The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Ignacio49

Glock with crack in the grip – is there a way to fix it?

A friend is selling his Glock 19 second generation. It seems to be in good condition, except fot a crack in the grip – see pic (this is a photoshop simulation, just to show where the crack is).

Is there a way to fix/seal/glue this crack, other than sending this gun to Glock?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Ignacio49; April 5, 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: changed word to use appropriate one
Old April 5, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
barstoolguru

you can use some plastic cement and a clamp. Next time don’t force the plug in
Old April 5, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
BarryLee

Epoxy?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 5, 2012, 03:52 PM   #4
hoytinak

Looks like a good candidate for a grip reduction.
Old April 5, 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

If it's only cracked to the lanyard loop I wouldn't worry about it. You can either epoxy it or even use a lighter to melt it back together if it bugs you. hoytinak is right, might be a good one have a grip reduction/stipple job done on by Robar, David Bowie, or the likes.
Old April 5, 2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Pull the silly plug out and I'm pretty sure the crack would effectively vanish. Maybe use a tiny amount of epoxy (or a bit of heat applied from the inside) for good measure.
Old April 5, 2012, 04:29 PM   #7
gunsmokeTPF

Not to worry. Just remove the cap and run a bead of krazy glue over the length of the crack from the inside. Then wipe off very quickly any residue that may appear on the outside before clamping together. Clamp it tight and don't remove it until dry. I capped mine as well, cause that hole's annoying and I never heard of cracking caused by it. It looks like you may have struck it against something. Nothing would surprise me, but I'd give it another try putting it back in any way.
Old April 5, 2012, 05:15 PM   #8
stingray2100

glock butt crack problem

I have seen this happen to 3 other glocks (G27) and all had the polymer plug.

if you heat the polymer it will bond again, but if you heat it up to much it is going to melt on you. So, you need to be very careful... I recommend you send it to Glock and see if you can get a new frame for it.
what Generation and model is it. (for my own personal information
Old April 5, 2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Ignacio49

G19, 2nd generation, as mentioned in my post above.
Old April 6, 2012, 02:31 AM   #10
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Glock with crack in the grip – is there a way to fix it?
Quote:
There is a joke to be had here...
Kind of like the potato chip line... just one?

Quote:
(this is a photoshop simulation, just to show where the crack is)
To protect the identity of the pistol; as we all know that each Glock is so unique and we wouldn't want the "fixed" pistol to have any sort of stigma now would we?
And can we show a Glock crack on TFL? (I mean with out it being a "simulation"?) We could solve that one with a grip sleeve pulled up nice and snug! Some decorum, please!

Now, go figure...
Old April 6, 2012, 02:38 AM   #11
justin251

Hmmm. Never heard of a Taurus or hi point cracking right there......

Or any gun. How did that happen? I'd make glock fix it. It does have a lifetime warranty right?
Old April 7, 2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Ignacio49

"...To protect the identity of the pistol; as we all know that each Glock is so unique and we wouldn't want the "fixed" pistol to have any sort of stigma now would we?..."

Interesting - you can distinguish one Glock from another with the pic I published...

Last edited by Ignacio49; April 7, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old April 7, 2012, 11:36 AM   #13
shortwave

If the crack is opened up like that one, I would mix epoxy, work it in crack, then remove plug. That way some of the epoxy would be in the crack.
Old April 8, 2012, 03:50 AM   #14
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Interesting - you can distinguish one Glock from another with the pic I published...
I was being a bit "tongue in cheek"; please note my earlier reference to finding it hard not to list a multitude of humorous remarks.

Glocks are the poster child for "ubiquitous", and certainly not for being "unique".

Now, go figure...
Old April 8, 2012, 06:27 AM   #15
mes228

Plug

I do not know the fix for the crack. But will comment on the "plugs" that seem to cause this problem. I've read that the "hollow" was designed in to drain the pistol rapidly if submerged. I've owned several Glocks, still own 3, and have not used a plug. I've had no ill effects. I'd ditch the plug if I aquired a Glock with one.
Old April 8, 2012, 07:46 AM   #16
Ignacio49

"..I was being a bit "tongue in cheek"; please note my earlier reference to finding it hard not to list a multitude of humorous remarks..."

Got it, AZAK. English is not my native language, and many times I find it difficult to read in between lines, so to speak. My fault.
Old April 8, 2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Ignacio49

As mentioned in the opening post, the pic is a photoshop simulation, just to show where the crack is.
My friend's 19 has no plug. He bought it used, and we do not know what caused the crack. It could have been related to a plug, a tactical stock, other accesory, or...?

And, by the way, I believe these frame plugs are a common accesory, and I was not aware that they could cause cracks.
Old April 8, 2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

All right, we're getting very childish here.

I know, I know...the temptation to crack jokes is right there, but we don't really do that on TFL. Let's stick to posts that might help Ignacio fix his problem.
Old April 8, 2012, 12:23 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I've read that the "hollow" was designed in to drain the pistol rapidly if submerged.
The Glock armorer's course specifically cautions against using the plugs. That hole is there for good reason.
Old April 8, 2012, 12:32 PM   #20
barstoolguru

Epoxy is fine but I said modeling cement because it has ingredients that will melt the polymer and fuse it together. A soldiering iron might do it to from the inside
Old April 8, 2012, 05:36 PM   #21
Crow Hunter

Quote:
The Glock armorer's course specifically cautions against using the plugs. That hole is there for good reason.
Correct.

Good luck.