The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 14, 2013, 12:54 AM   #26
covert

Having been back to Gunsite twice within a year (November and May), I was really impressed with the way the school was run, the quality of instruction, etc. The lecture on mindset was played, with comments from real-world instructors who know their stuff. If you are on the fence about investing in training there, I say go for it. The town of Chino Valley has grown, and there are decent motels to stay in, and everything else you could need.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:03 AM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Let's not go off track and discuss personalities of other folks in the gun business.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old June 14, 2013, 03:20 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

I grew up reading Cooper, Keith, Skelton, Askins, Jordan, and everyone else that was or had written from the 50s on up. If you want some fun, go back today and read them. Most are what would be generously called opinionated today.

Those old time writers would often tell you flat out what was good for something and what wasn't. Period. And often in a highly colorful manner.

One writer I recently reread stated that the only reason there were still any deer in the US was the poor sights on Winchster and Marlin lever guns! (slight paraphrase). Now, that's an opinion!

Coooper's style was never lowest common denominator. If you had trouble with that, you were free to go your own way. He put things the way he saw them, and while I don't think he was 100% right all the time, he wasn't 100% wrong, either.

If he liked something, it was good (and it usually was good) and if he didn't, you weren't going to convince him it was good, and he didn't care to waste time allowing the attempt. Not an unheard of trait in men of his generation.

never met him, except through his writings, but if I had, I'd tell him, "Thank you!"
Old June 16, 2013, 11:47 AM   #29
FMJ1911

Cooper's book on self-defense is a real gem. I highly recommend everyone read it.

He deals with mindset.

Classic Cooper.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:45 PM   #30
arch308

I always enjoyed Cooper's Corner in Guns & Ammo magazine. In fact when the mag arrived in the mail I would flip to the back to read Cooper first. He was always good for a little insight and humor.

I miss those days.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:36 PM   #31
BitterTait

Working my way through Cooper's "The Art of the rifle", I credit his book (and a non-windy day) for my first 50-yard dime sized group.