The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 30, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1
defjon

CZ 76b vs Beretta 92fs

The CZ is high polish stainless. Which would you go for?

I've owned many 92s and keep coming back for them. I like the light recoil, easy of operation and cleaning, control placement, and accuracy.

I've never shot a CZ. I handled a polymer version and I do like how the grip feels. Very thin, like a single stack instead of a double stack.

I like the looks of the CZ and it would be fun to try something new.

I DO have Beretta stuff on hand already. I still have 3 mags, so I would instantly have a good stock of mags. Each gun comes with 2.

There is a 150 dollar price difference, with the high polish CZ 75 b being the more expensive. Is it worth that much more?
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” -Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Trials
Old April 30, 2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Sharpsdressed Man

I've had both, and the stainless CZ did not thrill me as much as older CZ75 pre-B models did ( and do). Comparing the Beretta: as stated, I like the pre-B CZ, but also like the Beretta for the same reasons you do. The CZ might feel better in the hand, be as accurate as the 92, and the CZ's trigger MIGHT smooth out on it own after a few thousand rounds (most are a little rough and creepy). It is almost a draw when considering durability and reliability. The CZ stainless is a pretty gun. I wish they made a bright blued or high polish stainless Beretta 92FS.
Old April 30, 2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Gerry

Isn't the Beretta 92FS Inox highly polished?
Old April 30, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

The 75B in stainless comes in three levels of polish: matte, low-gloss, and high gloss. You may have to shop around or order through a delaer to find one you like. I prefer the matte finish, myself -- but don't own one. (I like the nickel finish, and have had several of those.) The high-gloss, to me, looks like the proverbial "pimp gun," but many like it.

The INOX Berettas I've seen are NOT high-gloss -- probably because the frame is aluminimum and the slide steel, and it would be hard to get them to match; keeping it modestly polished, they almost match.

The newer CZ-75B series guns seem to have had their triggers tweaked to make them safer for the corporate lawyer worried about corporate liability. If you have a trigger job done by the Custom Shop or someone like CAJUNGUNWORKS.COM you'll prefer them to most other guns. Untuned, you'll have to mess around and shoot many hundreds of rounds (400+) to get the trigger less junky. (A few guns seem to come through with good triggers, including some of the SA models, but most don't.)

I have had a number of CZs (15+), and the pre-Bs generally have the best triggers. Most of my "B" models were tweaked by a local gunsmith, because I'd rather pay for a trigger job up front than spend $hundreds shooting guns with bad triggers, trying to improve the trigger.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 30, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old April 30, 2012, 01:18 PM   #5
testuser

I'd go with the CZ-75B, but, then again, I'm a fan. I've owned four of their pistols, all with the polycoat, which seems OK, but I'd rather have stainless steel.

If you're looking for custom work, then CZ Customs in Mesa, AZ does an excellent job. They just did a trigger job, sights and single action conversion to mine last month...excellent, excellent work and less than a three week turnaround.
Old April 30, 2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Tom C.

As a matter of personal preference, I like the CZ-75 over the 92. It just fits me better. I also like the SIG 226. I would like to get a stainless CZ-75B, but I would get a matt finish rather than highly polished, but that is just me.
Old April 30, 2012, 01:42 PM   #7
loose_holster_dan

love my czech ladies!

all you really need to do to get a better trigger out of the b models is to drop in a slightly lighter hammer spring. all the gritty feel goes completely away. never had a problem with light primer strikes even with cheap ammo. the pre-omega models have a simple sear spring flip that you can do as well. instructions can be found on youtube. the czcustomshop does some nice work too.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 30, 2012, 02:00 PM   #8
IM_Lugger

I assume you mean 75B?

Anyways I have 75B stainless as well as SP-01 Tactical and a Beretta 92FS Inox (had a number of others as well). Both are great guns! Accurate and ergonomic. Beretta less picky about ammo of the two. I see CZ as a target gun and 92 as a combat gun.

Last edited by IM_Lugger; April 30, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old April 30, 2012, 03:32 PM   #9
ShipWreck

Always go for black... and, a Beretta

Old April 30, 2012, 05:59 PM   #10
vyse.04

Quote:
I like the looks of the CZ and it would be fun to try something new.
For that reason alone, I would say to go with a CZ-75. Since you've owned Berettas in the past and haven't held a CZ-75, you should probably check out your LGS to see if there is one that you can handle first.

I've shot both, and I am hard pressed to come up with a list of negatives for either (size withstanding, which is obvious given that they are hi cap 9mms). The slide on the CZ has less to grip, but I had zero issues with the CZ that I shot. It was a range rental, and the trigger seemed fine to a friend and I. Considering all of my guns are single stacks, loading 16 rounds did seem like it took forever... But that goes with the territory I guess.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:19 AM   #11
wwwprof

Prefer the feel of the Beretta and it's what I am most accurate with. Accuracy equals enjoyment (at least to me). Had an K&H P2000 that felt great but I was all over the place with it. I don't enjoy shooting something that I can't reliably hit a bullseye target with at 50 feet.
Beretta: 1994 92FS INOX, 92G Brigadier Elite II, VERTEC 92 INOX, 92FS Compact INOX, 8000F Cougar INOX, 84 Cheetah Two-Tone, 950BS INOX (2) , 950BS Matte, 87 Target; Heckler & Koch: P30; Sig Sauer: P229 Extreme, P938 Extreme; Dan Wesson: 15-2 Pistol Pack