The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2000, 10:16 PM   #1
benzh

I want a "do all" load for coyote, deer and hogs for my .308. I am considering either 165gr. bullet weight.

I find it difficult to figure out the differences between Nosler's Ballistic Tip, Partition and Sierra's GameKing bullet construction and which is best from actual field results. Any help?

I would not expect to take a shot longer than 300-350 yards at the extreme.

Thanks for your help....
Old December 3, 2000, 11:19 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. In my experience and from comments made by Sierra's folks, the 165gr Game King in the hollowpoint form is "harder" than the softpoint so should you choose Sierra, you might want to go with the "softer" bullet. The BallisticTip is designed to open at distance where velocities have dropped and some report lack of penetration or fragmentation when they're used at high velocity or close range. Probably, the "safest" of all three is the partition which expands rapidly until it reaches the partition, but many report problems getting extremely tight groups. I have had problems getting some bullet weights in the partition to group, but have almost always found a load that would do under an inch @ 100 yards.

Were it not for the "hogs" portion of your post, I'd likely go with the BallisticTip as I've killed several deer with them in .30-06 w/165 gr with no problems. Partitions will work on all three.

Best.
Old December 4, 2000, 08:57 AM   #3
DAVID NANCARROW

As a matter of fact, I just returned from a very successful hunt in south central Texas-took two whitetail bucks, one of which was a very nice 8 point and both very healthy, and a 150 pound pig, all shot with 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip from my 308 Winchester, handloaded with 44 grains of Reloder 15 and bullet set .020" off the lands. The deer were heart/lung shots at 200 yards, both of which did very well in breaking the on side shoulder and bullet went through both sides. Neither ran. The pig was 40 yards and was a head shot through and through. Have heard you do not want to drive ballistic tips really fast as they are a quick opener, but mine are doing approximately 2800 fps out of a 26 inch barrel and after using this load as my "do all", it has yet to fail me in 15 deer and 4 hogs-the lightest of which was 150 pounds.
Old December 4, 2000, 02:29 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I have not used the Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Partition in the .308 but have used both in my 7MM Rem. Mag. Both perform great. The Ballistic Tip has more explosive expansion at close ranges, however it still exits. On some shots there are several exit holes meaning that the bullet is in several pieces. The Partition just flat out shoots. I shot a 5 point whitetail that weighed about 180 pounds live weight with one. He was standing on a hillside at about 50 yards looking down at me when I shot. The bullet entered the chest in the front and exited under the base of the tail! He dropped right in his tracks. I was lucky that the angle took it high in the chest and abdominal cavities and the dressing was not messy . In the 30-06 that 165 Sierra Soft Point works OK too. I shot an 8 point (235 pounds live weight) a few years back, and the performance was fine. It was a side shot (30 yards) with the bullet entering just behind the left front shoulder and exiting in the same place on the opposite side. The bullet did shed its jacket and the jacket was caught in the hide in the exit wound. He ran about 25 to 30 yards before he "bled out". The 165 Game King is good. The Nosler Partition, to me is worth every cent of the extra cost!