The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
ChaseReynolds

Who makes the best Double Stack 1911?

I am now considering a 1911 for HD but want hi capacity. Help please.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:38 PM   #2
ms6852

In my opinion there is no such thing as "the best". It becomes a question of personal preference. For example I have a 99pt taurus which in almost 30 years I have not had a malfunction with fmj's or hollowpoints. But Taurus gets trashed quite a bit.

A friend of mine, a leo carries a para ordinance in a 45 cal. high capacity. I have shot it before feels okay to me but does not feel sweet like a regular 1911. My brother has an fnp 45 which feels better because you can switch the backstraps of the grips to your liking. But still not a 1911. If I want high capacity I load the 10 rd single stack magazines. But its a .45 you only need one round.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
KyJim

Yeah, there will be a difference in opinion. Infinity (SVI) is well known for their "race guns". http://www.sviguns.com/. STI, a formerly associated company makes some double stack 1911s from "race guns" to real defense/carry double stacks. STI makes an excellent gun. http://www.stiguns.com/products/guns.../2011-pistols/. Wilson Combat makes a 9mm double stack: http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-spec-ops-9.asp.

If I were to buy one, it would probably be one from STI.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:02 PM   #4
ChaseReynolds

What about para?
Old April 1, 2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Para-Ordnance (now Para USA) originated the double stack 1911 and has been making them longer than anyone else. STI/SVI followed several years later with their hybrid polymer/steel insert double stacks, but (as already noted) these are intended primarily for practical shooting and steel competitions rather than day-to-day self defense carry.

I carry a Para-Ordnance. In fact, I alternate between a P12.45 and a P13.45, with some days when I carry their comparatively tiny, single stack Slim Hawg (such as hot weather when I need to conceal under a tee shirt). The Para grip is smaller than the STI/SVI polymer grip, and easier to conceal. Personally, I would never consider one of those for daily carry.

Other double stack options are Springfield Armory and Armscor (Rock Island Armory). Both are modeled after the Para, both are hard to find, and both can use Para magazines (sometimes with minor tweaking).

BUL Transmark (in Israel) makes or used to make a more carry-oriented, polymer frame double stack 1911. It never caught on and I don't know if it's even still available. Wilson Combat had a polymer 1911 that was more like a "stack and a half" than a true double stack, but it didn't sell and they discontinued it.

IMHO, if you want double stack, go with Para.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; April 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Shoot45's

I've had good luck with STI in general.
Check them out.
Old April 2, 2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Rinspeed

Depending on how much you want to spend double stack 1911s are a very poor choice.
Old April 2, 2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Mrgunsngear

I'm not trying to bash Para but your question was 'the best' and in my experience there's no way Para is the best. I've shot 3 Para doublestacks and 1 was reliable. That's a small datapoint but I bet if you grabbe 3 STI or SVI guns you wouldn't get the same result. For the money; I'd say STI makes 'the best' double stack in 45. Other custom shops may offer more bells/whistles but the STIs are quality guns with good customer service behind them.
Old April 2, 2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Fishbed77

If I were looking for a double-stack .45ACP for HD, I wouldn't be looking at a 1911 design. I'd probably be looking at the H&K HK45 or FN FNP-45. Maybe the S&W M&P45 as well.
Old April 2, 2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Arsenal Firearms Second Century Model 2011
Old April 2, 2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy
I've shot 3 Para doublestacks and 1 was reliable. That's a small datapoint but I bet if you grabbe 3 STI or SVI guns you wouldn't get the same result.
It is said that "The plural of anecdote is not data." No one owner can amass a sufficient log of data as to be statistically significant.

Over the years I have owned and shot six (6) Para double stacks. Of the six, only one was initially unreliable, and that was a used pistol that had been "improved" by its previous owner. Once returned to original configuration it, too, has been boringly reliable.

Conversely, I have shot one STI and that was not reliable. It was new and unaltered.

Para-Ordnance went through a rough patch in the second half of the last decade, after they promoted their quality control guru out of QC and didn't replace him. After the move to North Carolina, the powers that be saw more clearly that the production and quality control manager was so intent on production that he was ignoring quality control. He was not amenable to "coaching," so they fired him. The quality of current production Para pistols is as good as ever, or better.
Old April 2, 2012, 11:46 AM   #12
k511

Ive also had great luck with the Para's the warthog in particular
Old April 2, 2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Rinspeed

Quote:
The quality of current production Para pistols is as good as ever, or better.

That's not saying a whole lot.
Old April 2, 2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Rugerismisticness

Lotsa para bashers not giving us a reason to dislike para. What kind of jams? What was wrong? What year is this (para has changed a whole lot in the past 5 years)? What model?

My P18.9 made in 2010 is excellent, I have yet to see it jam. It's also extremely accurate as is.
Old April 2, 2012, 02:01 PM   #15
manta49

I have a para 14-45 i like it no problems. PS. No problems with FMJ ammo doesn't like semi wadcutters.
Old April 2, 2012, 02:18 PM   #16
Mrgunsngear

Aguila---I agree it's not much to go on but this is a gun forum after all and I'm just sharing my experience. I own 17 Glocks, 1 is unreliable. If that 1 was my first, I probably wouldn't have the other 16 so I totally understand what you're getting at...
Old April 2, 2012, 03:53 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed
That's not saying a whole lot.
It is to me.

The range where I shoot holds informal practical shooting competitions on alternate Thursday evenings. I shoot either a P13.45 or a P14.45. A number of the other regulars also shoot Para pistols, including the range owner. Typically there is one Beretta, a few Glocks, and several Colt 1911s. It is very rare for any of the Paras to malfunction. In fact, I had the only one that balked regularly, but that was the one I bought used. Once I corrected Bubba's "improvements," it has been completely reliable.

I wouldn't be carrying a Para on a daily basis if I didn't think it was going to go Bang when I pull the trigger.
Old April 2, 2012, 06:31 PM   #18
KyJim

Quote:
STI/SVI followed several years later with their hybrid polymer/steel insert double stacks, but (as already noted) these are intended primarily for practical shooting and steel competitions rather than day-to-day self defense carry.
STI/SVI are two separate companies now. STI has a choice of non-competition double-stacks.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:21 PM   #19
slow944

I have the FNP-45 and so far it has been prefectly reliable, except for some bad WWB ammo. Have prolly close to 1K rds down the barrel. It is not a small gun but with the right setup it is acceptable for me.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:43 PM   #20
ChaseReynolds

Thanks yall, I may drop the 1911 idea and go with a glock
Old April 2, 2012, 10:09 PM   #21
loose_holster_dan

i've shot the wilson spec ops. not a fan for the cost. their other models are far superior.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 2, 2012, 10:36 PM   #22
geetarman

Sig, CZ and Glock make nice double stack 9s. I also have an older Smith and Wesson 5906 double stack that will give them a run for the money.

The Glock G17 along with the CZ SP01 seem to be the thinnest in the grip.

The Sig P229 and the Smith are pretty thick.

The 5906 is out of production but you can find police trade ins that are not real expensive and many will have little wear.

Geetarman
Old April 2, 2012, 11:45 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Thanks yall, I may drop the 1911 idea and go with a glock

Bingo...You won't get my Glock 21sf out of my hands unless you pry it from my tight cold dead fingers.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:11 AM   #24
arentol

Dan Wesson makes the Razorback 10mm with 9 round magazines. 10 rounds total isn't too bad.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:33 AM   #25
geetarman

I just bought a Dan Wesson Valor yesterday. I am going to the range this morning to try it out.

I hope it works as well as the PM9 I already have. They are solid guns, but not cheap.

Geetarman