The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 11, 2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Sheriff Gotcha

My First Range Report (CZ-85B)

Okay, so where to start so much to say. First let me say that the CZ was a pure joy to shoot and I could not be happier with my first handgun purchase and first visit to the range. I look forward to many many more.

I'll start with the .22LR Kadet conversion kit. I am not sure if I had a problem with it or not. I noticed that the slide would not lock back which kind of bothered me, but I'm not sure if that is how it's meant to be or not.

My groups got pretty sporadic when I took it to more than 5 yards, the picture on the top right was off handed at 5 yards. I think my main issue was not necessarily the trigger pull, but more so not taking my time. I never shot a .22 before so when I pulled the trigger for the first time I hit the bullseye (I was quite impressed with myself for my first shot) and when I felt the recoil and there was a very low boom I think I started to shoot way to quickly. It was so much fun shooting the .22 though I am very happy with that purchase.

Now on to the 9mm portion... the recoil wasn't as had as I remembered, but I'd like to learn how to control it a little better. The slide locked back with the 9mm slide on so I am a bit concerned that the Kadet kit may be faulty.

After my last visit to the range where I rented a M&P9 I realized I didn't shoot that all to well at all. So when I finally put the 9mm barrel on the CZ I was worried I would follow suit from the previous range trip. Needless to say I was very impressed with the first two mags I put into the target at 5 yards. I didn't do too bad at 7 yards either, but at 10 yards I think I was way over confident and started shooting to fast and not concentrating on the trigger pull. Also, I could start to feel the fatigue setting in which made my arm a bit wobbly when I was shooting further away.

No failures of any sort which was my main concern going into the day. I did have a somewhat of a failure to feed with the .22, but it was fixed with a rack of the slide. Had a blast and can't wait to go back. I can only imagine what my lady will say when I tell her I am raring to get back to the range. (She knows I'm obsessed ) For reference I was shooting Federal ammo from Wal-Mart, both the .22LR 550 bulk pack and a couple of 50 round 9mm boxes.

All in all I don't think it was too bad for my fourth time shooting and first time shooting with this gun. The trigger is super smooth in SA, didn't try the DA trigger pull. This is the first time I actually paid attention to my trigger pull, so I don't know how it compares to the other firearms I've shot in the past, but it feels damn nice.

Can't think of anything else to add so I guess I'll end it here. Overall, a great experience and purchase and I thank the members here at TFL for suggesting this gorgeous weapon.
Old August 11, 2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
I'll start with the .22LR Kadet conversion kit. I am not sure if I had a problem with it or not. I noticed that the slide would not lock back which kind of bothered me, but I'm not sure if that is how it's meant to be or not.
I have the compact model and the Kadet does not lock open on that either. I think it has to do with the slide release pin, and you can get a replacement for it from CZ (do a search for it here and you find some threads about it). However, I never felt the need to change anything on the pistol since I never had a failure with the 9mm, and that is the important half of the system.
Old August 11, 2012, 03:32 PM   #3
DragonDog

Good report. I would like to get a Kadet kit for my 75b. Vary your practice sometimes by starting at the longer distance and walking it in, you will gain confidence.
Old August 11, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
armoredman

First - did you use the slide stop that came with the Kadet Kit? If that didn't hold the slide open, you might need to do what I did with my P-01 - use a PCR slide stop. That's the one that works on the guns the regular Kadet Kit slide stop doesn't work well on. Is it a Kadet Kit or Kadet Kit 2? Says on the slide.
Call 1-800-955-4486 Monday morning, push 2 for parts and ask for Adam.

Very nice shooting sir, welcome to the addiction!
Old August 11, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Sheriff Gotcha

Thanks for the tip Dragon. Next time I go I will look into doing that and hopefully shoot better.

Does anyone know a place to get a inexpensive spare mag and what are good HD 9mm rounds? I saw some Hornady rounds in an magazine that had like red tips, I don't know what they were called; critical defense I think.

I'm using the slide stop that came with the 85B because the one that came with the Kadet 2 kit didn't fit. I called customer service and they said to just use the original slide stop. Maybe that's why it doesnt lock back. It's a Kadet 2 by the way.

Last edited by Sheriff Gotcha; August 11, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old August 11, 2012, 09:04 PM   #6
armoredman

Yep, that's probably why it isn't locking back, wrong slidestop. Ask Adam on Monday.
Spare mags from MecGar are the best aftermarket, avoid the ProMags like the plague. I use factory CZ mags as often as I can.
Use whatever top line 9mm ammo you like - Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Critical Duty, etc., they're all pretty darn good. I'm carrying Golden Sabers in my CZ SP-01 Phantom. A lot of people think the world of Critical Duty and Critical Defense. The Duty penetrates than the Defense, being more for LE use, according to theory.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Sparks1957

I like Mecgar mags in my CZs, they work great. I will also recommend Golden Sabers as a SD round, they are what I carry.
Old August 12, 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
DragonDog

I stock my CZ75b with Winchester PDX, they have gotten very good test results.
Old August 12, 2012, 02:16 PM   #9
wustenfuchs

slide

When I first took my sig p226 to the range, the slide failed to lock to the rear with the first 3 full mags shot. After that it has worked flawlessly.
Maybe your 22 kit needs to be broken in.
How many 22 rnds have you put through already?
Old August 12, 2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Although you've been told otherwise, you can't use the other (different) slide stops mentioned above with an 85B or an 85 Combat.

Swapping slide stops works with other models, but not the 85B (or 85 Combat.)

The slide stop is different for those two models, and doesn't interchange with any other CZ. (the 85 slide stop has a different end that hooks into a lever on the other side of the frame.)

