The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 2, 2000, 05:14 AM   #1
AgtTanner

which ammo would you buy and why? Is the foreign ammo cheap? how about that 9mm wolf thats not a bad price but how is the ammo? Which one should I pick? Thanks for your time

9MM WOLF 115gr. FMJ ***************** MORE INFO
LEAD CORE COPPER JACKET
MADE IN RUSSIA
100% NON-CORROSIVE price 99.50 1000
FREE SHIPPING

9MM GREEK 115gr. FMJ
FULL METAL JACKET
BOXER PRIMED (RELOADABLE) price $119.00 1000
BRASS CASE

9mm FEDERAL 115gr. FMJ
AMERICAN EAGLE price 144.00 1000
BOXER PRIMED / NON CORROSIVE
FREE SHIPPING

9MM SELLIER & BELLOT 115GR. FMJ (sealed case 1000 rounds.) (1999)
BOXER PRIMED / NON CORROSIVE price $134.00 1000
FREE SHIPPING

9mm PMC 115gr. FMJ
NON CORROSIVE
BOXER PRIMED
FULLY RELOADABLE price $129.00
FREE SHIPPING
Old December 2, 2000, 06:50 AM   #2
Walt Sherrill

For plinking at the range with 115 gr. fmj, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Sellier & Bellot. (Natchez Shooter's Supply [http://www.natchezss.com] will generally beat the price you cited.) I shoot a lot of IDPA, and use this stuff for matches.

I also shoot Magtech, IMI, PMP, and Denel with similar accuracy, reliability and cost. (I think the IMI ammo may be the BEST of the bunch, but it is generally a little higher.)

I found accuracy of the PMC to be wanting, and CCI Blazer, in 9mm, seems to have a lot of problems. (Its the range ammo at my local range, and there are an unusual amount of duds, compared to other brands.)

I've shot some "American Ammo," recently, and the first case was great, but the second (1/2 9mm and 1/2 .45) had some problem with out-of-spec 9mm and a bunch of poorly crimped .45. I'm not sure I'll try them again. (I did have good luck with the first case, though, so may be bad experience was a fluke.)
Old December 2, 2000, 08:26 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

Check at http://www.cole-distributing.com for brass-cased ammo.

You get what you pay for; a gun is just an interesting paperweight without ammo; good ammo instills confidence.
Old December 2, 2000, 09:09 AM   #4
denfoote

I shoot either S&B, or Wolf. For me the issue is usually price. I just use it for range work, and plinking. For serious self defence training I use 124gr Golden Saber.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old December 2, 2000, 09:54 AM   #5
Ben

I've shot Wolf a few times and have had no probelms with it. I kinda like S&B more just because it uses brass cases. PMC is a good deal, and I just found some stuff locally called Ultramax ammo. Very glad I tried it at $5.99 per box Be sure to look at Winchester White Box.

Ben
Old December 2, 2000, 10:42 AM   #6
DarkStar

I've had great luck with the Federal American Eagle 115gr FMJ, AE9DP. Clean shooting and I've gotten some decent reloads from the Federal brass. Price has been $6.15/box 50 or $123.00 a case. Atleast that was the price 10 days ago when I ordered 2 cases.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

Darryl
Old December 2, 2000, 06:28 PM   #7
Russell92

i personally love American Eagle ammo. its extreemly reliable, accurate and clean shooting. i've shot thousands of round of it in 9mm, .40 and .45. never had one misfire.
Old December 2, 2000, 06:39 PM   #8
JimFox

Wolf Ammo

Haven't had any experience with their 9mm stuff, but have run a case of their 45 ball through 5 different guns. Have (with all guns) experienced some difficulties I attribute to the steel case and/or it's finish. Every once in a while one won't seat fully without a little tap to the rear of the slide. Sometimes a spent case won't extract fully from the chamber (one gun only with this problem) and they don't seem to feed as "smoothly" as brass cases.

Still, they go bang and the "bang" seems consistant. If you consider clearing malfunctions as a necessary part of your training, I'd highly recommend them.

I certainly wouldn't recommend them for matches, nor for serious social work.
Old December 2, 2000, 08:58 PM   #9
shiroikuma

Czech S&B ammo it the tops in the plinking arena.. It' cheap.. and it it very accurate at least in my Czech CZ-75. Brass cases are so much more asthetic anyway and only a little more than the steel cased wolf stuff.
Old December 2, 2000, 11:24 PM   #10
No4Mk1*

here is a good deal...

http://www.gfccarmex.com/

9*19 115 Grain FMJ Brass cased, boxer primed non corrosive 1000 rds $110 delivered.
$113 if you charge it.
The ammo is South African Denel
Old December 3, 2000, 01:06 AM   #11
PreserveFreedom

I bought a case of Wolf in .223Rem not too long ago. I have had no problems with it. Unless you have a reason for wanting to save brass, I would go with that.