The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Jerry45

17 Hornet v 17 Fireball

Since I have a .17 HMR my brother recently asked me what I thought about the .17 Hornet. I knew nothing so did little research and liked what I found. Now I hear about the .17 Fireball so I did a little research and it “sounds like” the Fireball is actually better than the Hornet. So I did a little more research. Everywhere I looked the Fireball ammo is backordered.

According to what I read the Fireball went commercial in 2007 and the Hornet has just recently gone commercial. So I’m puzzled. If the Fireball is, arguable, a better cartridge (less powder more speed etc.) why are the manufacturers now promoting the 17 Hornet if they already are producing an arguable, better round in the 17 Fireball? I’m also curious as to why the supply seems to be all backordered. I though the ammo shortage went bye bye some time ago.
Old April 22, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2
mrawesome22

There is virtually no demand for 17RemFireball therefore they don't make much of it.

Sent from my Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2
Old April 22, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Jerry45

Ok, I’ll buy that. So then why have the rifle makers decided to start chambering in .17 Hornet? I mean if there’s practically no demand for .17 Fireball why "start" produce rifles to shoot a somewhat less efficient cartridge?
Old April 22, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Because Hornady/Ruger will advertise the snot out of it and it will sell.

Sent from my Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2
Old April 22, 2012, 10:13 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

It is a niche caliber. Just like one of my faves .221 Rem Fireball. It will best the .22 Hornet in most all areas, as well as .22 K Hornet. Though ammo for all 3 can be found it is spendy when you can find it.

I reload for .221 Rem Fireball Brass cost me a bit though the brass has a great reload life. (I have 100 pieces with over 20 firings so far. Primer pockets are still tight, and they have as of yet needed trimming. I have had a few crack at the case mouth though.) The thing is I can also reform .223 brass, and bullets are commonly available. The .17 cal are not as easy to find, and usualy expensive when you do find them.
Old April 23, 2012, 08:26 AM   #6
old roper

Well since Hornady making ammo it may sell. Here an artlicle from 24hr

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...my_new_Ruger_7

I agree with m&p45acp10+1 it's not a caliber for everyone. I shot the 17machIV as a wildcat nice short yardage caliber for PD.
Old April 23, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

Father in law was big into the 17 Remington... I just couldn't get into that cartridge after I took over all his stuff... the 17 Remington guns just sat...

Lately I built a custom 17 Mach 2 ( 22 long rifle necked down to 17... commercial ammo available... barely ) I use it for shooting red pine squirrels & it's dropped more racoons out of trees this last year...

I have a 17 K Hornet Contender barrel, & while I load it, I don't like wasting bullets / powder & primers fire forming cases, after they were formed from 22 Hornet cases... I was happy to hear that Hornady was going to standardize the 17 Hornet, as I could just buy that ammo & fire form in my "improved" chamber...

I just bought a reamer for the 17 Fireball, my buddy & I will be building a couple Contender barrels in that chambering ( I'm looking forward to the much more durable brass in the fireball over the hornet case )... I'm hoping that I can take one of my FIL's old Remington 700's chambered in 17 Remington, & shorten the barrel / chamber & get it chambered in 17 Fireball ( I think that should be the most practical shooting cartridge of the 17 group )... though I do love my rim fire Mach 2... head shot a pidgon from 100 yards last time I shot that rifle
Old April 23, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man
get it chambered in 17 Fireball ( I think that should be the most practical shooting cartridge of the 17 group )...
That was my conclusion, so I just don’t understand the big to-do over the 17 Hornet. I would think the “renewed interest” would be better served by advertising the Fireball.
Old April 23, 2012, 03:46 PM   #9
PA-Joe

17 remington is just fine. 223 necked down to 17.
Old April 23, 2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

way over bore... inefficient... so much case capacity, that my father in law had a hard time ( 20 years ago ) finding a bullet that wouldn't disappear before it hit the target... he loved it though... I prefer something a bit more efficient though
Old April 23, 2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Joe
17 remington is just fine. 223 necked down to 17.

I'm with Magnum Wheel Man.

First I’ll say I haven’t shot either round. However, from everything I’ve read the Fireball takes less powder, moves at greater speed, shoots flatter and was just put in commercial production in 2009. So my question is still, why firearm manufactures would start producing rifles to shoot the same size bullet in a less efficient round only three years after a better round was brought to the commercial market. Because they can just doesn’t do it for me. All it seems to do is muddy the waters / split the potential market for both rounds. But then I’ve been wrong before.