The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Habuda

ruger sr22

just bought one friday, picking it up thursday. Anyone have any tips or reviews for one of these
Old April 16, 2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Marquezj16

Congrats on your new pistol and welcome to TFL. Here's a review I did not too long ago. Many more on TFL. Quick search will give you plenty of post/threads.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477844
Old April 16, 2012, 10:58 AM   #3
deadduck357

Great little rimfire - SR22P
Old April 17, 2012, 07:32 AM   #4
bitttorrrent

I just picked up mine too. I checked that the barrel was on tight - screw from the underside - but visually can't really determine if on tight enough.

Went to NRA convention so it is still unfired! Hopefully this weekend I will run some through.

It feels pretty tight right now, should I clean and add some lubricant before firing. I just cycled some round through the mags to see if everything running ok and was perfect so far.

Everyone who has handled it say they really like the feel.

I added the largest grip - very simple to change - just basically pull off.
And I replaced both the mags bottom plates with the extended ones included as I have large hands.

Fits perfect! - Now I just need to shoot the darn thing.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Marquezj16

Quote:
should I clean and add some lubricant before firing
I recommend this for any gun.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:16 AM   #6
hellomcfly

Quote:
Congrats on your new pistol and welcome to TFL. Here's a review I did not too long ago. Many more on TFL. Quick search will give you plenty of post/threads.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477844
I have had the same failure to feed problem on the second round, but it happens with Federal bulk for me. Always on the 2nd round it seems like.

Don't think I have had the same problem with shooting CCI.

Other than this I've enjoyed the gun quite a bit. I purchased it for my girlfriend, and she loves it.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Marquezj16

Quote:
I have had the same failure to feed problem on the second round, but it happens with Federal bulk for me. Always on the 2nd round it seems like.
This is just my theory. I think the shape of the bullet has something to do with the failure to feed. The ones that have functioned 100% in my pistol has been the 40 gr lead round nose. The Winchester and the Federal Bulk has 36 gr plated HP.

Also, try out the Blazer bulk pack. It's a cheaper alternative to the CCI SV.
Old April 17, 2012, 04:29 PM   #8
bitttorrrent

Quote:
Quote:
should I clean and add some lubricant before firing
I recommend this for any gun.
thanks - I do for all my new guns - it just looked like it was clean and lubed - but i will redo anyway. who knows what they do at the factory.
Old April 17, 2012, 04:59 PM   #9
mjbek11

with some of the bulk ammos you will notice a failure to grab the next cartridge and pull into the chamber. havent had any other problems with good ammo. seems like the cheap stuff sometimes doesnt have enough power to get the slide all the way back so it can grab the next.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Rogervzv

I fire Federal Bulk Blue Box 525 and have never had a feeding issue in 2000 rounds and two SR22Ps.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:23 PM   #11
varoadking

I like mine very much...one of the very early beta testers that has never had a problem...totally reliable and quite accurate.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:53 PM   #12
rcupka

Got mine yesterday, 200 rounds today without a hitch. Very accurate. I am satisfied. I waited 2 months for it to show up after ordering it. Worked out okay, I bought a 10/22 Takedown while I was waiting. Love it too!
Old April 19, 2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Habuda

picking mine up after work cant wait to shoot it should be alot of fun, thanks for the info
Old April 19, 2012, 11:43 PM   #14
bitttorrrent

Shot initial 150 rounds through and was great. No failures of any kind and i was just shooting some cheap federal box ammo.

Both guys on either side poked there heads over to see it and were asking how i liked it.

So, yes, i do like it. great function, fits even my big hand, double action if you want and pretty accurate and reliable.

so i swapped with next door guy who had his mkII and just like mine is a tack driver. My group was almost a single hole. The sr22 was not bad, little bit larger group but still pretty good.

Great little gun and I am glad I bought it.
Old April 20, 2012, 08:04 AM   #15
Marquezj16

Congrats bittorent. It is simply a very nice and easy pistol to shoot. I average almost a brick each time I go out to shoot.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Coach Z

Stay away from thunderbolt

This gun eats everything but I had some HORRIBLE leading in the barrel after just a few hundred of remington thunderbolt. Enjoy!