks for the clarity, how about Sig's?? I was just at Walmart and got to checkin' out their m400 they have in stock. Looked like a nice rifle, might even convince the wife to buy it! hahha

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...-od-green.aspx