The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 24, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1
stonewall50

.308 Target Ammo?

I am looking to get into rifle shooting mainly for fun. I don't hunt deer enough to really make it for that reason. I already have a rifle, but I had scope issues and I was never able to truly sight it in. I haven't found the scope I want, but right now I am looking for ammo (because there is a 2nd .308 that a friend has).

So I have a CZ550 American in .308. I am looking for some solid target ammo. What does everyone use here? I don't have access to reloads, and I really don't want to get into that right now. I just don't have the time. So can anyone recommend me some brands of .308 for target practice and sighting in that I can find and buy for fairly low price? I will find my own hunting rounds to dial the rifle in later, but for right now I just need some ammo that can get decent groupings at 200 yards.
Old April 24, 2012, 10:29 PM   #2
brmfan

Good stuff

http://georgia-arms.com/cannedheat30...ch500pk-1.aspx
Old April 25, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Mobuck

You're getting the cart before the horse. You need a functional rifle to test the ammo to determine which performs best in that particular rifle.
You could go with Federal American Eagle. It's fairly cheap and likely an average load with a FMJ bullet. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy FMJ type ammo. Regular 150 grain hunting ammo is more acceptable for informal shooting as it is less likely to ricochet.
Considering your post, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of shooting experience. I hope you can find someone who can lend some advice and help get you going the right way.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:17 AM   #4
stonewall50

Well I have the rifle like I said. I just haven't sighted it in. I just want to get the ammo now before it goes up. I just need some brand names and out of the box ammo. I'm an experienced shooter, just not with rifles. Getting. Perfect pattern in a shotgun ain't that hard
Old April 25, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
jmr40

It ain't cheap, but Federal Gold Match is the standard that all others are judged by in factory target ammo.

Low prices and accurate ammo do not go together. You can have cheap ammo, and poor to average accuracy, but to get real accuracy it makes no sense to buy an expensive rifle and feed it cheap ammo.

Cheap ammo has it's place. You can use it to get your scope on paper, plinking or in shooting situations where 2 MOA is good enough. If you really want accuracy without breaking the bank you will have to eventually start reloading.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
brmfan

Quote:
Federal Gold Match is the standard that all others are judged by in factory target ammo.
Maybe at one point when they were the only mass produced match ammo supplier. Excellent ammo, no doubt, but IMO not any better than Black Hills or Hornady (a close second).
Old April 25, 2012, 09:52 AM   #7
THE RAVEN

For what they are,the Parzi .308 175gr match ammo is pretty good stuff.....$15.00 a box/20 and fully reloadable brass....!

S&W MP-15/22,S&W MP-15 .223,Remington SPS .308,Remington 870 A-TAC 12 ga,Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter .17 Hornet
Old April 25, 2012, 10:19 AM   #8
jmr40

Quote:
Federal Gold Match is the standard that all others are judged by in factory target ammo.

Maybe at one point when they were the only mass produced match ammo supplier. Excellent ammo, no doubt, but IMO not any better than Black Hills or Hornady (a close second).
They may well be just as good, but it is the Federal Gold Match that is the proven performer and the one they are compared to.
Old April 25, 2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Marquezj16

Hornady Steel Match Ammo

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/861...sting-_-861113

I have not shot the .308 variety but have had good results from the .223, 9mm and .45 ACP ones.
Old April 25, 2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Slamfire

I will agree that Federal Gold Medal Match is the standard for factory match ammunition.

There was an article in the last couple of years, in Handloader or Rifle, the author used Federal Gold Medal Match as the control ammunition in his analysis of variables in 308.

The stuff is very good. Beat most of his reloads.

Black hills is good stuff, most of the Black Hills I have seen were on reloaded brass.
Old April 25, 2012, 11:01 AM   #11
brmfan

Slamfire: BH match ammo uses virgin brass made by Winchester IIRC.
Old April 25, 2012, 11:59 AM   #12
BigMikey76

Quote:
I am looking to get into rifle shooting mainly for fun.
Quote:
So can anyone recommend me some brands of .308 for target practice and sighting in that I can find and buy for fairly low price?
These two elements of your post tell me that you don't need, and probably don't want expensive match ammo. There are plenty of less expensive options available that will give you good enough results for getting a reliable zero and tracking your own progress as a marksman. I have been getting right around 1-1.25 MOA out of my 7mm08 using cheap PPU ammo. Of course that is only when I am shooting with support, but the rifle/ammo combo is capable, which is the point here.
My opinion - save money, find a cheap ammo that will be OK instead of an expensive ammo that will be exceptional. Unless you are shooting in matches, the exceptional stuff is just not necessary.

A gun should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
Old April 25, 2012, 12:59 PM   #13
brmfan

BigMikey: I disagree. The OP said he was already a capable shooter with pistols but even so, having the fundamentals down when transitioning to long guns will shorten the learning curve. Furthermore, being proficient at long range target shooting means being very familiar with how any one particular caliber/ load performs. If getting the basics of rifle marksmanship were the road block then a .22 at 100 yards is the best way to go.

