The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 15, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1
TheNocturnus

Sights on Smith and Wesson Model 469

I recently traded for a S&W Model 469 pistol and the sights are in bad shape. They line up great but are very hard to see as they are black as night. I painted some white dots on the rear sight and painted the front sight white. It is still hard to get a good sight on things. Plus they look like crap.

Here's some pics:

I want to make them better but am not sure what to do.
I have been looking at these: http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml

Anybody have experience with this stuff? Is it any good? I can get the whole ghost kit off of eBay for $19.99 including shipping, I'm seriously thinking about doing that but I want to hear some opinions first. Thanks!
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old April 16, 2012, 02:19 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Brownells, Wayne Novak; Trijicon....

If you want to buy decent 3 dot or carry type night sights for an older model S&W 469 9x19mm, I'd check www.Brownells.com www.Novaksights.com www.Trijicon.com . The 469 is older but a few shops or sites may still sell night sights for it.
You may also want to check E-gunparts.com.
CF
Old April 16, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
carguychris

FWIW Wal-Mart, Target, and various other discount stores sell high-visibility gun sight marking paint, it's just located in the Cosmetics aisle and is labeled "Nail Polish" for some strange reason. I would suggest trying that first.

If the sights don't have dots on them, I personally prefer painting the front sight with a bright color such as orange and leaving the rear sights as-is. I find it's a lot easier to pick up the front sight in a hurry this way.

BTW if you finally decide to install aftermarket sights, I have a few words of advice...
  • The adjustable sight unit used on 2nd- and 3rd-gen S&W "Traditional Double Action" (TDA) pistols will not fit on a fixed-sight slide or vice versa; the dovetail on the slide of an adjustable sight pistol is much wider.
  • According to a brief search of parts numbers, it seems that 3rd-gen 69xx-series sights will NOT fit directly on your gun. (It may be possible to modify them, but I don't know for sure.)
  • It IS possible to fit the entire slide from a 3rd-gen 69xx-series gun onto a 2nd-gen x69-series gun.
  • Your gun does NOT have factory Novak sights. These were used on 3rd-gen pistols made after late 1989. The early 3rd-gen blade-style sights do NOT interchange with the Novaks because the dovetails are different. (These facts are not clear in some online catalogs.)
  • The rear sight on a TDA pistol retains the plungers and springs for the mag disconnect and firing pin safety! These parts WILL go flying and get lost if you are careless when you drift out the rear sight!
Old April 16, 2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Que

You are probably going to have to go with painting your sights without a significant investment in the gun. The front sight is part of the slide and not dovetailed in so changing that sight is going to involve cutting a dovetail.

The sight on the gun from the factory has the white line down the center of the front sight and a thin white outline around the notch of the rear sight. Still not optimal. With my 669 I have experimented with various flourescent paints (orange, green) and combinations and I have gone back to a white line down the center of the front sight and a thicker white border around the rear notch. For me white has shown up best under the most light conditions.

BTW, what a great gun the 469/669 is.
Old April 16, 2012, 11:23 AM   #5
TheNocturnus

Thanks for the replies so far. I am not going to bubba gunsmith my sights. I will try the nail polish approach i suppose. I want to go the bright green for the rear sights and a bright orange for the front. Maybe ill go to wally world and pick up some nail polish.

Although im not sure which will weird out the cashier more, me telling her the polish is for my gun or for me.
Old April 16, 2012, 01:43 PM   #6
TheNocturnus

Alright, i picked up some very bright green and orange nail poilish. As soon as i get it applied ill post pics. I gotta wonder though, who would actually use these colors on their nails? I did weird out the cashier a little, i told her that these will match my favorite spring dress... lol.
Old April 16, 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Pbearperry

Bright flourescent green nail polish works great for me Many of ny handguns and iron sighted rifles has it.It lasts a long time and is cheap.
Old April 16, 2012, 05:00 PM   #8
TheNocturnus

Ok I did it. I ended up just using green as the orange looked bad. I liked it so much that I did it to my Cougar as well.

And here is the Stoeger Cougar just for grins.

Makes it so much brighter and easier for my eyes to see.
Old April 16, 2012, 08:37 PM   #9
egor20

Looks good Nocturnus31. TBH I just use white nail polish I bought at CVS, .99 cent sale.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 16, 2012, 10:29 PM   #10
RUN2424

Picked up my 469 a week ago sunday. About 95 percent blue. Some one put a dab of orange on front site and it does help the site picture.Great little compact
Old April 16, 2012, 10:34 PM   #11
TheNocturnus

Quote:
Picked up my 469 a week ago sunday. About 95 percent blue. Some one put a dab of orange on front site and it does help the site picture.Great little compact
They are nice little guns. They have a great feel to them and are good shooters. Mine has some wear and you can tell it has been carried. I know that it was made in 1983 (thanks serial number gurus!) but I wonder if it was a LEO pistol. I may never know.
Old April 17, 2012, 09:41 PM   #12
jrothWA

For my 39's sights, ...

I filed open the rear sight wider. this ease the disappearing that troubled me.

I just painted the front serrations using Testors' flame yellow and or blaze orange paint, just enough to fill some of the serration.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:50 PM   #13
TheNocturnus

Nice! I won these grips on eBay for my 469. It started 10 days ago and the auction finally ended. I only paid $7.50.

Old April 19, 2012, 10:00 PM   #14
HeadHunter

They're nice guns. I shot the Florida State 2011 IDPA Championship with a 669. I opened up my rear sight with a file.

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight