The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1
checkmyswag

M&P Shield vs M&P 9C for carry gun

I understand most of the major differences.

Which would you prefer to carry and why?

I'm looking for reasons to get the compact and not the Shield. Higher capacity is nice, but are there other benefits in your opinion/experience?
Old May 4, 2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Water-Man

The Shield.

Lighter, thinner single stack. Easier to conceal.

The added capacity of the M&P9c doesn't matter to me.

W-M
Old May 5, 2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Shoot45's

"Which would you prefer to carry and why?"

I prefer the 9c because the measurements are too close - for me - to matter all that much.
Add in the increased rounds of the 9c and it's - for me - a no brainer.
I also think the 9c is very easy to conceal as it is.
It fits very comfortably in a CrossBread holster.
In a 9mm I'd take 12 rounds over 7 any day of the weak.
Old May 5, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
plateshooter

Shoot45s pretty much covered it all. I would only add the 17 round full size mag option that the the 9c has is really nice when loading it up for the night stand.
Old May 5, 2012, 07:54 AM   #5
CWKahrFan

To me, 7+1 capacity is enough. I'm not a LEO... just an ordinary guy in an ordinary city in a non-high-risk occupation so I don't feel the need to pack a double-stack every day.

The difference in width and weight doesn't seem like much, but added up over years of carry, it's a big enough difference to sway me to the single-stacks.

The likelihood that I'll ever have to actually fire my EDC in an SD scenario is statistically very small... And the likelihood that I'd ever need more than 3 shots fired is statistically miniscule. I don't fret over "only" having 8 shots at the ready. I go with comfort and easier concealment and pack single-stacks.

I'd go with the Shield.
Old May 5, 2012, 08:40 AM   #6
hollowpointt

Shield

cwkahrfan is in my view correct. I have the Shield and its been flawless through 500 rds. I feel the Shield being a little lighter and thinner will mean it gets carried more. I am very secure with 8 rds of good 9mm ammo.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Madcap_Magician

I have both. The M&P9c is marginally harder to carry and noticeably heavier due to the extra ammo, but it's not hard to conceal. They're about equally easy to conceal, equally easy to shoot, but the Shield is just about a third again more comfortable to carry.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Aristides

Pocket Carry...?

Is anybody actually carring the Shield in their pocket?

I had the 9c, and found it easy to carry IWB, but it definitely wasn't a pocket gun. I'd be interested in the Shield if was truly pocketable.

Your experiences in that regard...?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:10 PM   #9
checkmyswag

I don't think the shield would be much good for pocket carry.

How about that Shield safety vs a safety on the compact models.

I appreciate and understand how many don't like safeties or plan to use them...but for those who intend to use the safety, the shield has to be harder to sweep off under duress (yes even after training).
Old May 7, 2012, 10:21 PM   #10
ViennaGambit

Glock 26
Old May 7, 2012, 10:27 PM   #11
RC20

Understand you are new here, please read the following.

The OP asked about the difference between two specific models, if you do not have anything to add to that discussion, do not post like this.

And FYI that's not just me, its the courtesy etiquette of the forum.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:31 PM   #12
RC20

Quote:
I don't think the shield would be much good for pocket carry.

How about that Shield safety vs a safety on the compact models.

I appreciate and understand how many don't like safeties or plan to use them...but for those who intend to use the safety, the shield has to be harder to sweep off under duress (yes even after training).

I think he safeties are the same. I tried a Shield and did not care for it. Am looking to try a MP9C. It may fit and suit better which would be an advantage to a slightly larger gun.

If you are going to pocket carry its mandatory to have a safety on the striker.

Otherwise you need a holster, and that put the gun not matter what size into at least the next category size up (or so I think).

I agree that the 8 rounds is enough, that's two more than a revolver used to carry (some have 7 now which I find odd but).

Interesting dilemma that I have not resolved but those two are on the list.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:16 AM   #13
ShipWreck

I am pocket carrying mine everyday since last Thur. I am not using the safety either. I really like the gun a lot. I even sold off my Kahr PM9 on Sunday. The recoil is less on the Shied
Old May 8, 2012, 06:42 AM   #14
plouffedaddy

I have both and I prefer the Shield. With the extended mag, you're still carrying 9 rounds, and while more is better, I'm okay with 9. It carries a lot better and the trigger reset is light years better allowing me to shoot accurately more quickly.

Old May 8, 2012, 08:58 PM   #15
dondavis3

After looking at both guns last week - I bought the 9c.

It is a little bit larger, but I like the safety better and the additional ammo.

Neither are pocket guns IMHO.

