The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
framis

Load master problems.

I recently got a load master from my son. The indexing is miserable. Had it been a buy item I would not buy it. Free is OK. The indexing is poorly made a complete cam assembly should have been built in. Any suggestions to solve this other than throw it away?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 10, 2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Language
Old May 8, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Vance

I bought one, used it for a couple of months and decided I didn't like how it worked. Indexing was one of the things I didn't like. Nothing can be done for it except keep the indexing rod greased. I sold mine on ebay and bought a Dillon Square Deal B. Did not regret that purchase.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Edward429451

Life's too short to (have) cheap tools. Dillon all the way, no regrets.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
jimkim

If you remove the rod, will that make it a manual advance like the RL-550, or is that connected to something else?
Old May 9, 2012, 06:39 PM   #5
PaulTX

Take a look at the videos here for setup and operating information:

Loadmaster Videos

Paul
Old May 9, 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Vance

Quote:
jimkim
If you remove the rod, will that make it a manual advance like the RL-550, or is that connected to something else?
It will advance manually. It didn't make a difference to me. continual fiddling to get it to work is not my idea of an enjoyable reloading session. I have a Lee single stage press and a Lee Classic Turret also. Both of those work like they are supposed to. The Dillon SDB is set up for 357 magnum. The single stage gets used for various jobs and I don't use the turret anymore. I bought a Pro 1000 for reloading 223, but have discovered that it does not prime very well. I should have known better about Lee progressives. I will be saving my pennies to get a Dillon 650 to replace the Pro 1000 and maybe the SDB.

At the time I bought the SDB, I had no plans to reload rifle calibers.

Last edited by Vance; May 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Old 454

I have a loadmaster also, and yes at times it can be finicky with the index, but I found alot of my problems was trying to go to fast and when I slowed down a bit and just used a slower and even stroke alot of the indexing issues were resolved.

My biggest pet peeve with it is the priming system, that will miss primers in my opinion to many times.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #8
tom234

Check out this Forum:
http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/f...a8c0a58348cd2d

I was almost bought a Loadmaster and intended to tinker with it. After realizing the priming was on the up stroke, where you really can't feel what is going on, I decided against it. When LEE sells and recommends a primer explosion shield that added to my decision.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:50 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
I recently got a load master from my son. The indexing is miserable. Had it been a buy item I would not buy it. Free is OK. The indexing is poorly made a complete cam assembly should have been built in. Any suggestions to solve this other than throw it away?
I'll give you fifty bucks for it.

You might want to check out http://loadmastervideos.com/.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 10, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Vance

Quote:
Old 454
I have a loadmaster also, and yes at times it can be finicky with the index, but I found alot of my problems was trying to go to fast and when I slowed down a bit and just used a slower and even stroke alot of the indexing issues were resolved.

My biggest pet peeve with it is the priming system, that will miss primers in my opinion to many times.
I recently read somewhere (I can't remember where), that Lee has released an updated primer feed trough that solves the missed primer problem. I'm not going to buy a new one to try it out.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:40 AM   #11
jimkim

I was asking more out of curiosity. If there was a way to modify one so it didn't do so much stuff at the same time, I might buy one. I kinda like manual advance and manual priming like on my Dillon RL300. I thought about getting a LM if there was a way to remove all that finicky automatic crap.
Old May 10, 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Old 454

For my loadmaster I dont use the the automatic case or bullet feed, I can do quit well with out them and me being new to reloading I can check my procedures much bettor.

also another good site for questions about the finicky indexing is

www.titanreloading.com

Denise is the owner and a Lee dealer, he has a real good FAQ and trouble shooting on his his web site. And buy the way he he has some great prices to.

Forgot to mention for the indexing rod I put a little STP on the rod and the ram to smooth it out a little and that also helped.

Also check the indexing rod for wear and burrs and make sure the flipper on the rod is not wore out.

Also check to make sure its not out of time that can play hell with indexing to.

