The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 28, 2012, 08:36 AM   #1
PParcells

Norell's Moly Resin

does anyone have any experience with moly resin? i recently sent some parts to Norell's to get coated. im less than impressed with the quality of the work, and im waiting to hear back to see if they can help me with my concerns, but my real question is how good is this stuff?

i had my barrel and internal parts coated on my 1911, hoping to make everything easy to clean, and super slick. the coated parts i recieved, are more akin to something thats been hit with engine enamel. im concerned the parts may not have the lubricity i was hoping for. and how well will this stuff hold up? it seems to scratch pretty easily.

thanks in advance for the help.
Old April 30, 2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Jerry45

Since it’s been two day and you haven’t received a reply I’ll put in my $0.02. I have absolutely no experience with the treatment you speak of but I can grantee you this. Any coating that is on “friction/contact” surfaces, hammer spur, sear, rail groves, rails and etc. isn’t going to stay there for many cycles. Even hot Bluing, which penetrates the surface, doesn't last long at friction/contact points.

All the new super duper “coatings” may feel really good at first but I’ll bet they wear off quickly.

Now don’t take what I’ve just said to mean there aren’t some really good finishes for “protection” against the elements. I just don’t buy that any “coating” will actually reduce friction for very long without the surfaces being recoated on a regular basis. Could be wrong!

Last edited by Jerry45; May 1, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
PParcells

Thanks for the reply. Im still waiting to hear back from john at norell's. I did pick up some frog lube today though, in hopes of keeping things slick as glass.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It's true that nothing on the surface will last forever, but there are some lubes that bond to the surfaces for awhile. Sprinco's Machine Gunner's Lube (scroll to bottom of this page) is one I've found to work extremely well. It uses the ring shaped polyester molecules that bond to the surface of iron-containing alloys and an acid-inhibited sub-micron sized moly suspension that does the same. It takes it two to three days at room temperature to complete bonding. It keeps working after the wet lube is gone.

That company also has a product called Plate+ Silver that is a thinner and more concentrated version of that same lube that will work inside a barrel. You can also use it to pretreat other bare steel parts before you start using the Machine Gunner's Lube. Again, after about 48-72 hours of being wet with the stuff, it is bonded to the steel. I believe it'll withstand around a 1000 rounds in a rifle barrel before having to be re-coated. Probably more in a pistol. They just recommend reapplying with a swab. They show in rifles that it produces the same velocity decrease that moly-coating bullets does (reduced friction reduces start pressure and the peak pressure that follows it by a couple of percent, and in rifles you have to compensate with about 1% additional powder charge to keep your load velocities up, IME; but it's within normal powder measure variation for most pistol rounds and may be ignored with them).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 1, 2012, 11:39 PM   #5
PParcells

i just wanted to take the time to let everyone know that John at Norell's got back to me, and he's going to take care of me completely, and that im extremely happy with the customer service. i'll post again after i get a few magazine on all the parts, and how everything works out.