Old May 8, 2012, 09:03 PM   #16
SamNavy

Anybody who knows where to get a Shield (9mm or .40) anywhere for under $500 in stock... please let me know.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:15 PM   #17
RC20

Quote:
After looking at both guns last week - I bought the 9c.

It is a little bit larger, but I like the safety better and the additional ammo.

Neither are pocket guns IMHO.
Cold you elaborate? If I was going to carry a striker that would be it.

Trying to sort it out.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:17 PM   #18
checkmyswag

Quote:
Anybody who knows where to get a Shield (9mm or .40) anywhere for under $500 in stock... please let me know.
Can get them on gunbroker for less than that. Unless you mean like walk into a store "in stock".

I just made a similar post but looking to pay way less than that. Still like the idea of the 12 shot compact with the nice thumb safety.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:34 PM   #19
ScotchMan

I don't have the guns in question, but I do have small double stacks (Glock 26, Ruger SR9c) and the Walther PPS which is identical in size to the Shield.

My thoughts are as follows. The single stack is more comfortable to carry, but the doublestack isn't UNcomfortable. I don't buy into all the "I'll only need 3 rounds" stuff, not because I think I'll need more, but if the gun is coming out, I've already broken the odds and will not mind the additional firepower. Those statistics also came from a period of time were active shooters and terrorism where much less prevalent than muggings and carjackings. These scenarios could very likely require double stacks with spare mags.

Anyway, I will take the double stack every time. I have a single stack for "iffy" days or when concealing is even more important than usual. I do pocket carry it, though I can pocket carry the double stacks as well. It does have a distinct edge in that mode of carry.

My vote is for the 9c. I would recommend other 9mm double stacks over the 9c, but that is another topic.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 9, 2012, 07:46 AM   #20
dondavis3

@ RC20

I bought the 9c because:

With the Shield

You lose the option of a safety lever or not.

Lose grip inserts.

You lose ambidextrous controls.

Shield is much thinner.

The Shield is taller than the 9c.

They are very close in length.

Since nether is a "pocket" gun - It's no harder for me to carry the 9c

Here is a excellent video review for both guns by a unbiased 3rd party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ16...re=uploademail

Both are nice guns ... The 9c just fits my needs better.

IMHO

Old May 9, 2012, 08:55 AM   #21
soapboxpreacher

I would take the advice of the guys who have both...meaning who have also shot both not just handled. We have a shield on order and I like the weight and size but I am very curious how it shoots...recoil wise, flip wise, trigger wise. I did notice the trigger is better (when dry firing at the shore...not a good idea but they encouraged us to see what it was link). The trigger felt better then the standard M&P so this could help but recoil and flip might make me hate it...too early to tell. I doubt it but the LC9 was ok for a few shots but never enjoyable to shoot or practice on for many rounds. I only shoot it one time with a number of rounds but I didnt like it the more I shot it. Let me know what you guys think. Having shot a G26 as someone mentioned, the Shield handle/grip is slightly longer meaning my pinky is not floating in air wanting to hold on. Grip might be thinner but longer is better and will offer more control than a fatter grip...that is why we bought on over a G26. Not to mention the G26 is heavier, bigger, wider, etc...not that I dont like it but it was noticeable in all areas.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:50 AM   #22
Madcap_Magician

I actually can't tell the difference in recoil between my Shield and my M&P9c. I carried the latter for three years... both shoot softly.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:32 AM   #23
MP9

The m&p9c is soo close in size to the g19... so I would rather the g19 and have 2 more rounds. there is not much difference.

I have the g19 and the shield, the shield disappear with my stickyholsters, is very slim... I am very happy with it...

all depend of what you really want.

I have a M&P9 FSS too, it is for idpa..
Old May 10, 2012, 11:47 AM   #24
RC20

Fair enough, but for other users, if you do not want to have a holser (pocket carry) then the M&P either Shield of 9c would be the better choice as it has a safety (or can be bought with one).

I have been carrying the PPK a bit to see how I like it.

Seems to work so something along those lines is a possibility though with S&W out of the DA/SA series that leaves choices not so good.

PPK type in 9mm and extend mag like the Shield would be ideal (I still like hammer fired so I favor that solution but not welded to it)
Old May 10, 2012, 02:47 PM   #25
DragonDog

I'll throw in a couple centavos since I've been looking at both of these..

I think the ammo capacity question is fairly moot, as others have said. But where I think the 9c has the edge is barrel length. I like that extra 0.4 in for velocity & proper expansion of defensive ammo. Doesn't sound like much, but remember part of your barrel length is taken up by the cartridge itself in a semi auto. So with the Shield you're really down to 2.0".

In my opinion the grip length plays more of a role in concealability, so there again the edge is with the 9c.