The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

The 22 Magnum CF is here...

22 Mag CF is the new cartridge designation for the reloadable 22 Magnum project I started a couple months ago... I picked up my steel machined cases last night, ( 192 - 12L14 alloy cases, & 48 - 303 stainless cases ) along with the custom shell holders ( 3... one extended & with a ball / spring detent to hold the case in, to use in my drill for annealing the case mouths if needed, one for my press, & one for my Lee hand primer ) they may be close in case capacity to the 22 CCM, but are both a couple .001's longer & bigger in diameter, to allow for the thicker steel cases, no groove cut in above the rim, since these will only be used in a modified to center fire & rechambered 22 magnum revolver...

... still waiting on the dies, & the revolver conversion... will probably start about loading with 22 Hornet bullets & about 75% of the CCM loads with 1680... will also be getting a custom 6 cavity bullet mold, & will likely try those with Trailboss for lighter loads...

... it's been a big expense, even with my retired buddy doing the work for me at 1/2 the normal cost... but this is something I've wanted for 20 plus years... kinda cool seeing it come to fruitation...

will probably wait for pics, until the revolver is done... maybe next week... in the mean time, it's cool to see my plastic ammo boxes filled with cases, & labeled 22 Mag CF
Old April 5, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
griz

Sounds like fun. Don't forget to post photos when it's done.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Para Cassatt

That sounds like a really interesting project MWM. I look forward to the follow up,pics and range report. I have to ask, did you slug the barrel and if so what did it measure?
Old April 9, 2012, 03:29 PM   #4
tom234

Why ?
Old April 9, 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Barber2678

Why not!
Old April 9, 2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Why ??? because we can... it's something I've always wanted...

will try to get some pics up this week
Old April 11, 2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

well... the gun is now converted to center fire & rechambered, I'm still waiting on a couple things for the loading dies ( making 2 expanders, one for Hornet bullets, & one for the cast bullets ) will likely pick up everything this weekend

this is the gun before starting the conversion... a stainless Taurus Tracker 8 shot 22 Mag... outwardly it'll look the same... once we see where it shoots, we are likely going to mill off the front sight & add another better front sight ( may go fiber optic to aid in small game hunting )

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 12, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old April 11, 2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Doyle

What will this give you that a .22 Hornet doesn't?
Old April 11, 2012, 11:44 AM   #9
pgdion

Cudos to sticking with a project many thought was pointless. I think it's pretty cool myself (but then again, I absolutely love the .22 magnum ... went through 3 boxes last weekend!). I participate on another forum for manufacturing printed circuit boards at home. Guys will throw out ideas and many will poo-poo all over them. Well these guys are now direct printing boards using laser printers ... something that was claimed to be 'impossible' a few years ago. Persistence pays off and if the idea & trials are good, maybe fame and fortune will follow (fame anyways).

Can't wait to see the proto's.
- phil
Old April 11, 2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks...

Doyle... I have a 22 Hornet revolver already... in stock form, it's much like 30 carbine Blackhawk, in that it's bark is much worse than it's bite... cases like to get sticky in the Hornet revolvers... mine has now been converted to a Dan Wesson style switch barrel with a 1 in 9" twist rate, allowing me to shoot up to 68 grain bullets in the Hornet case... this conversion made it much more practical that the gun started with a 1 in 14" twist 10" barrel

this cartridge ( 22 Mag CF ) should allow me to load from roughly 22 lr power to about 3/4 of what I can get out of the Hornet, & will allow me much more bullet selection than I can get from the 22 Mag

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 12, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old April 11, 2012, 01:09 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
this cartridge should allow me to load from roughly 22 lr power to about 3/4 of what I can get out of the Hornet, will allow me much more bullet selection than I can get from the 22 Mag
The cheaper option would have been to pull the bullets from .22 WMR cartridges, and replace them with the projectile of your choice.

But, I do understand the desire for the wildcat is usually independent from monetary considerations.

On the other hand... I suspect I may still be the only person in the world, that has fired 53 gr Barnes TSX FBs from a .22 WMR.
Old April 11, 2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

Hey MAUSER... did those stabilize out of the 22 Mag barrel ( 1 in 14" twist ??? I assume in a rifle ??? ) I've been wondering how long / heavy a bullet will stabilize out of my 4" revolver barrel ???

my custom fast twist Hornet revolver ( 6" - 1 in 9" twist ) will stabilize up to 68 grain pills at the reduced velocities... the 22 Mag CF will be a new expirement

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 12, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old April 12, 2012, 03:12 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Yea, I had good results with 55 gr FMJs (Hornady) and the Barnes 53 gr TSX FBs. My test platform was a Marlin 882SS with a 1:16" rate or twist. I never calculated whether or not they should have stabilized, though. They worked, so I didn't bother with the math.
Old April 12, 2012, 06:29 AM   #14
jwrowland77

All I can say is this seems pretty awesome. Can't wait to read more on it.
Old April 12, 2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Rifleman1776

Seems pretty pointless to me. But, wildcatting is a foundation of progress in this game.
Good luck inventing what we already have.
Old April 12, 2012, 12:57 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Seems pretty pointless to me. But, wildcatting is a foundation of progress in this game.
Good luck inventing what we already have.
What is he RE-inventing here?

