The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 8, 2012, 06:35 PM   #1
dsd

When to start competing?

All,

I have recently started shooting again (after a decade+ away). I never really competed but I may like to.

Right now, I am just getting into form. Getting my gear squared away and working on my skills.

Question is, when should I start to think about entering competition (Probably bullseye or the like). I am 36, I don't want to embarrass myself but don't mind finishing a competent dead last.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!
dsd
Old May 9, 2012, 06:36 AM   #2
lmccrock

Find out the minimum gear, acquire that, and show up. Do not wait. The perfect kit is not necessary to start.

They know you are new, be safe, be open to learn, you will be welcome.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:00 AM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
Question is, when should I start to think about entering competition
Right NOW. The next match.

Quote:
I don't want to embarrass myself but don't mind finishing a competent dead last.
You wont, pay attention to the safety briefing and you'll be fine. Call the guy putting on the match or see him just before the match starts and tell him you're new.

He and other "older" shooters will make sure you get started right and safe.
Don't buy a bunch of stuff until you find out what you need. Get guidance from the older shooters (not age but in experience).

People that shoot in matches want new shooters, that's the future of shooting sports. They are going to go out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable and safe experience. THEY WANT YOU TO COME BACK and they want you to bring your friends.

Everyone goes to their "FIRST" Match.

Every time I go to a different type match or a new (to me) club three things happen.

I learn a lot
I have fun
I meet great people

I can pretty much guarantee the above three things are going to happen.

Don't wait, go now. As long as you are safe, you wont embarrass yourself.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 9, 2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Adamantium

Don't let perception keep you away from competitions. If you know how to handle your gun safely and have the very minimum of needed equipment you are ready to show up and start learning.

I don't shoot bullseye but the events I do shoot there are plenty of beginners and everyone is very welcoming to them. Finishing dead last doesn't really matter as long as you are safe and have fun.
Old May 9, 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
4EVERM-14

+1 to kraigwy's post.
But alternatively if you are still apprehensive at least go to an event and watch. Ask questions and see what equipment other shooters have. Make it known that you are interested in trying the game. Other shooters will likely fall over each other to help.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old May 9, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
dsd

Thanks all for the advice and courage.

I found an NRA .22 Conventional Match that is pretty close to me. I sent the organizer a note and was invited to come down.

Since my .22's are still being serviced, I think I will head down and watch. See how others do things and what it's like.

Hopefully, everything will be ready (guns and me) to take part by the summer :-)

Again, thanks and I am very excited.

-dsd
Old May 9, 2012, 10:29 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Since my .22's are still being serviced, I think I will head down and watch. See how others do things and what it's like.
Take your centerfire gun(s) and go shoot the centerfire portion of the match. Odds are that someone will lend you a rimfire to finish the match, but even if they don't, you've at least started.
Quote:
Hopefully, everything will be ready (guns and me) to take part by the summer :-)
You're ready now. You have everything you need to get started even if you can't shoot the rimfire portion of the match. Go shoot. Have fun. Don't put it off any longer.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:39 PM   #8
zippy13

Do it now!
Remember, finishing DAL gives you tons of room for improvement. Improving in a competitive environment will help your scores soar.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Quote:
Since my .22's are still being serviced,
What is involved there?
I have never had a gun "serviced" in the same sense as taking my car to the shop. I shoot them, I clean them, I shoot some more. Repair if necessary, modify or upgrade as the urge strikes me, but "service?" No.

Get one back from where ever it is and GO SHOOTING.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:58 AM   #10
dsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
What is involved there?
I have never had a gun "serviced" in the same sense as taking my car to the shop. I shoot them, I clean them, I shoot some more. Repair if necessary, modify or upgrade as the urge strikes me, but "service?" No.

Get one back from where ever it is and GO SHOOTING.
I am waiting on some parts. Neither of my 22s are feeding consistently.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Throckmorton

NOW

the worst thing that gun shows do on tv is show the cream of the crop shooters,going faster than greased lightning.It really can intimidate shooters who would like to try comp but feel they'll never be that good.

In all likelyhood,you won't. so what? IT'S FUN to get out their with other shooters and send lead downrange !!

