The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Last Escape Pod

Shooting 45 ACP from a 410 shotgun?

It is my understanding that a shotgun that can fire 410 gauge shells as well as 45 Long Colt.

Is there anyway to safely fire 45 ACP from 410 shotgun? I know that 45 ACP lacks the rim needed to prevent it from sliding down the barrel, but perhaps there could be a shotgun equivalent of a revolver moon clip.

I think it would be neat having a double barrel, break action shotgun that could fire 410, 45 LC, and 45 ACP.
Old April 24, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
SHR970

Bad Idea.
Old April 24, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
I think it would be neat having a double barrel, break action shotgun that could fire 410, 45 LC, and 45 ACP.
It only works if you have a bowling ball in your mouth at the time.

FYI: .451>.410
Old April 24, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
It is my understanding that a shotgun that can fire 410 gauge shells as well as 45 Long Colt.
Incorrect - it is the other way around

Quote:
Is there anyway to safely fire 45 ACP from 410 shotgun?
No

Quote:
Unless the bore is rifled, I believe you would own an illegal firearm without some form of federal tax stamp. If the bore is rifled, the 410 is worthless; then you would need to decide which rifling you want and one of the cartridges would not be that accurate either

In short, a bad idea as mentioned above
Old April 24, 2012, 11:03 PM   #5
OkieCruffler

I can't help but wonder how many folks drop a 45 colt into a .410 chamber (I have an old break action that will do it) every year.
Old April 25, 2012, 05:14 AM   #6
nogo

.45 in .410

NO.

.44 spl./magnum shells chamber in a .410. Pulling the trigger on either is also a really bad idea best left to one's brother-in-law or irritating neighbor.
Old April 25, 2012, 07:16 AM   #7
WV_gunner

It has be made to shoot .45 Colt in order to fire it safely. I'm not aware of any .45 ACP/.410 long guns. The only long gun I'm aware of safely firing .45 Colt/.410 is the Rossi Circuit Judge.
Old April 25, 2012, 12:37 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
The only long gun I'm aware of safely firing .45 Colt/.410 is the Rossi Circuit Judge.
Yes, but it has a .451 bore, not a .410. The "judge" concept is to lengthen the chamber of a .45 Colt revolver to accept a .410-bore shotshell. It will shoot the .45 Colts with an excessive bullet jump and the .410s sloppily -- it's safe, but neither situation is ideal.
Old April 25, 2012, 06:52 PM   #9
SHR970

There was the predecessor to the Judge; the Thunder 5 made by MIL inc. There is also the 410 / 45 barrel for the Contrender.

There is also a video on Youtube of some folks firing a variety of "non spec" ammo from a single shot full choke 410. They fired stuff like 444, 454 Casull, 30-30, etc. through an inexpensive Brazilian gun and the gun held together. Just because they got away with it doesn't mean that I will try. At least they had the sense to remotely fire it for their "Experiments".
Old April 25, 2012, 07:33 PM   #10
WV_gunner

The Circuit Judge works great and is surprisingly accurate. I enjoy mine. And they are almost .22lr quiet with .45 Colt.

And .410 isn't that much, your pattern will be decent I'm sure.
Old April 25, 2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Hansam

Quote:
The Circuit Judge works great and is surprisingly accurate. I enjoy mine. And they are almost .22lr quiet with .45 Colt.
I find that very hard to believe.
Old April 25, 2012, 08:24 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
And they are almost .22lr quiet with .45 Colt.
I also do not believe that - no way I would fire one without hearing protection
Old April 25, 2012, 09:41 PM   #13
OkieCruffler

I thought the barrel/cylinder gap worked as a kind of suppressor.
Old April 26, 2012, 06:54 AM   #14
WV_gunner

Before you call me a liar, have you ever fired one? I have, probably around 200 .45 Colt bullets have been through mine. I got it as a gift in 2010. When I first shot it, I was very surprised of how quiet it is. But with a long cylinder and an 18 1/2 inch barrel, a handgun catridge isn't all that loud. These guns are very nice, my only complaint is the stock isn't polyurethane coated. The action is smooth, and has been flawless. It is also surprisingly accurate. I can't tell you of the grouping, because I haven't been to serious with it. But at around 80 yards I can consistently hit a 6 inch spinner target with no rest and open sights. This gun also fits me so well for such a small gun. It also patterns 3 inch 000 at within about 5 inches at 15 yards. In my opinion, this is an excellent gun. I didn't expect such a high quality because alot of people claim the handgun version isn't good. Well, I'm saying the long gun version, the Circuit Judge, is a great gun. And I'm speaking from my own personal experience.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:09 AM   #15
dannyb

I'll second that

I have the Circuit Judge as well. The 45 LC shoots just fine, and I even manage to break flying clays with it when using .410. I was really skeevy about getting this gun because I've had poor luck with Taurus small frame revolvers, but this seems to work just fine.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Rampant_Colt

speaking of liabilities..

It's foolish nonsense like this that causes people to get injured, and then makes us all look bad. How many times are you going to risk losing an eye or bulging your barrel shooting .451-.454 diameter projectiles down your .410 diameter barrel? What if the bullet doesn't swage down and gets stuck in the barrel and you don't know? Guess what happens next?