.22 CCM? That's laughable, if you're familiar with the cartridge.
It has been obsolete since its introduction (more than 20 years ago).
There is no usable original brass on the market. (Only Fiocchi produced a large run of brass, but it suffered from ammonia contamination. So, it crumbles when touched or fired. ...arguably one of the biggest reasons the cartridge failed.)
Lathe-turned cases are available in the after-market, but they're limited to a maximum of 8,000-12,000 psi. There are also a handful of people swaging .22 Hornet cases down, then turning them for the finished dimensions. Though they are stronger than lathe-turned cases, the swaging operation causes the case head to be somewhat brittle. They can't handle high pressure, either.

And, the Cooper rifles, of course, have almost all been converted to other cartridges. Usually the owners turned them into .22 Hornets (rather than having to modify the bolt for rimfire ignition).

The .22 CCM is obsolete, and provides nothing useful for this class of cartridge. The .22 Hornet is more powerful. And, the .22 WMR is not reloadable. This wildcat may be incredibly close to .22 CCM, but I don't see it as re-inventing anything.
Old April 12, 2012, 01:35 PM   #17
jaguarxk120

For those who do not have P.O Ackley's book, there is the 22 Long Snapper, 22 Wiliams, and the 224 Critser Magnum. Based off of the 22 Hornat and 25-20 case's.

All hand gun cartridges.

To bad there'sno way to put a rim on the 5.7X28 case. Push the shoulder back to make a longer neck and it should make a fine 22 cf.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; April 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old April 12, 2012, 04:09 PM   #18
SVO

I'm kinda familiar with the 22 CCM. I have a new Contender barrel chambered for it, set of reloading dies and 20 boxes of new brass. One of those reloading projects that I never got around to. Bummer to hear that the brass is trash. Doesn't seem like 20 years but don't remember if the Contender barrel is a 10" or a Super 14.

Time flies when your having fun....
Old April 13, 2012, 11:27 AM   #19
Scharfschuetzer

Sounds like fun!

It reminds me of a similar center fire modification to the old Remington 5mm RF round of the 70s.

At a gun show I was once almost tempted to buy a modified 5mm Rem rifle along with the modified bolt, dies, bullets and brass to load the little round as a center fire. I blinked in the end, but it's one of those projects that I always wish that I had gone with.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old April 13, 2012, 12:46 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It reminds me of a similar center fire modification to the old Remington 5mm RF round of the 70s.

At a gun show I was once almost tempted to buy a modified 5mm Rem rifle along with the modified bolt, dies, bullets and brass to load the little round as a center fire. I blinked in the end, but it's one of those projects that I always wish that I had gone with.
There are still a couple guys in the U.S. that make the conversions.
It's isn't too late.
Old April 20, 2012, 07:44 AM   #21
Magnum Wheel Man

sorry it took so long... but some pics finally

1/2 my stuff is at home, & 1/2 has been in my truck...

anyway, here's the last of the stuff needed... now all I have to do is find the time to do some loading...

here is the 22 Mag revolver converted to centerfire... note the rimfire hole just above the lower "new" centerfire firing pin hole

here are a couple group pics... note the loading dies ( one is a universal decapping die, for use if no resizing is required for pop gun loads ) the Lee hand primer shell holder ( the regular loading press shell holder is already at home with the bulk of the cases ) a high speed camfer tool especially for use on the steel cases... a handfull of 12L14 alloy cases, some of my buddies hand cast lead bullets ( just to check for function, before he makes me a 6 cavity mold ) & the gun

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22 Mag CF 001.JPG (123.3 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 22 Mag CF 002.JPG (119.5 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 22 Mag CF 003.JPG (160.7 KB, 257 views)
Old April 22, 2012, 11:58 PM   #22
Para Cassatt

Looks like fun is just around the corner. What weight are those cast bullets?
Old April 23, 2012, 05:39 AM   #23
Magnum Wheel Man

I haven't weighed them, but think they are 40-45 grains
Old July 2, 2012, 01:27 PM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

Update... it seems to shoot...

been busy with the hot rods lately ( too many hobbies )

anyway, I've found 2 very different loads that both shoot to the same point of aim...

bear in mind, these are custom lathe turned cases, & the case capacities are less than the old 22 CCM both cartridges are loaded to 1/8" of the cylinder lenth, & both were loaded using the stainless turned cases

1st load was with my buddies cast gas checks ( averaging 45 grains ) loaded with 1.5 grains of Trailboss... early shooting shows nice sized hand held groups at 25ft shooting to point of aim ( the sights were set at for 22 Mag, the original chambering of the gun )... very quiet shooting, not at all painfull without hearing protection... my chrony is still broken, so I don't have velocities, but would guess at somewhere between 600 & 800 fps out of a 4" barrel

2nd load was using Hornady 35 grain balistic tips, & 5 grains of Accurate #9 shot to the same point of aim... not much recoil, but much louder than the trailboss loads... would not want to guess as to speed, but definately supersonic

Trailboss loads didn't require any sizing of the cases, #9 loads only required sizing of the case mouth to retain the bullets... both loads used Federal Small Pistol Primers... both are turning in nice groupings...

since this was designed to be a basic small game hunting load, I want to try a mushrooming soft point, & am still waiting for my own un-gas checked cast bullet mold