The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 14, 2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Rjeezie

Single stack .40?

In your opinion, what is the best single stack .40?
Old April 14, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Best for what?

Range work. Home defense. Concealed carry?

There are several guns that are single stack and available in .40... But the "best" will depend on a number of things, including how you plan to use it.
Old April 14, 2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Rjeezie

Probably concealed/hd... really just curious more than anything. Only have had experience with double stack .40s
Old April 14, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Don P

40S&W in a 1911 platform single stack
Old April 14, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
tlm225

I've been very satisfied with my Kahr K40.
Old April 14, 2012, 09:17 PM   #6
zoomie

I'd be looking at the new Shield. Looks like a winner.
Old April 14, 2012, 09:18 PM   #7
plouffedaddy

I've shot Kahr CM9 (own) and CM40s and I'd never own the 40s. They're just too much to control in that small of a package; I had to re-adjust my grip after every two shots...

But, in a 1911 or similar size single stack---have at it. Should not be an issue.
Old April 14, 2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Walther PPS.
Old April 14, 2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Shadi Khalil

I'd say the Kahr P or K and any S&W 3rd generation.

Any one remember the S&W 4040PD or shorty forty? Those were some nice single stacks but tough to find.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; April 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old April 14, 2012, 10:57 PM   #10
kinoons

Walther PPS, hands down.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:33 PM   #11
blackamos

sig p239

The p239 is great for an all around carry gun in a single stack .40 S&W. The weight is a bit on the heavy side (around 34oz I think) but a great shooter.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Blackops_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie
I'd be looking at the new Shield. Looks like a winner.
I agree. A lot of people seem to be giving it a hard time compared some thinner and lighter profiled CC guns. But here's the thing just because a certain handgun's specs are good, doesn't necessarily mean you will shoot it good, or that it will be comfortable to you. The M&P lineup have a great feel to them as well as a great grip angle. Just something to consider.
"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."
Old April 15, 2012, 01:47 AM   #13
jersey_emt

Quote:
A lot of people seem to be giving it a hard time compared some thinner and lighter profiled CC guns.
The new Smith & Wesson M&P Shield has exactly the same size and weight whether it is chambered for the 9mm or .40 S&W cartridge. Because of this, the 9mm version is a bit larger than its competitors, but the .40 S&W version is very competitive in size.

In fact, using a rating system on my firearms reference site WhichGun.com called CCW Factor -- which takes a handgun's size and firepower into consideration -- the M&P Shield just barely beats out every other single-stack 6-round .40 S&W pistol. It gets a 3.73, while the Kahr CW40 gets a 3.72 and the Walther PPS a 3.71.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old April 15, 2012, 02:17 AM   #14
Hairbag

S/A EMP 40 or Kahr K40 P40 CW40 Walther PPS
Old April 15, 2012, 06:39 AM   #15
msuforeman

I have both the Walther PPS and a EMP .40--The Walther is wayyyyy more accurate then the EMP and a much more fun to shoot. My EMP cost twice as much as the PPS and it still needs to go back to Springfield for some work. The slide release eats my left thumb everytime I shoot it. The trigger on the PPS is better. Neither gun has ever had any failures of any type. The EMP is about to go back to Springfield for a trigger job, sighted in correctly, front strap checkering (it should have came with) and the sharp ass slide release filed down some---oh yeah and a single side safety. About 50% of the time I carry the EMP the safety gets pushed down--I carry it in a Crossbreed super tuck. I would buy the Walther again---I would not buy the EMP again.

My 2 cents
Old April 15, 2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Walther PPS. It is accurate and reliable. As a bonus, it is actually a German made Walther.
Old April 15, 2012, 04:16 PM   #17
dec41971

Those who said Walther PPS are right. However, I had to sell mine. You see I bought both 9mm and .40 and while the 9mm is nice and can shoot it all day long, the .40 turned out to be rather nasty round to shoot in such a little pistol. So I sold it to the LGS at my range. I do have the PPQ in .40 though and love it, but its not single stack. YMMV.
Old April 15, 2012, 04:31 PM   #18
jimbob86

Sprinfield EMP in .40, since you said CCW.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old April 15, 2012, 05:06 PM   #19
fastbolt

Pretty subjective (as with most other answers involving firearms and opinions ). I can't claim to pretend to offer any answers that might be applicable to anyone other than myself.

