The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 17, 2012, 07:41 AM   #26
akguy1985

I would start with the swiss rifles. I remember back in 05-06 they were $100 at the gunshow all day long. now they are $300
Old May 17, 2012, 12:34 PM   #27
ks_wayward_son

Reading a recent article from Shotgun News, within the next couple of years or so the Russians are going to be destroying around 4 million (could have been more) milsurp firearms to provide more jobs for the populace in the arsenals. Mosins, Nagant pistols, Tokarevs, SKS's and the like are to be on the list. That would definitely have some bearing on price and availability in the future, I would think. Within the last year, I noticed how the 91/30's are starting to hike already. A few years ago, I bought a hex receiver for 79. Now they are 100. Also the round receivers are going up also. The hex is a Tula, I still need to get me an Izzy just cuz. Therefore, I would get the Russians while you can. As a matter of fact, I've been putting off the Nagant pistol for a long while and I might just have to buckle down and shell out the excessive 100 bucks or so.
Old May 17, 2012, 02:44 PM   #28
ronz

Read that also next time I see a sale on either one I’m going to get it
Just hope I don’t wait to save $10 and miss the good prices completely
Old May 24, 2012, 01:47 AM   #29
ronz

Just got the cz-24 today
I am one happy camper
First thing I noticed was a small area of rust on the barrel struck me as kind of odd as the gun appeared to be freshly cleaned and oiled
10 seconds with a brass brush or steel wool spot would be gone then I notice some deeper small gashes spots scratches however you would refer to them
Then it sinks in they look like shrapnel hits so the spot on the barrel was probably intentionally left that way because it was a shrapnel hit
Slide still has most of the bluing on it and the inside of the barrel is perfect it gun looks almost new
Another thing is some marks on the left grip don’t quite look like it was a mistake in manufacturing
What do you think?

Old May 24, 2012, 08:59 AM   #30
jsmaye

We all like to think that the nicks, dings, and scars on our milsurps are all "combat damage" from the heat of battle, even to the point where some wag their fingers disapprovingly at those who wish to do some restoration. I think most of it is just from clumsy handling from tired, cold, careless, (and in old Eastern Bloc countries, drunk) personnel.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:50 AM   #31
ronz

Hard to tell from a picture but I circled what I was thinking were shrapnel hits
Not all the scratches just a few really deep gouges
No proof but this should be a ww2 bring back
Old May 24, 2012, 10:04 AM   #32
Grant D

Grant did they accept your c&r or did you have to pay for the background check

ronz: All I had to do was hand them the money,fill out the form, and walk out the door with it.
Now with my CHL license it takes even less time to buy a firearm.
Old June 7, 2012, 04:40 AM   #33
ronz

Picked up a rifle last night Ishapore 2a in 308 the PO referred to it as an Enfield 4 is it the same thing?
All the metal parts were painted PO said he thought it was from an arsenal refinish He wanted to strip and reblue it. I have only done a little researching on it so far I wanted to get it to the range more than to learn about it. But from what I read so far it should have been issued painted originally
I would also like to put on a rear ring sight
It was made in 1967 so don’t think these have a lot of historical significance that tapping the receiver would be a big NO NO
So think I’m going to drill and tap the receiver for the sight to get the longer sight radius
Rather than just replacing the rear sight with an aftermarket rig

Old June 7, 2012, 11:18 PM   #34
kilimanjaro

Definitely the Swiss and Swedish for appreciation, they will go nowhere but up. Also pick up a couple of the nicest Mosin-Nagants you can find, one in WWII date and one pre-1937, just for fun. The M44 Mosin-Nagant carbine is a desireable rifle, hard to find now. Get a Nagant pistol or two, they are cheap and won't drop in price. Be sure to get the Lee-Enfield SMLE and No. 4, and a real No. 5 if you can find one. Get the best condition you can afford the day you buy one. Don't forget the MI rifle and carbine, 03A3, and of course any K98 Mauser in matching condition, and be sure to pick up a Russian Capture K98, they came on the market and disappeared, always popular.
Old June 8, 2012, 02:29 PM   #35
troopcom

Quote:
K31. K31. K31. They are going to rocket up in price over the next few years.
I agree! K31, K31, K31 that should be your first purchase! IMO.
Old June 9, 2012, 03:23 AM   #36
ronz