Note: if you try one of the other slide stops, it just won't fit. And if you do what I did, years ago, mistakenly put the 85 slide stop in another CZ (which I did when trying out different slides), the 85 Slide stop will break -- because it's not properly supported, and the barrel lug will hit it at an angle.

On my 85 Combat, one mag locks back, one doesn't. It may be a magazine issue. Maybe.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 12, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 03:31 PM   #11
chris in va

Interesting. My Kadet kit didn't come with a slide stop lever. I just use the one on my 75bd and the slide locks back just fine. It's the most reliable 'firearm' I have...no misfeeds or jams.
Old August 12, 2012, 06:31 PM   #12
armoredman

Very good info - I've never had an 85 so I didn't know that. Guess you're stuck with what you've got.
Old August 12, 2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Walt Sherrill

If the slide not locking back is an issue for you, you might try contacting CZ Customer Service and see if they have any suggestions. (Who knows--you might get some mag parts or a mag out of it..)
Old August 12, 2012, 08:45 PM   #14
marine6680

For a new shooter, I would say you are doing pretty good. More trigger time will will improve your groups, so don't worry.

Trust me, I have seen much worse shooting.

If you have more feeding issues with the Federal bulk pack 22LR, try switching to round nose lead. I switched to CCI Blazer bulk pack that is RNL. I found that the bulk pack hollowpoints tend to be a bit softer lead, and it can deform and not feed as well. The RNL tends to be a bit harder lead. I have never had problems with the quality hollowpoints like CCI Mini-mags, they just cost a lot more.

As far as hollowpoints... there are many good options.

There are bonded and non-bonded versions. Bonded prevents the jacket from separating from the inner lead, and it also holds together better when firing through barriers. A concern for police, who may need to shoot into a car. Non-bonded works fine for most of us so long as its a well designed round.

As far as 9mm, I feel 124gr +P is the best choice. +P is pretty much agreed upon by everyone for defense use.

Others like heavier 147gr rounds, and others may like the 115gr stuff.

I and others feel that the 124gr +P gives the best combination of penetration and felt recoil. Heavier rounds tend to recoil more, and +P already adds recoil as I am sure you know.

Others have their own reasons to prefer what they do... Its up to you to make up your mind as to what you think is best.

something to keep in mind... generic white box hollowpoints are likely to not be quality modern designs. Do not get them for defense use.

By generic white box, I mean a basic white box with basic info printed in black... Federal and Winchester both do this I know... Not to be confused with "Winchester White Box" Which is printed in Black and red ink and has "USA" surrounded by stars on the box. That is target ammo. (I think they have a hollowpoint version, but it is not good defense ammo either)

There are exceptions to that rule...

Winchester and Federal (maybe others) sometimes have police contract overruns that they sell to the public in generic white boxes... Usually for several dollars less than the stuff in normal boxes, or a 50 round box instead of a 20 round box for similar or slightly more per box.

This hollowpoint ammo will be labeled with the type of hollowpoint loaded. Federal's newest HST or Winchester's PD1X Bonded. Winchester may not always mark the bullet type though other than "JHP" or "Bonded JHP" A reputable dealer selling the stuff will tell you if it is over run ammo. If in doubt, you can compare the bullets to the normal boxed stuff. (just remember the police over run will be standard brass cased, the normal version will usually be nickle plated cases.

As far as some good choices.

Speer Gold Dot: It is a good proven round that has been around a long time and still performs as good or better than new designs from other companies. It tends to be a reliable feeding round in many different guns. (I would bet that the new designs are an effort to beat Gold Dots )

Remington Golden Sabers: I have never used them, but I hear good things.

Winchester PD1X: They have bonded and non-bonded versions. They are very good performers, way up on the list. The bonded version in 180gr is my defense load in my 40. (They are similar if not the same as the Winchester Ranger line used for police contracts... as far as my research has found any way)

Federal HST: Another great performer. The 124gr +P is my defensive load for 9mm (I got real lucky, and the local Walmart was selling 50 round boxes for $15... A pricing mistake? Maybe, but I bought a few boxes while I could)

Federal's older Hydra-shok was an old standby, but its a much older design that is eclipsed in performance by the newer designs I listed above... but its easy to find, and several of the "It aint' broke don't fix it" types, or those who just don't know, will still recommend it. (I doubt any on the forums will) Federal also sells "Hi-shok" which is actually an even older design than Hydra-shok. I believe they are just trying to dump stock of older components, I could be wrong.

There are other really good choices out there, but those tend to be some of the easiest to find and are reasonable in price. Others may be more difficult to find or cost a lot more.

Whatever you choose, you need to put several rounds of it through your gun for reliability testing. The more the better, some say 200-300 rounds minimum. but budgets are a limiting factor for many. I would say at least 50 rounds needs to go through the gun of your chosen hollowpoints without a failure. Between that and a couple hundred rounds of malfunction free FMJ, and you should be good to go. Not everyone is made of money and can put all the hollowpoints through a gun some say you need to do.

Here is a good list of acceptable defensive rounds. Its updated regularly, and many trust the source. The list has several calibers listed as well, should you ever get a second gun in a different caliber. The list is not in any particular order, higher on the list does not mean better performance, its just a list... If its on the list, then its good to go.

Last edited by marine6680; August 12, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:37 PM   #15
Sheriff Gotcha

Wusten: I've only put 80 rounds of .22 down range so maybe it could use some breaking in.

Thanks Marine for the info that was a long one lol
Old August 13, 2012, 11:38 AM   #16
marine6680

I can get long winded sometimes.