Play stupid games; win stupid prizes.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:50 AM   #17
WV_gunner

They only way I know to have a .45 ACP/.410 long gun is to get a S&W Governor. Then get a custom 18 inch barrel and you could make a stock for it.
Old April 26, 2012, 01:04 PM   #18
zippy13

Quote:
Makes sense to me.
Old April 26, 2012, 01:31 PM   #19
BigJimP

Rampant Colt said....

" speaking of liabilities.. It's foolish nonsense like this that causes people to get injured, and then makes us all look bad. How many times are you going to risk losing an eye or bulging your barrel shooting .451-.454 diameter projectiles down your .410 diameter barrel? What if the bullet doesn't swage down and gets stuck in the barrel and you don't know? Guess what happens next?

Play stupid games; win stupid prizes."
--------------
and I agree !!
Old April 28, 2012, 09:36 AM   #20
semi_problomatic

Quote:
If you wrote a book of quotes...I'd buy it. Or at least steal them as my signature! Haha!
Old April 28, 2012, 10:41 AM   #21
Rampant_Colt

To quote Cody Lundin from Dual Survival:

"be a dumbash, experience dumbash consequences". [edited to be G-rated..]

That quote is applicable to this thread as well
Old April 28, 2012, 12:06 PM   #22
B.L.E.

Quote:
Unless the bore is rifled, I believe you would own an illegal firearm without some form of federal tax stamp. If the bore is rifled, the 410 is worthless; then you would need to decide which rifling you want and one of the cartridges would not be that accurate either
I think that only applies to short barrel guns such as pistols. As far as I know, smoothbore rifles specially built for .22 shotshells don't need any special tax stamps. I'm pretty sure that a long shotgun overbored enough to safely shoot .45 ammo would just be a .410 shotgun with a oversize bore.

But if you really want that kind of versitility in a single gun, they already make combination guns, one barrel a rifle and the other a shotgun.
Old April 29, 2012, 07:21 AM   #23
HKGuns

Quote:
Rampant Colt said....
" speaking of liabilities.. It's foolish nonsense like this that causes people to get injured, and then makes us all look bad. How many times are you going to risk losing an eye or bulging your barrel shooting .451-.454 diameter projectiles down your .410 diameter barrel? What if the bullet doesn't swage down and gets stuck in the barrel and you don't know? Guess what happens next?
A-men, and most of them don't have healthcare so we end up footing the bill for them to boot! So we get stupid prizes as well.
Old April 29, 2012, 02:05 PM   #24
rightside

Play stupid games; win stupid prizes."
--------------
There's prizes?!?
Nobody told me and I've won the Darwin Award twice!!....(pout) Someone shoulda' said sumpthin'
Old July 27, 2014, 05:03 AM   #25
Gunn Smithy

Quote:
These guns are very nice, my only complaint is the stock isn't polyurethane coated.
My thought exactly so I got on the phone and gave a call to BrazTech to see if I could order the synthetic stock found on the blued model of the very same gun. I was met with an overly loud and sure "Not only NO, but HECK NO". It seems that BrazTech had to come to and arrangement with the Federal Government for the Feds to be happy with calling the gun a Revolving Rifle. Apparently there are more states other than just California that do not like revolving shotguns (ie. from the street sweeper days and such). CA's law is worded just about like that "There shall be in no way a revolving shotgun allowed to be owned, possessed, borrowed, lent, rented, transferred, looked at, or talked about" I kid you not, it is really that silly of wording about those darn evil street sweepers.

So what BrazTech had to do to please the Feds and sell this gun in all of the states that have similar laws (Including California) was to promise at all costs that at no time would they make available to the public any part whatsoever for the Circuit Judge. This included absolutely everything (stocks too) with the exception of a choke wrench and/or the chokes themselves. I then asked "But what if I had warranty damage on my stock? Would I then be able to order a replacement?" They said if I had a broken stock, warranty or not, that I'd have to send in my gun to their repair facility for their techs to do the work or part swapping, BUT.... they also said that if I sent them a stainless Circuit Judge with a broken stock that they'd replace it with the same type of stock that the gun was sold with Ie. it would be replaced with a wooden stock. Likewise a blued Circuit Judge would be replaced with a synthetic stock only even if the owner wanted to try wood for a change. Bummer.

So, since they were going to be like that I thought of a better idea, like a pistol gripped stock. I ordered some Hogue grip replacements and found the only difference between the pistol grip and the stock was placement of the stock screw. I slipped on the Hogues and center punched where the new hole would be and drilled and tapped the hole (remember metric threads). That made a quick illegal gun since the overall length was way too short, but the barrel was fine. So I just made my own spreader choke out of a piece of 304 seamless, stainless tubing and permanently welded it onto the barrel. I then found that ATI makes stuff that can be modified to work on the circuit Judge and bingo I got a gun that I'd rather have in the first place. Take a look and YES it is very legal. More so in fact with several inches to spare both on the barrel and on the overall length.

http://s563.photobucket.com/user/5kw...ircuit%20Judge

Smithy.