The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 8, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1
sirgilligan

Browning 1911 A1 22LR

I have been talking about my Browning 1911 A1 22 on other forums and remembered I hadn't shared anything here.

I took some photos of the pistol and wanted to say I like it very much. Everyone keeps asking, so, I got mine for $499.99, which I think is $20.00 on the high side, but I wasn't going to wait. I got them down from $535 and another store wouldn't budge from $599.00.

It is a great 22. It takes down like a real 1911. That makes it easy to clean. It is my favorite semi-auto 22 to shoot because of that. I hated the field strip of my Ruger MK II and I won't do that again unless the gun is so gunked up it will not run at all.

It has small sights, a little white paint fixed that up. It has a magazine disconnect which doesn't bother me. I don't know the pounds on the trigger pull but it works just fine and I would guess it is around 6 lbs or so, but that is a guess based on the pull of other guns and I could be way off.

Here are my .22's:

The Browning makes an excellent kit gun! It is also a good training gun, I used it to recently teach a new shooter.

I like it for everything that the Browning is and would not have bought it if it were the same size as a .45 ACP 1911 GI pistol.

I would love to see Browning make the .45 ACP 1911 available in a "plain" version instead of the commemorative only.
If you find your back is up against a wall, maybe you have been backing up for too long.
Old April 8, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
sirgilligan

The rest of the images....

If you find your back is up against a wall, maybe you have been backing up for too long.
Old April 8, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3
sirgilligan

The Range Report

And before someone asks, here is a range report.

No failures. Three different ammo's tried. There is a solid review on Gun blast.

http://www.gunblast.com/Browning-1911-22.htm

Here are some screen shots of my last range trip I recorded with the pistol:
(realize I shattered my hand and have just started typing a lot again, thus my reappearance on the forums).

Not kidding about my hand either:

Old April 9, 2012, 02:48 PM   #4
teddybear

Browning 1911 22

I now have 790 rounds through my browning, no jams or misfires with mini mags or federal bulk from Walmart. Still waiting for a couple extra mags.
Still trying to figure out how to get the mag apart for cleaning !
I also have the new Sig 1911 22, its also a great shooter,but just a little more ammo picky, does not like Rem golden bullets, I had a few left over from a glock17/AA kit.
Old April 9, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
sirgilligan

I will probably look for an extra mag around Christmas time.

Quote:
I also have the new Sig 1911 22
I was wondering if you could give a detailed comparison of the SIG and the Browning? It can be subjective, your impressions, opinions, etc.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:01 AM   #6
teddybear

browning/sig 1911 22

Well browning should have included 2 mags, plus a metal spring guide instead of that nylon one.

The sig also needs the feed ramp polised, I believe that is why I had a few jams.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:22 AM   #7
drail

Don't start polishing the feed ramp until you are sure that the magazines, extractor, breechface and all of the springs are within spec. Polishing a feed ramp rarely actually "fixes" a gun that has a feed problem and has caused more problems than you would believe. The feed ramp's length and angle is extremely critical. Change it a little bit and the frame is junk.
Old April 10, 2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Billy Shears

That hand x-ray.... OWWWWWWW!

I hope that wasn't firearms related.

Welcome back and thanks for the data on the Browning.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Marquezj16

Quote:
I also have the new Sig 1911 22, its also a great shooter,but just a little more ammo picky, does not like Rem golden bullets
My 1911-22 does not like Winchester bulk. I'm sticking with ammo it likes. CCI SV, Blazer and Federal.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:15 PM   #10
sirgilligan

Hand was broke in basketball game.

Browning says the nylon guide acts as a buffer so it doesn't beat itself up. I know some use nylon buffers in Browning Hi Powers to shoot hot rounds.

If the size appeals to you, I recommend it. With all things, it might not be on everyone's list of guns. For me though it meets expectation.