The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2012, 10:36 AM   #1
TunnelRat

S&W 1911 E Series SC

Hi all,
I made the mistake the other day of continuing to browse while I was waiting for my background check to clear at my LGS. I came across a Smith and Wesson 1911 E Series SC with black Melonite finished slide. Now I have gun fever . The gun is, at least to me, beautiful. The weight, the looks, the seemingly good quality, the whole deal. Does anyone have one of these and can you tell me if its as good as it looks? If you have any experience with one, shot a friend's etc., chime in too. I've always wanted a commander sized 1911 and this seems like it would fit the bill nicely. LGS wants $1100.

Here is a link to the one in question:
E Series 1911 SC

-TR
Old April 4, 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Leejack

Buy it without delay!
Old April 4, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
plouffedaddy

I've been on a (military discount) wait list for over a year for that gun. That's a pretty good price; I'd jump on it.

My E-Series is a great gun and I'm thinking the SC will be as well...

Old April 4, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
TunnelRat

The full size E series is a great looking gun too. I had a S&W 1911 at one point, full size steel frame. Only issue I ever had was the stake holding the safety plunger to the frame snapped. But I never had one feed or extract issue and I put a lot of rounds through that thing.
Old April 4, 2012, 12:39 PM   #5
PetahW

When one of my sons-in-law & I was cruising the aisles of a N.E. funshow last Fall, we stumbled across one of those NIB for $899 (It was the only S&W 1911 on the table) - so he jumped on it like stink on a pig, asap I told him it was outrageously cheap.

It shoots GREAT ! At my club, I put 200 rounds of hardball thorugh it w/o a hitch, while he did likewise; but he's been shooting it weekly at his club since - still w/o any issues.

Old April 4, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
WVsig

The S&W E series 1911s are nice guns. I personally do not like S&Ws firing pin safety design, but the E series guns do not use it, and I do not like the external extractor. S&W will not "let" you work on them and they consider them a factory only service part. They have excellent customer service but should it need to be repaired you will be without your gun.

My 1911 9mm Pro series had to go back to the factory because of a a beavertail engagement issue. They have a solid reliablity rep and if you like the current styling go for it. I have owned a few S&W 1911s but none of them stuck with me.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa

Last edited by WVsig; April 4, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old April 4, 2012, 03:53 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
The S&W E series 1911s are nice guns. I personally do not like their firing pin safety design and I do not like the internal extractor. S&W will not "let" you work on them and they consider them a factory only service part. They have excellent customer service but should it need to be repaired you will be without your gun.
I think you meant external extractor. I know many don't favor them on a 1911, and I can understand that, but I have never had any issues with them personally. As far as the safety system is concerned, I don't find it makes the trigger pull noticeably different and it's also not a true Schwarz safety as I understand it. But again I can understand the preference.
Old April 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #8
WVsig

Yes I mean external extractor. Long day.
Old April 4, 2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Shoot45's

Looks very beautiful. You should get it. In my experience their 1911's are good.

Wish they didn't put those "caution capable of firing with magazine removed" on their guns.
At least not their 1911.
It's a gun for crying out loud!! It's supposed to fire.
Why is it they seem to need to do this but other manufacturers don't?
What's next:
"Caution - can fire if there is a bullet in the chamber and you pull the trigger"??
Old April 4, 2012, 06:04 PM   #10
vyse.04

Quote:
"Caution - can fire if there is a bullet in the chamber and you pull the trigger"??
That's going to be on the next Ruger 1911... Thanks.
Old April 4, 2012, 07:27 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Agreed. I think however it's related to making things Massachusetts compliant and given that MA is the company home, at least the main headquarters, I can understand that. I still think it's stupid though
Old April 4, 2012, 08:01 PM   #12
KyJim

I like the looks of that pistol!
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:47 PM   #13
TunnelRat

In doing a little reading it seems like these particular Smith 1911s are set up like a series 70 Colt, in that is uses a titanium firing pin instead of the Schwarz system. Can anyone confirm this?
Old April 4, 2012, 08:50 PM   #14
WVsig

Correct E series do not have the firing pin safety and S&W's firing pin safety is not really a schwarz system IIRC it is a hybrid between the Colt 80 and the schwarz system.
Old April 4, 2012, 09:18 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Cool thanks! Now I am more interested. Sigh, goodbye money.
Old April 5, 2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Rangegod

It is very close to the best "out of the box" 1911 I've ever bought. And, I've bought a lot. Although, as an "old school" 1911 fan, I did have to eat some crow on previous statements about external extractors. But, the things (at least S&W's) just work.

I prefer 4.25" Commander length guns and like Bob Tails, as I find they carry as well as the Officer frame without requiring the short mags. But, I never liked the weight of my Brown and DW bob tails and the standard frame LW Colt and others do not carry as well.

The Smith has been functionally flawless, with at least 15 different mag configurations and with every bullet style (FMJ, JHP, LSWC) and weight (165 to 230) tested (Reload & Factory).

If S&W had left off the ambi safety (stupid on a carry gun) and used a standard commander guide rod & plug it would have without a doubt been the "best out of the box 1911 I've ever bought".

JAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W E Series.jpg (138.5 KB, 94 views)
Old April 5, 2012, 08:31 AM   #17
Leejack

I don't own a Smith 1911, but I have owned many other Smiths in my day.

Having said that, I really can't think of any problem I've had with them, I've had great luck.

I always love reading about how the external extractor isn't "pure". This usually comes from guys who have all the bells and whistles on their 1911. LOL!

I would not hesitate a bit when it comes to buying a Smith.
Old April 5, 2012, 12:55 PM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
I always love reading about how the external extractor isn't "pure".
Smith & Wesson knows a thing or two about extractors. The external extractor has worked flawlessly on their pistols for the last several decades and, when it comes to aesthetics in terms of how they look on a Model 1911, I'm a firm advocate of the old adage "form follows function". Note: I'm not saying that internal extractors don't work well, only that the external ones on Smith pistols do.
Old April 5, 2012, 08:14 PM   #19
KyJim

I've had good (Sig) and bad (Kimber) experiences with external extractors.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.