I thought there was going to be a k-31 when I went to trade he brought like 7 rifles but no k-31 he had a Swedish 7.5 in really nice shape that I almost got instead of the 308 but he wanted $400 for it and I honestly had no idea about how much they went for or anything about them we did a straight up trade for the 308 ($250) so didn’t have to add anything and already have everything for 308
but I have a spot reserved in the safe reserved for a k-31 that’s one reason I almost got the Swedish 7.5 figuring I would get the k-31 so would need to get the 7.5 dies anyways but there is a gun show next weekend so if I don’t find one there I will probably order one
Old June 9, 2012, 07:23 PM   #37
kilimanjaro

A good Swedish Mauser runs about $300-$400 up here, depending on condition and the seller's immediate need for money. Getting harder to find, that's for certain.
Old June 10, 2012, 02:36 AM   #38
ronz

The Swedish was in excellent condition
When I first saw the Ishapore was like ewe is that thing butt ugly and looks like crap
but when I learned that it was originally chambered for 308, had a chrome lined bore shot good and the recoil wasn’t bad it kinda grew on me
I can’t wait to tear it down and start fixing it up
I have been busy so haven’t had a lot of time to read up on it but from what I have so far I think the crappy finish that looks like it was put on a dirty muddy rifle with a can of spray paint might be original so it’s a perfect candidate to try my first paint job on even if I totally f it up it will probably still look better than when brand new
But I really want some new sights they had some rear peep sights something like this in a clearance bin at the lgs
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/326...ack?cm_vc=S014
will probably get something like this also if it will work
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504..._vc=S015326669
Old June 12, 2012, 12:11 AM   #39
Ignition Override

ronz:
If you have any real interest in WW2, and it can fit your budget, a Service Grade Garand from the CMP.

Other than that, either the Swiss K-31 or if another Enfield appeals to you, a #4/Mk.1.
Hopefully you have access to a gun shows or shops with a milsurp selection, where you can check the rifling/bore condition with a bore light etc.

Maybe later, to shoot about the lowest-priced modern (non-corr.) centerfire ammo, how about a Russian SKS, which has the chrome-lined bore (as with Chinese) and the blade bayonet?
Old June 14, 2012, 11:14 AM   #40
whitefeathersniper

When I first got mine, I was going for an example or a little of everything.
Old June 14, 2012, 11:26 AM   #41
Kentucky-75

SKS's used to be a good deal. Back in 2002 a Yugo SKS was selling for $99 at Centerfire Systems in Versailles KY. Today I see the SKS going for $250 and even higher.
Old June 14, 2012, 03:35 PM   #42
gandog56

Quote:
I wouldn't waste my time with a Mosin sniper.
I would.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...56/SAgroup.jpg
Old June 15, 2012, 01:03 AM   #43
ronz

The ww2 guns interest me the most just thinking about what they have been through and where then it would be cold war soviet stuff
But that being said I’m also a stickler for accuracy if it isn’t accurate I won’t take it to the range and will just end up a safe queen and getting my c&r really devastated my bank account so until I start selling off some stuff I’m just looking for trades now and the next rifle will depend on how the Ishapor turns out
If it’s not accurate enough for me the next rifle will be a k-31 if it is may wait for a deal on a k-31 a Garand or something from ww2
I have wanted a Garand for years but price always kept me from getting one was thinking about getting the CMP special in 308 hindsight being 20/20 probably should have got the Garand first but spent a lot more than I planned on
Thinking that the soviet pistols were the best deals going on now and very limited space for any more rifles and I am just in love with the 7.62x25 picked up a TTC, M-57, CZ-52 think that’s all of them besides for the sub machineguns converted to semi auto also got a couple of makarov’s P-63 & CZ-82

Nice shot group gandog
How many yards was that shot at?
Old June 16, 2012, 10:18 PM   #44
gandog56

Quote:
Being new to the world of 03 c&r what should I concentrate on getting right away
A bigger bank account?
Old June 17, 2012, 12:05 AM   #45
ronz

I would have just bought more expensive stuff and would still be broke
Picked this up today traded a bow for it. A .32 Beretta bring back
I had some doubts about it being a bring back because of the alloy frame and It’s stamped made in Italy
After the trade he told me all he knew was that his grandpa told him he brought it back from ww2
We made the trade at a gun show where I ran into a dealer I know and he thought it was a bring back
Might be broke but still a happy camper

Old June 17, 2012, 03:42 AM   #46
ronz

Well think I was right about it being a post war
think it is a model 70
(xxii) so made in 1966
guess that means I dont need to enter it