Also, the OP would begin to amass a supply of match ammo that is now considerably more available and lower cost than it has been in a while. Regardless of the POTUS election outcome chances are match ammo supplies will once again dwindle and prices will skyrocket. If nothing else the OP would have a nice supply of fire firmed brass on hand if he were to start reliading and would save a lot of cabbage on the back end. Right now there are great deals out there, so I'd go the match route right now if I were in the same position.
Old April 25, 2012, 02:16 PM   #14
BigMikey76

Quote:
being proficient at long range target shooting means being very familiar with how any one particular caliber/ load performs.
I agree with that statement whole heartedly, but the OP said he is looking for something fairly inexpensive for zeroing his scope and some target practice at 200 yards. I don't think anyone here will disagree with me when I say that 200 yards with a .308 does not qualify as "long range."

I just don't think match grade ammo is worth the extra expense for the OP's stated needs. Sure, it may be cheaper now than it has been or probably will be, but that is not necessarily a good reason to get it. If the $13/box ammo will do the job, then there is no reason to buy the $25/box ammo, even if that price is lower than normal.

A gun should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
Old April 25, 2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Mobuck

As I said, he needs to have the rifle operational and test the ammo.
For all he(and we) know, the cheapest dog poop ammo available might shoot better than $3 a pop match grade in HIS rifle.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Rimfire5

Federal Premium Gold Match with the Sierra Match King (SMK) 168 grain bullets is the gold standard of target bullets for the .308 IMHO.
Unfortunately, they are expensive at about $26 a box of 20, but you can get them on sale occasionally.
In Northern VA, the county SWAT team snipers are issued cases of that ammo to practice with and then use as their duty rounds.

Black Hills makes 168 grain .308 SMK ammo as well and that shoots very well also and were slightly cheaper than the Federal Gold Match ammo when I bought them.
I also like the Nosler Custom Competition rounds in 168 grains. They too are expensive but they shoot really well in my Savage .308 Model 10FP Law Enforcement version.
The Hornady Match ammo for the .308 are also good shooters but your rifle might have a preference for any one of the 4 that I listed. The bullet shapes are slightly different and the seating depths for the Hornady and Nosler probably should be deeper than the standard factory fare, although I think the Nosler's are seated pretty close to optimum for my rifle. They actually shot the best of the factory match ammos in my Savage. The Federal was a close second.

I have also shot the Federal Gold 150 and 175 grain SMK ammo so you have choices to test what bullet weights your rifle might prefer.

Before I started hand loading for my Savage, I tried about 10 different types of ammo from 150 to 180 grains.

My Savage shot the 168 grain ammo best.
After I started reloading for it, I managed to get 150, 168 and 175 grain SMK loads to shoot pretty well but the 168s were the most accurate.
Then I tried Nosler Custom Competition bullets and I got all three weight bullets to shoot to almost the same accuracy, once I doped out the seating depth my rifle really liked with the Nosler bullets.

I am now starting the same experiment with Berger bullets in 155, 168 and 175 grain loads.

Have fun with you .308.
When you find the right ammo for your rifle, you'll really enjoy shooting it.
Old April 28, 2012, 01:06 PM   #17
ndking1126

Seems to me...

If you don't want expensive match ammo, you might try something like Remington Core-Lokt PSP or Federal Fusion. I use Core-Lokt PSP when I'm just going to the range. I get about 1-1.25 MOA at 100 yards. Some rifles like the Fusion better, though. You'll just have to try it and see how your rifle works with both.

When you decide on a hunting round, you might try something like Remington Core-Lokt PSP or Federal Fusion. I use Core-Lokt PSP when I'm hunting pretty much any game antelope or larger. I get about 5" groups at 300 yards. Some rifles like the Fusion better, though. You'll just have to try it and see how your rifle works with both.

My point being what you are probably looking for the same ammo and just haven't realize it yet. The Core-Lokts are the most accurate bullet in my rifle that is normally priced. The GMM shoot about .75" at 100 yards, but since its a hunting rifle, I just get the Core-Lokts and don't have to mess with point of impacts changing, etc.
Old April 29, 2012, 09:09 AM   #18
TX Hunter

STONEWALL

I Like Tula .308 for plinking, its steel cased, full metal jacket. Accurate and about 8 dollars a box at Academy Sports.
Old April 29, 2012, 09:37 AM   #19
THE RAVEN

For the price,Tula ammo isn't bad.....My .308 will shoot it decently at 100 yards,other than that forget it.....Just shoot it down with Windex every few shots,and run a boresnake through it..

S&W MP-15/22,S&W MP-15 .223,Remington SPS .308,Remington 870 A-TAC 12 ga,Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter .17 Hornet
Old April 29, 2012, 10:55 AM   #20
TX Hunter

Raven

From the original post that StoneWall made, I took it that he was not looking for expensive match ammo, but inexpensive ammo for recreational target shooting.
I figured the Tula would work fine for what he wants.
Old April 29, 2012, 10:59 AM   #21
tobnpr

X2 what JMR40 said...

Federal Gold Match is the standard, shoots very well from most any rifle.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:38 AM   #22
wnycollector

Quote:
For what they are,the Prvi .308 175gr match ammo is pretty good stuff
+1 this is my normal range ammo.