The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Yes or No?
Yes 6 22.22%
No 21 77.78%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
TITAN308

Would you be interested in this type of product?

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We appreciate everyone's honest opinion.

Last edited by TITAN308; May 8, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:59 PM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

Its hard to say. What kind of price range would you be looking at?
Old May 5, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
TITAN308

We have not gotten that far yet.

I will say this is constructed entirely of USA steel, its not like a plastic kit one might buy for their ruger 22.

We are just trying to gather some preliminary data (cost factor aside) if anyone out there would be interested in something like this; whether performance based, cosmetic based, or a combo of both. Or any other reason (tactical blunt instrument? lol jk)
Old May 7, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
TITAN308

Ok we got some good data from the interwebs. Thanks to all who took the time to answer honestly.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Ozzieman

I think you should add to your video several other guns. With the same set up and same shooter with 308, like an M14 and an HK 91 so that we can compare recoil. For me it doesn’t look like the recoil was reduced that much.
From the video of the shooter shooting offhand, it looks very heavy.
The look of it doesn’t do that much for me, but I’m an old fart that likes wood guns. I also noticed that a lot of comments on your web site were very positive on the looks.
For me Price would make a big go/no go decision.
It’s interesting and looks very well made, but as a single purpose gun, it might put a lot of people off. I personally own bench only AR’s so single purpose guns are not an issue for me.
Overall anything new that functions well and has a market is a good thing and I wish you well.
If my comments seem mostly negative, I don’t mean them to be, I’m an engineer and I tend to look at the negative aspects first.
Old May 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
TITAN308

We will get more footage. That video was just some basic function trials.

The entire system is modular, it can be removed from the AR in a minute or two. You are not sacrificing a rifle, merely adding an additional tool to the toolbox.

Old May 7, 2012, 09:01 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I don't see the benefit.

My guess is it cools slower b/c air is restricted from the hot barrel.

Sure the extra weight reduces recoil, but I could attach lead, even to an AR for a few dollars and get the same effect. Thinking get an an old tac lite get it, fill with lead and attach on a rail if I want it to look pretty.

Barrel torque, my guess is I could add that weight to make a ?super bull" profile and have less.

Don't get me wrong, there very well may be a market for it. My understanding is those Glock bayonets sell at an incredible rate.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:05 PM   #8
TITAN308

The barrel temps are no more than without the shroud. (thats what those cuts all over you see are for, we call them "vents")

I also doubt your ability to attach lead and "get the same result". There is a balance to things and also a sled does not allow for natural shooting. You are basically mounting both the front and rear to a completely static item.

I guess this is more or less, if you can do it, prove it - if you can't be bothered then we will raise the poo poo flag.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:29 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

You asked if I would buy it. I gave you my exact opinion on the item. If you want advertising pay for it.

I have seen many competition shotguns with added lead where the user was able to balance it and it would be much more important for a swinging shotgun. You mentioned a cooling system at some point in one of these threads. My guess is that is where you can win me over, possibly. A casing like this with an efficient cooling system for the weight mounted might make a good product I would be interested in.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Therealkoop

I think it would look 800x better if it was recessed all the way back to to triggerguard. That gap in from of the magwell looks so amazingly doofy.

I wouldnt buy one either way though so I guess it doesnt matter.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:39 PM   #11
TITAN308

Quote:
You asked if I would buy it. I gave you my exact opinion on the item.
You tried to pass your opinion of as fact. There is a difference. If you are going to pass it off as fact, then I would appreciate some evidence to back it. Which is basically impossible since you are not in possession of our prototype and have no way to make that determination. Its all well and good to voice an opinion on its usefulness to yourself, what crosses the line is voicing you opinion for not only you, but projecting an opinion for everyone else.

Quote:
If you want advertising pay for it.
To advertise I would need something to sell.

Quote:
I have seen many competition shotguns with added lead where the user was able to balance it and it would be much more important for a swinging shotgun. You mentioned a cooling system at some point in one of these threads. My guess is that is where you can win me over, possibly. A casing like this with an efficient cooling system for the weight mounted might make a good product I would be interested in.
The problem with a a cooling system is this may be the tipping point that puts a moderately costly item and pushes it over the line into a market of "high end" users. I know its a rare consideration in the times, but we would actually like to make this available to people who are not required to have a mound of excess cash lying around. I have a full time job that pays well, this is a side item, I'm not looking to quit my day job.

What we are mulling over at this point is a system easy enough where a "cooling package" can be sold separated so the user can buy bits and pieces and those will the mounds of excess cash can buy it out right.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:40 PM   #12
TITAN308

Quote:
I think it would look 800x better if it was recessed all the way back to to triggerguard. That gap in from of the magwell looks so amazingly doofy
We are considering making an available option where the entire thing is "monolithic", basically the entire upper/shroud is one solid single piece. We have some fun ideas for an upper receiver design to match the style.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:13 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
my guess
When "my guess" is included in a statement it is not being presented as fact.

Quote:
To advertise I would need something to sell.
Something to sell
Since it is a "prototype," I feel assuming there will be more is not inappropriate.
Look how far ahead Keltec advertises

IMO without a cooling system you have an primarily aesthetic accessory. I don't know what you will sell these at, but my guess is at least a few hundred dollars. All the other attributes can be accomplished in a much cheaper much more compact package.
I could definitely see this used in a scifi movie or something though. I am sure there is a market for it from ta group who wants that look. More than a few accessories and entire firearms have made it on that appeal.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; May 8, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:02 PM   #14
TITAN308

Quote:
When "my guess" is included in a statement it is not being presented as fact
You prefaced one single comment as "I guess" - but anyhow, noted.

Quote:
Since it is a "prototype," I feel assuming there will be more is not inappropriate.
Look how far ahead Keltec advertise
Wow really? We sell off one of three prototypes (thats out dated from our #1 unit) for some extra funding and you are pulling out the conspiracy to sell card? We are a two man crew and pennies have to be accounted for when budgeting. You are under some huge misconception if you think we resemble anything close to a business at this point.

I'm done here. After that last post I can see I am speaking with someone who is willing to say anything to try and make a supposed point.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:41 PM   #15
loose_holster_dan

tell you what, send it to me, and i'll field test it and give you my opinion.
i may have trouble sending it back tho....
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."