The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2012, 12:22 AM   #26
canis-latrans

Get the Lee Loader and a plastic head mallet and go for it.

In the 70s I loaded 1000s of rounds of .357 on the Lee Loader. Banged out a couple 100 every Friday night for Saturday at the range. Last 2 years I've loaded several hundred .243 on a Lee Loader before finally breaking down and buying a press (Hornady Lock-n-Load, thank you very much . Even the grand-kids know how to use the Lee Loader. It makes perfectly acceptable rifle and pistol fodder and pay back occurs on the 2nd box of shells. I never had a primer go off, or an other mishap, failure to fire, etc. I just got tired of the hammering.
Old April 8, 2012, 07:06 AM   #27
jcwit

Ya know folks, If the Lee Loader AKA "Whack a Mo" wasn't worth every penny, it wouldn't still be available after 50 some years with the only changes being the box it comes in.
Old April 8, 2012, 11:38 AM   #28
Lemmon

Tap Tap Bang!

I used the Lee Loader for 38/357 when I first started reloading, my room mates called it "Tap Tap Bang!" Never got the priming down pat. Best deal was when I found the lee priming squeeze dingy. It was a one primer at at time machine but ended the "Tap Tap Bang!" . A pleasure after that......

Lemmon
Old April 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #29
mje

It's just about impossible to set off a primer with the Lee Loader... if you follow the instructions! But adding a hand priming tool does make the process much easier. The one thing you will need with a Lee Loader is some case lube. A light spray or wipe makes the whole process much easier.

I started with a Lee Loader around 1987 but quickly switched to a Lee Turret Press. When I started reloading again recently, I took out my old Lee Loader and hand priming tool and loaded 100 rounds. Then I bought a Lee Turret press again ;-) If you get the complete kit with a set of dies from FactorySales dot com it's a very good deal.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:07 PM   #30
mikld

I'd like to respond to dako-re-tard with a scathing remark, but he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. With a single stage press, one learns what every step does and why and even more so with a Lee Loader. If a breech-lock system isn't used then one will also learn how to adjust dies (a must for troubleshooting chambering problems). Like I said, one can learn on the most complex reloading system if they are pretty mechanically inclined and have lots of patience, and lucky, but it much easier, much more sane, to use a more user friendly approach, ie.; a single stage operation where only one thing is done at a time (vs. pulling a handle and a finished round falls out of the machine unknown as to why).
Old May 11, 2012, 04:26 PM   #31
Dakotared

Big man to call someone names on the internet. Just because you have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time does not mean others do. You have to do all the same things on a progressive. But I like to help others save time and money and get good results.

Last edited by Dakotared; May 11, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:34 PM   #32
dmazur

The advice to beginning reloaders use of a single stage vs. progressive can take on the appearance of a Ford vs. Chevy war.

You set up each die in a progressive one at a time, just like you would do on a single stage press. Issues like primer pocket prep, powder measure bridging, case lube, etc. affect both equally.

If you don't (or can't) follow instructions, you can make an amazing amount of bad ammo in a short period of time with a progressive press.

But, if a progressive press is set up correctly, all it does differently from a single stage press is just make ammo faster.

There are an amazing number of double charges and squibs created by folks using a single stage press. If this simply never happened, it might help the argument that single stage presses are simpler and therefore safer.

IMO, if you don't understand process, you can get into trouble without much effort, regardless of the equipment you are using.