All in all with the exception of the primer issue I would not hesitate to buy another one, and my just do that especially when I can get a brand new one in the caliber that I want for $218 bucks at titan.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:28 PM   #13
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance View Post
I recently read somewhere (I can't remember where), that Lee has released an updated primer feed trough that solves the missed primer problem. I'm not going to buy a new one to try it out.
I sent lee precision an email after my pos primer feed system busted on me loadmaster. They sent me the new setup as replacement no charge. I wonder how many parts they replace a week...gotta be a lot. If I had the chance to buy mine over again I probably wouldn't. The priming system is just terrible in my opinion. However it has improved a little since the new setup

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old May 10, 2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Edward429451

Shhhh! Keep it down, or you'll anger the Lee Fanbois...
Old May 10, 2012, 06:48 PM   #15
eldorendo

I loaded tens of thousands of rounds, tediously, on a Loadmaster. Finally wised up and bought a Dillon 650. Gave the Loadmaster to a guy on another forum, but assured him it wasn't worth the postage.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:43 PM   #16
rdelpino

Loadmaster primeing problem

Remove the O ring from the swing arm. Solved my problem. Rich.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:54 PM   #17
rdelpino

Loadmaster timeing Old 454 is right

Had index issues,adjusting the timeing was easy and it worked Rich.
Old June 17, 2012, 03:22 PM   #18
stebbinsgr

Priming Problems with Loadmaster

I have had my Loadmaster a couple of weeks. Yes I have experienced the priming issue everyone else is describing. Keep in mind some of this may have to do with your cartridge cases. If there are variations in the primer holes the primer can flip or get crushed or knocked away and end up in the bottom of the spent primer catch system. At the moment I am hand priming with a Lee EZ Prime. I am sure Lee engineers are working a better more reliable primer feed system. But even if you have to pre-prime your cases I can still load with reasonable time savings when I compare it to the length time reloading with my Lee Classic Turret which requires several more strokes to produce one complete cartridge. Also if you price one those Blue Presses (Dillon) it will cost you the price of THREE Loadmasters.
Old June 17, 2012, 04:06 PM   #19
Don P

Quote:
I recently got a load master from my son.
Send me a PM and I'll supply my address and you can mail/ship it to me C.O.D. for the shipping and I'll get it working as it should.
Go to Lee's web sight and watch the videos they provide.
By the way why would you want to hurt you sons feeling by throwing away his gift to you?

Read the instructions and watch the videos and we have faith that you can make it work as intended.

And I knew there would have to be someone posting that you should get a Dillon and spend 3-4 times the money over Lee equipment.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 17, 2012, 07:28 PM   #20
Vance

Why not when Dillon presses work the way they should right out of the box with no fiddling?
Old June 18, 2012, 09:52 AM   #21
Edward429451

I had a problem once with my 550 priming system. I called Dillon and they told me which screw was loose.

Dillon owners can't get around the fact that Dillon stuff is 3 to 4 times as expensive as Lee. Lee owners can't get around the fact that Dillon stuff is 10 times better than Lee. Therein is your value.
Old June 18, 2012, 10:48 AM   #22
Lead Express

a small adjustment on the bottom bolt will solve the indexing issues, and stays true for quite some time. Your turret is just slightly misaligned.

Videos posted above, and good luck!

Last edited by Lead Express; June 18, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:42 AM   #23
Jerry11826

Hi framis,

I was surprised to hear of your indexing problems with the Lee Loadmaster. If you had started a post about Lee priming problems, I would have understood.

But indexing? Indexing is one of the functions the Loadmaster performs best. It should be very good.

I have had to replace two cracked carriers due to priming problems. To replace the carrier, the carrier alignment must be adjusted. In the last page or so of the Lee’s (cruddy) instructions, there are instructions on carrier realignment. Follow the instructions exactly! Be sure the bevel on the indexer rod is correctly oriented!

You shouldn’t have any more problems.

If you are still having indexing problems, send me a PM and I will try to help.

Good luck,

Jerry