Nobody cares how fast or slow you shoot. If they did I"d be history by now,lol.

I"ve just discovered steel plate matches with my 10-22,and trying my hand at IPSC.; this along with cowboy action has upped my bullet purchases SIGNIFICANTLY .

the sooner u get out there with even minimal gear,the sooner the gun begins !
Old May 10, 2012, 11:22 AM   #12
RickB

Yeah, don't wait. I joined USPSA in 1994, then fiddled around with my gear, always thought I needed more practice, etc., and so didn't shoot a match until 1997. By the Summer of '98, I was shooting a match every weekend, and kicking myself that I'd wasted three years!
Old May 10, 2012, 11:39 AM   #13
zippy13

Quote:
...I was shooting a match every weekend, and kicking myself that I'd wasted three years!
That's a pretty common scenario. Too many newbies think they need fancier gear and/or more practice to begin comp shooting.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:28 PM   #14
landlord

how do you find matches? call sporting clubs?
Old May 10, 2012, 09:36 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Check with local ranges. Many of them have organizations that hold regular matches using their facilities.

Check the NRA's regional report for your area. Local matches are often reported there.

Post a question here with your area in the title asking about matches in that area.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:08 PM   #16
darkgael

now

Do it now. Matches are the best practices you can have.
The NRA monthly "Shooting Sports" magazine - available online - has a list of every registered match across the country in just about every shooting discipline.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:36 PM   #17
dsd

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I competed today. Scored dead last. In fact, I was almost half of the guy above me :-)

Learned a ton. Had fun. Look forward to correcting some hardware issues and practicing!
Old May 12, 2012, 06:08 PM   #18
Gerry

Congrats for competing DSD! Your next match will be easier, and it sounds like you've already learned from it what you need to do to place higher in your next. And if not, have more fun! This is what these sports are primarily for, having fun
Old May 12, 2012, 08:15 PM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

Congratulations on taking the leap!

Watch, listen, ask questions and practice. Dryfiring is excellent practice for bullseye--check your manuals to make sure your guns are approved for it.

Your scores will improve more rapidly than you think.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:00 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Ah! You too dsd?! I'm starting soon too. Got myself a Glock 34 for mine. I feel like a child in his first day back at school. I mean I go shooting every 2 weeks at least but never competed before. lol Can't wait! My uncles 34 is extremely tuned and he wants to tune mine as well..I think I want to try it factory first..Well, changing the sights soon. They're on the way. But other than that...Yeah..

What do you guys think? Should I let him tune mine?
Old May 20, 2012, 01:55 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

It's a pretty decent gun as it comes. Shoot it for awhile to get a feel for it and then you can decide what you want changed.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:54 AM   #22
dsd

So when I did the 900, it was only my second time shooting 25m one handed-- my score reflected that. I don't care about scores at this point. Baby steps. I'm working on groupings with a goal of no misses.

I'm hitting the range 3 times a week at about 150 rounds in 90 minutes. Getting to know my gun and ammo. Working on stance and breathing.

I am reading a ton. Wish there was a bullseye clinic locally :-)

Can someone explain dryfire practicing. What am I trying to accomplish with it. I have read a lot but still am unclear what I'm trying to get out of it.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2012, 09:50 AM   #23
iblong

Sight picture and trigger control,lots of info out there.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:41 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
It's a pretty decent gun as it comes. Shoot it for awhile to get a feel for it and then you can decide what you want changed.
That's what I'm thinking about doing..He actually called me today to tell me he's getting the parts and it would be $250 and he's ready to work on it. Told him I can't yet of course.

Really amped!
Old May 21, 2012, 11:00 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Can someone explain dryfire practicing. What am I trying to accomplish with it.
You're trying to get used to seeing a proper sight picture and, more importantly, not disturbing it while you pull the trigger.

Experiment with holding the pistol differently and with different finger positioning on the trigger to see what works best in terms of allowing you to squeeze through a complete trigger pull without moving the sights off target or disturbing the correct alignment between the sights. For one handed shooting, many people try to keep their thumb off the gun because the thumb and trigger finger are so used to working together it's hard to move one without the other.

Since bullseye is about precision and not really about rapid recoil recovery, dryfire practice can be extremely productive.