The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 5, 2012, 12:55 AM   #1
GaryDC89

H&K USP 9mm DA/SA V1....or something else

I'm looking to buy my first handgun and have looked around a lot online and I think I want the H&K USP 9mm DA/SA V1. I don't have a ton of knowledge about pistols but have fired several. I'm looking for something that is well built and will last. I want it for self deffence but mainly for fun.... I like to shoot. Please tell me your opinion of this gun or another gun that may be betteror if this is a good choice is the 9mm the one I should go with
Old May 5, 2012, 01:17 AM   #2
pilpens

I have a HK USP 9mm V1 (DA/SA/Decocker).
It is well built. Recoil is mild. Reliable. Easy lever mag release.
DA is heavy and SA has some creep. I have tried other HK USPs and the triggers felt the same. Trigger is not the best for target shooting.
It is big for conceal carry.

For mainly a target/range pistol, I would recommend a 1911 9mm with adjustable sights:
1. 5" 1911 STI Trojan
2. 5" 1911 Kimber Target Custom II
3. 5" 1911 STI Spartan
1911 for its good SA trigger. 1911 External safety (like the HK USP) feels natural. All steel to absorb recoil. Adjustable sights to allow Point of aim (POA) = Point of impact (POI).
Also EAA Witness Match 9mm looks good --held a few but have not shot one.

Just for refernece --I have a
1. 1911 Kimber target Custom II 9mm,
2. 1911 STI Trojan 9mm
3. Sig P6 (P225) 9mm
4. Walther P99 DA/SA 9mm
5. S&W revolvers .38 and .357.
6. .22LR (Buckmarks, Rugers MKxx, S&W41).

My CC is Walther P99 or Sig P6. Both are DA/SA without external safeties.
==============
have you considered ba .22LR for a first pistol? Cheap ammo allows more shooting and low recoil facilitates learning the basics like trigger control, etc.
If you decide to go .22LR, go with Browning Buckmark. Try to get a model with a trigger stop and maybe a sear spring screw like the Buckmark Bullseye.

Last edited by pilpens; May 5, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old May 5, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
ragwd

Welcome to the forum Gary! The usp is a fine choise . I own one in the 45 acp. Great pistol, reliable, well built. A bit pricey, as I hear here all the time. There are a lot of well built, reliable 9mm's on the market, too many for me to list. The best thing I could add is to go to a range and rent some, the way they feel in your hand will make a difference for you. Some pistols are great for target, some are great for home defense, some are great for conceal carry. Few cover all the bases so its important to match the pistol to the intended use. Good luck, Im sure you will get a ton of advise here, but one day on the range with rented pistols will be far more helpful.
Old May 5, 2012, 09:56 AM   #4
ScotchMan

Look at the P30. New and improved USP. Also the P2000. The USP is old model, unless you get a good deal on a used one or something, get the new one with the better grip and other features.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 5, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
RT

Hk P30 > Hk USP
Old May 5, 2012, 11:08 AM   #6
SHNOMIDO

OK ill be the one to do it...further cement my FN fanboy status...

The FN FNP-USG is extremely similar to a USP v1. You should check it out. Its also about half price, but you're not sacrificing anything. Its an excellent piece. %100 reliable, just as accurate, similar features.

I got mine because i was set on a USP, tried it, wasn't impressed with the ergo's and trigger, shot the FNP way better, and saved 500 bucks in the bargain.

The non-USG models are decocker only, the USG pretty much only signifies that it has a manual safety position. Some (most) people like the newer FNX better, but i like the FNP myself. So the FNX is worth trying too.

Give the FNP or FNX a try, if you like it better you save money in the process as well.

Edit-I was also very impressed by the P30. It would be a fine choice, you cant really go wrong with these companies. when i told the salesman the USP wasn't shooting so hot for me he handed me a P30 and the feel in my hand put a smile on my face ear to ear.