My own opinions have certainly varied bit over the years. I'd imagine it might be the same for other folks, as well.

I have a 4040PD which I've found I like MUCH better than I did when I first bought it several years ago. What's weird is that I haven't been shooting it during that time, and only recently decided to pull it from the safe and do some shooting with it. I found I was shooting it just as well as I've been shooting my 3913 9mm. Running it through a qual course-of-fire ... cold, without any "warmup" after not having shot it for several years ... I felt like I was using my 3913. The practical accuracy, controllability & recoil management was virtually similar to the 3913 I've been shooting with +P & +P+ loads, under the same conditions. Weird. Something's changed since the last time I was using the 4040PD ... and I highly doubt it's the gun.

Anyway, I've never cared for the Kahr single stack .40's, although the larger all-steel K40 seemed pleasant enough. A bit heavy for its size, maybe. The MK40 was also rather heavy for its size and role, for my needs, but the felt recoil was sort of out of proportion for a smallish .40 that heavy. (The owner didn't disagree with me, either.)

The P239 is nice. Light, a bit chunky, decently accurate, decently controllable for the caliber and a handy enough example of a single stack .40 compact. Pricing is becoming an issue as it is with some of the other metal-framed guns that simply require more machine & production time (compared to plastic frames).

Tried a LC9 and was ... unimpressed. Accuracy was acceptable, granted. The trigger made the Kahr look really good by comparison. Okay, it didn't help that the one I tried had repeated light-strike problems with some different loads (including +P duty loads), and the owner said it turned out not to be much better after it had been repaired by the company (he initially thought so, until he had the time to shoot it more than a couple of mag loads after repair) ... at which point he got rid of it.

The Walther PPS is a fine little pistol (but the German penchant for over-engineering is evident , ). It's a bit complex from the perspective of looking at it from an armorer support viewpoint, perhaps (meaning it's not a "simple" pistol when it comes to detailed disassembly/reassembly, and a special assembly wrench is recommended for such armorer disassembly of the sear assembly, like removing the sear housing from the trigger housing). A goodly number of parts involved in that one assembly (17, I think).

The idea of the serial numbered sear assembly (steel frame, contained within the plastic grip frame) containing the frame rails is a nice feature, versus molded frame rail fixtures ... but making the ejector part of the machined frame is, well, interesting. I'm thinking they probably don't anticipate much in the way of ejector breakage, so making it part of the serial numbered sear housing assembly (frame) probably seemed to make sense.

I was idly considering a PPS sometime, having a strong appreciation for the newer Walther pistols, but thought I'd wait a little while longer and see what S&W was working on in the M&P model line. They pretty much had to have something in the works to fill the holes left by the 3913 & CS9/40's, right? Looks like that wait might have paid off.

So ... I'm cautiously optimistic about the new M&P Shield ... but the one I plan to order is going to be chambered in 9mm.

I'd rather keep my G27, M&P 40c, 4040PD & 4013TSW for their wider grip girth for the harder recoiling .40 S&W ... for now. Ask me again in a few years and I may well have changed my mind and opinion.

Try some of the available slim .40's out at a range, if possible, using a variety of defensive ammunition that you might consider actually using in such a little .40, and see for yourself what seems appropriate and satisfactory for your perceived needs ... for now, at any rate.

Last edited by fastbolt; April 16, 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old April 15, 2012, 07:43 PM   #20
Rjeezie

Lots of good opinions and information. A few of you said what I was thinking... a smaller/single stack .40 would have some pretty bad recoil......

Still doing some research on it all.
Old April 15, 2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Dashunde

Yea, the G27 is a lot of gun, and the lightest I'd go in a 40.
For me, 9mm in anything smaller.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:54 PM   #22
Rjeezie

I figured so
Old April 17, 2012, 09:52 AM   #23
bdavis385

I recently picked up a Colt (Stainless) in .40 S&W. Shoots very well. Currently resides with Richard Heinie for a full treatment of his skills.