The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 1, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Vermonter

Glock 27 G4 review

Well, I have owned this thing now for several moths. I have carried it every time I have had the chance and when wardrobe doesn't allow it comes along as a truck gun. I see many reviews on guns here that a guy may have put a few hundred rounds through but not many of folks who have owned for a while.

There were some reliability concerns apparrantly with the 4th gen glocks. I can tell you that I am somewhere over 3k rounds at this point and I have zero hickups.

Accuracy is all there as far as the gun is concerned. I didn't tweak or mess with the night sites that came with it and frankly don't need to. If I do my job this thing does it's job. Trigger is perfect for carry if you ask me.

The big decision for me was which caliber in this size frame was I going to opt for. 9mm, .40, or .357 sig. Many glock folks suggested that the 9 would do everythig a defensive pistol needed to do and would be the easiest to shoot. While I see this as perfectly reasonable and sound advice I am glad I went with .40.

Around here the ammo choices are very standard and .357 sig is only in stock at the Glock Stocking Dealer and even he doesn't have a great selection. In the end I am happy with the power boost of the .40 over the 9 and I am more than comfertable shooting it.

I have 5 total mags for this gun all Glock manufactured. The three 9 rounders it came with and purchased another 9 rounder along with a 10 rounder with the finger extention. Out of those the 4th 9 rounder that did not come with the gun has become a range only mag because it holds one less round than it should no matter what I try. It also doesn't lock the slide open on last round. Again everything feeds, fires, and ejects however the gun doesn't slide lock with that one mag only.

I find that the finger extension mag is great for woods carry or truck gun duty however is not nescessary for everyday carry because it defeats the purpous of concealibility and does not provide enough of an accuracy advantage to make it worth the trade off.

In short if you want a CCW that will go bang every time look no further that the G27 Gen 4

Regards, Vermonter

Last edited by Vermonter; May 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 1, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2
lyodbraun

Sounds good I have a Gen3 27 and love it great little gun, dont carry it anymore LOL my 30SF has taken its place...
Old May 2, 2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Pops 1

Bought a Gen 4 G27 Monday and I love it.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Vermonter

Pops

Looking forward to a range report!
Old August 1, 2012, 08:20 AM   #5
swe75

Glock 27 or 30sf?

lyodbraun,

You have a glock 27 and said you replaced it with the 30sf. I am seriously looking at both the 27 and the 30sf as my next ccw of choice. Both feel great in my hands but from what I've read, the 30sf is much more shooter friendly and accurate, more so than the 27. The 27 on the other hand is way more practical as a ccw because of its weight and size. What's your take, owning and carrying both?
Old August 1, 2012, 09:22 AM   #6
plouffedaddy

Thanks for the report. I love my Gen3 and will probably snag a Gen4 one of these days as well.
Old August 1, 2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Nanuk

I have had my Gen 4 27 for a year and a half and love it. I primarily use the G23 mags with the grip enhancer. I also installed the Grip force adapter. I have large thick hands and this works best for me. I have a 9mm conversion and have a 357 Sig barrel ordered.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Vermonter

Quote:
You have a glock 27 and said you replaced it with the 30sf. I am seriously looking at both the 27 and the 30sf as my next ccw of choice. Both feel great in my hands but from what I've read, the 30sf is much more shooter friendly and accurate, more so than the 27. The 27 on the other hand is way more practical as a ccw because of its weight and size. What's your take, owning and carrying both?
I am not sure about the 30 sf being more accurate. I can tell you that the 27 in my hands is as accurate as I can be. Fore example I do a drill where at 7 yards I draw and fire everything in the gun into COM. When I time this drill I can get down to 6 seconds and still have every round in COM.

Also when shooting for groups it tends to do the ragged expanding hole thing.

That is 9/10 in the head with a draw stroke in under ten seconds. The 10th round bugs me here a little.
Old August 3, 2012, 01:52 PM   #9
TxFlyFish

thanks for the review! what do you think of the recoil?

I know there is quite a bit of accuracy claims surrounding the G30. Take it with a grain of salt There are too many factors involved. Instead ask yourself if this gun has the ergonomics that allow you to squeeze out its inherent mechanical accuracy. What is accurate for you may not be accurate for another person, but this doesn't prove that the gun is mechanically inaccurate.

Will you be happy with 3in groups at 25yds? nearly all decent pistols on the market can deliver this.
Old August 5, 2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Vermonter

Recoil isn't bad. Honestly I don't have much of a recoile sensitivity. All in all it's a great carry tool.