The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
vikz

STI Spartan IV 9mm

Hello folks been awhile but thought you guys want to hear about my STI Spartan, I was just kinda looking at one of the LGS and spotted this, I was actually been looking for the RIA commander size 9mm for awhile but its been next to impossible so when I saw this one the 1911nitis just got triggered so long story short here us my latest CCW piece..I traded my LC9 and added a little bit to afford it..

Old May 3, 2012, 08:26 PM   #2
zincwarrior

Excellent. Tell us how it shoots.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:07 AM   #3
gunluver

I have a Spartan V 9mm and am very happy with it. As a matter of fact, I literally just got done cleaning it and putting my bag together for my upcoming IDPA shoot this weekend. Mine has been 100% reliable and very accurate since I got it, and it's a blast to shoot!

You should be well served by your new Spartan.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
loose_holster_dan

i really liked mine V as well. very pretty. dead accurate. it's a bit slim in the grip for my big hands tho, so i'm actually selling mine. i guess i could just get bigger grips, but i'm trying to fund an AR-10

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487154
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 4, 2012, 08:08 AM   #5
WVsig

I wish it had a standard GI guide rod and a barrel with a bushing. When I first heard they were producing this I was excited but now not as much....

Tell us how it shoots because even with those features it is still an attractive package at an affordable price.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old May 4, 2012, 08:19 AM   #6
loose_holster_dan

now i own a lot of 1911's, but i'm pretty sure my V has a standard guide rod and bushing. is the IV different?
Old May 4, 2012, 10:33 AM   #7
WVsig

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...2D3-1323296259

Bull Barrel and Full Length Guide Rod

-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old May 4, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8
gunluver

The spartan III and IV have bull barrels. The V comes with a bushing and FLGR. I swapped mine out for a standard GI rod and plug.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
vikz

I haven't had the chance of field stripping it, i'll shoot it 1st then fieldstrip it. but it has a FLGR and crowned barrels..been thinking of bobing it just don't know where or who can do it around here..

Last edited by vikz; May 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:29 PM   #10
tekarra

Nice pistol vikz, how does it shoot?
Old May 4, 2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Constantine

NICE!!!! I love it! Congrats on the purchase, I would absolutely love to get one myself let us know how it shoots. I bet money it'll be one of your favorites.

I've shot one before
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 4, 2012, 06:04 PM   #12
vikz

Video range report..

Hello folks! I was able to run 100 rounds through her today and ofcourse as expected it was awesome!!I was mainly shooting for reliability and at the end accuracy, 1st impression is its very pleasant to shoot, easy to shoot, well balanced and feels good in my hands.
I did noticed it was shooting low but got it figure out what's the right sight picture after 2 mags or so. I had one misfire due to weak primer and one that the slide locked open after 2 shots which was weird but no big deal, I was using just regular ammo by BVAC 115 grain, its like a reloaded kind of ammo, its pretty inexpensive thats why i used it. Here are some videos I took with my Iphone so quality is not the best. Bottom line I LIKE IT!! I have to save up some money and maybe have it bobtailed..

Old May 4, 2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Constantine

Nice man! Very nice..Looks just fine to me. You seemed to be enjoying it as well. Awesome gun! Congrats again..I'd carry that. Best of both worlds. 1911 and 9mm which is cheaper to shoot.

De donde eres hermano?! Estoy aqui en Miami..Oyo un accento latino! Que de nuevo?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 5, 2012, 03:59 AM   #14
vikz

constantine no idea what you posted last, I'm from manila no spanish..
Old May 5, 2012, 09:23 AM   #15
Constantine

Oops..lol. I'm not of Hispanic decent but I do speak it.

Anyways really awesome gun man.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old May 6, 2012, 11:37 PM   #16
vikz

Hello folks I was able to shoot more rounds today, just 100 rounds and man this thing just eats every thing!, got some good groupings this time but nothing to brag about but the good thing is.. I was able to combine 2 of my favorite thing to do! I rode my motorcycle to the range ( I'm a new to motorcyling 2 months new) and here are some pictures of my STI and GSG 1911 22lr with my brand new Suzuki GZ250..It was a good day for me..

Old May 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #17
horseman308

Are you very mechanically inclined? Ed Brown sells a jib and bobtailed MSH so that you could bobtail the grip yourself if you want.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:11 AM   #18
loose_holster_dan

oops
Old May 15, 2012, 10:10 AM   #19
Martowski

I have a Spartan V 9mm that I enjoy. I'm going to make some mods to it including:

Trigger job to take the pull down to 3 lbs. (it's a range gun).
Install short smooth solid Cylider & Slide aluminum trigger.
Replace front sight with a smaller diameter green fiber optic sight.