The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
RampantAndroid

S&W 1911 Scandium "bobtail"

Can anyone here comment on S&Ws 4.25" scandium framed 1911? I'm considering picking one up and would love some input.

I've seen someone saying that the pin holding the extractor in can work loose pretty quickly and jam the slide up. I've also read somewhere that the spring is too stiff since it has a titanium firing pin. The last complaint was that the finish isn't very resistant to scratching.

On the flip side, people seem to generally say muzzle flip is fine, and that the gun handles well, is reliable and surprisingly accurate despite having a shorter barrel. This would likely become my carry gun (and I'd get a CPL to match it) and get range time as well.

Can anyone comment on this piece?

Thanks!
RA
Old April 5, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Smit

Well I have an E Series 1911, though not the same I'm sure they share most of the same features. Indeed, the extractor pin has been reported to work its way loose, but that is on the earlier models so I think you may be ok on that issue. I had feeding issues on my full size 1911, but I sent it in and it was fixed within a week and had a very tight slide fit afterwards. From what I have seen, the gun you are interested in is very nice.
The spring issue you mentioned I don't believe exists. I read the same thing somewhere and bought a par of wolff springs anticipating this and I was wrong.
Lastly, the gun is indeed VERY accurate and will shoot better than any of us. I believe this gun would be a good pick-up.

If you dont mind me asking how much are they asking for?
Old April 5, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Ichiban

If I were in the market for a carry gun that one would be on my very short list. I have a 5" E-series that has been flawless and I carry a bobtailed 1911PD.
Old April 5, 2012, 08:07 PM   #4
RampantAndroid

I'm not sure of the price - last time I saw one it was for 1300, which seems about par for a new one. On gunbroker, they go for close to 1200, which when adding in the shipping and transfer fees, is going to be about the same - I'd rather be able to handle the gun

I'll post the price when I see it tonight.

Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like the E Series is a great gun. Any idea why so few people are talking about it? I know some people dislike the external extractor, but I really can see no other reason as to why a kimber super carry is talked about more often?

Thanks again!
Old April 5, 2012, 08:07 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Or you could check out my thread on this exact same gun that is still on the front page

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484530
Old April 5, 2012, 08:28 PM   #6
RampantAndroid

Thanks for the link - I searched, but probably just didn't use the right query to find your thread.
Old April 6, 2012, 12:42 AM   #7
RampantAndroid

Well, as an update, I instead jumped on a Dan Wesson CCO in black - not that I distrust S&W - my wheelguns rock - but when I saw a DW in the case I immediately went with that instead. They wanted 1275 for the SW1911SC - a little higher than the other thread, but not too bad, given every other time I see it in my area they want 1350+.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:03 AM   #8
gak

It's on my short list. Perfect size--it's the "correct" Commander size (4.25 vs some others brands' 4") and the bobtail is great. Another choice to look at in approximately same territory - DW Guardian--also correct 4.25". http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...sson-guardian/

Last edited by gak; April 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old April 6, 2012, 04:38 PM   #9
BigJimP

My only issue on "bob-tails" in general ...and I have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry that is bob-tailed....

while I like the look .../ bought it because I thought it looked cool ...the Bob-tail ....when I do rapid fire drills with it / causes the gun to get away from me a little vs a more traditional frame style on a 1911 ...( in my Wilsons, Les Baer, Kimbers, etc ) ...so I like the look / but I'm not a fan.

I'd suggest you try and shoot some "bob tailed" guns before you jump on this one ...and I see you bought a DW instead...so next time ...
Old April 6, 2012, 06:21 PM   #10
KyJim

Quote:
Well, as an update, I instead jumped on a Dan Wesson CCO in black -
You made a fine choice and I am not knocking the SW in any way. The DW is the closest thing to a Bill Wilson Carry Model there is and the Wilson is more than twice the price. The rounded corner (not really a bobtail) really helps prevent a covering garment from hanging on the edge of the pistol.

I bought one a few weeks ago and it is my preferred carry gun. Good trigger, reliable, and accurate.

Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:15 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
while I like the look .../ bought it because I thought it looked cool ...the Bob-tail ....when I do rapid fire drills with it / causes the gun to get away from me a little vs a more traditional frame style on a 1911 ...( in my Wilsons, Les Baer, Kimbers, etc ) ...so I like the look / but I'm not a fan.
You must have some big hands . The part on my S&W that is bobtailed doesn't even really come in contact with my palm, so having it flat doesn't really buy me any stability. That is a good point though.
Old April 9, 2012, 02:07 PM   #12
1hogfan83

I bought mine online, SW1911, at budsgunshop. I couldnt be more happy. It truly was love at first site. After about a week of fondling it, I finally shot it at the local range. I couldnt believe how well it shot, smooth, great recoil control, and the group size was amazing! Far better than I am! I probably would have went with kimber but I heard to many bad stories about them. About 50/50 on the ratings. It was between Sig and Smith and Wesson, gotta go Smithy. You wont be disapointed. Best thing about it, their resonably priced! Unlike some other brands cough cough springfield.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee