The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 7, 2000, 11:26 AM   #1
Correia

Still planning my 1911 purchase, any opinions on the usefullness, durability of ambi safties. Will it get knocked off while carrying? Thanks.
Old April 7, 2000, 12:37 PM   #2
Erik

There are two camps amoung 1911 shooters:

1. The "ambi safeties are a liabilty" camp.

2. The "ambi safeties are an added precaution" camp.

Camp #1 is larger and many of the experts pitch their tents there.

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited April 07, 2000).]
Old April 7, 2000, 12:49 PM   #3
STRIDER

I have not made up my mind regarding which camp I'm in. There are many who feel that one should be able to fire one's pistol with either hand. An ambi helps with this. A quality ambi, properly installed and adjusted and not overly wide, should not pose any problems. Go to Dane Burn's sight, he is a cop(I think),trainer and really good gunsmith who happens to be a lefty. See what he has to say.
Old April 7, 2000, 01:15 PM   #4
John Lawson

I believe that a narrow ambi safety is neessary, in my case. I have a family member and a shooting buddy who are left handed.
I have found that the Kings ambi safety is more durable and reliable, in that the adjustment does not stretch or bend.
Old April 7, 2000, 01:35 PM   #5
John Forsyth

First off, I am a righty. On my carry gun, a Kimber Classic Stainless, I see no need for an ambi safety. No purpose for it.

On my comp gun, Classic Stainless Target, I have one. Been shooting IDPA for about three years now. Have shot lots of matches where weak hand shooting was required. An ambi safety for this is very handy. And that is the only reason I had one installed on the Kimber.

------------------
John
(formerly johnboy)
Old April 8, 2000, 03:04 PM   #6
7th Fleet

No need for an ambi-safety. Just added complexity and something else to malfunction.

..7th

------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE, KEEP THEM INDEPENDENT.
Old April 8, 2000, 03:53 PM   #7
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello all. I know what "camp" I'm in; pardon the pun, I couldn't resist! I am right handed and do not care for ambis at all. Some holster straps will wipe them off although I've noted this more with the later Browning HPs than 1911s. Were I to go with ambis for some reason, it would be the narrow Swenson type. Best.
Old April 8, 2000, 04:03 PM   #8
bk40

I don't care for ambi safeties either, on any handgun except for competition. If you're LH, they are a necessity.

------------------
BKs Pistol Pages
Old April 10, 2000, 06:02 PM   #9
johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STRIDER:
I have not made up my mind regarding which camp I'm in. There are many who feel that one should be able to fire one's pistol with either hand. An ambi helps with this. A quality ambi, properly installed and adjusted and not overly wide, should not pose any problems. Go to Dane Burn's sight, he is a cop(I think),trainer and really good gunsmith who happens to be a lefty. See what he has to say.[/quote]

While it's true that you should be able to fire your pistol with either hand, if your shooting hand is disabled, are you really going to have the safety on when you transfer to your weak hand?