But then again so did the FNP...
Old May 5, 2012, 11:42 AM   #7
RC20

Gary,

Welcome to the group and yes HK is a great gun.

I think the grips on all of them are the best you can get. Simply awesome.

I have had a chance to shoot the P30 a lot. Don't know if its better than the USP but its good.

That said, they also are expensive.

I went with the Sig SP2022 due to price and good reports ($400 with night sights and only one magazine so add $40 for the second magazine and call it $480 if ordered on line with shipping and FFL fee)

Some parts are better than HK (the DA pull is better) some not quite as good (SA let off though the reset on the HK is more).

Accuracy is a wash. Reliability is a wash.

I keep getting lost on the HK setups, but I would go with the one without the safety. For a DA/SA gun I just do not think its needed.

A lot of other guns out there that people like other than the HK and are reliable. Try em all. If you can afford the HK then you aren't going to do better for sure.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Sheriff Gotcha

I agree with SHNOMIDO... I personally have no experience with any HK product so take this with a grain of salt.

If you are going with HK because they are tried and true just know that FN is a quality product as well and it feels great (at least in my hand ). Not to mention that they are only about $550-600 new and come with 3 magazines to boot.

Personally I'm looking for an FNX-9 for my first handgun purchase. Like you I am looking to buy my first gun and have handled a few and shot a couple as well. XD-9 was the other gun that made it into my top 2, however I decided to go with the FNX because of how it felt in my hand (best fit I have ever felt) and aesthetics.

Whichever way you go I have no doubt in my mind you will be one happy shooter. Good luck.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:42 PM   #9
chadio

Friend of mine just picked up a NIB FNP-9 with case and 4 mags for $399 - just got a chance to fire it a few days ago. Really liked it....

I like the HK USP, never fired one, consider myself a 1911 guy but currently warming up to my SIG Sauer P226.

2 schools of thought -

1) buy once cry once (get a high quality expensive pistol to start with) More 'pride of ownership' with this option...

2) buy an inexpensive pistol (FNP-9) and a case of 9mm ammo, shoot the bejeezus out of it. You'll probably be a better shooter in the long run
Old May 5, 2012, 03:31 PM   #10
PSP

I purchased this USP 9, used from Gander Mtn. a while ago and am very pleased with it. It is very soft shooting, accurate and very reliable. I've owned several HKs before buying this USP and am familiar with the controls and "feel" of these guns. I like them all regardless of model because they are very well made and easy to shoot well.

There are many brands and models that perform well. HKs are among the best, and would be an excellent place to start your collection. This slightly used USP was priced at only $400. A used USP is a good deal due to the robust nature of the gun and the longevity of their parts.

Old May 5, 2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Coltman 77

Quote:
H&K USP 9mm DA/SA V1....or something else
I'm looking to buy my first handgun and have looked around a lot online and I think I want the H&K USP 9mm DA/SA V1. I don't have a ton of knowledge about pistols but have fired several. I'm looking for something that is well built and will last. I want it for self deffence but mainly for fun.... I like to shoot. Please tell me your opinion of this gun or another gun that may be betteror if this is a good choice is the 9mm the one I should go with
The USP is a very fine handgun and has achieved the iconic status of classic pistols like the Colt 1911, Beretta 92FS, Walther P38, Browning Hi Power, Glock, et. al.

They are extremely accurate, built like tanks and reliable to a fault. Will devour any ammo you feed it.

Also, very easy to take apart and clean, which is a big plus for me.

My advice is to jump on it. Good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old May 5, 2012, 06:25 PM   #12
GaryDC89

Fnp, p30, usp9

Thanks for your replies. I'm still likeing the usp9 but I'm deff going to take a look at the fnp and also the p30. I have never been to a range before because I live way out in the sticks of southern Mississippi and can shoot wherever but I with try to find one so I can fire the three listed above. This may be a stupid question but do all ranged rent guns? Thanks again for the help and feel free to tell me more