The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2012, 05:40 PM   #76
Arji

FMJ is a bad idea for self-defense. It does something LE calls Through and Through which means your attacker can keep attacking after the bullet passes through his body. Then you might even kill an innocent bystander or family member or even next door neighbor. Hollow points are always good but there are some really nice exotics out there that are very dangerous to the criminal and much safer for use in your house and/or the general public. Magsafe is a very powerful round that will not penetrate a human but will blow a huge hole in them. If you miss and hit a wall or other hard object the round will harmlessly disintegrate. The ballistics on those rounds are outrageous. The 38 spl version sounds like a damn cannon. Minimal recoil because the actual bullet is quite light. It just travels so fast it hits with tremendous energy, Muzzle energy of the .45 acp version is 777 ft/lbs and around 2400 FPS muzzle velocity. 9mm is about 2700 FPS. Check out their youtube demos.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:21 PM   #77
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The 38 spl version sounds like a damn cannon. Minimal recoil because the actual bullet is quite light. It just travels so fast it hits with tremendous energy, Muzzle energy of the .45 acp version is 777 ft/lbs and around 2400 FPS muzzle velocity. 9mm is about 2700 FPS. Check out their youtube demos.
Um yeah, you are going to have to post those because the claimed 2400 fps .38 spl and 2700 fps 9mm. Those are rifle ballistics, not pistol and I don't know of any rifles in those calibers with those ballistics.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:40 PM   #78
sigcurious

MagSafe Advertised Specs

Arji was a bit high, but they do have some high velocities...for 37gr and 45gr projectiles...
Old September 11, 2012, 07:40 PM   #79
Frank Ettin
Staff

MagSafes have a poor reputation for penetration, however.
Old September 11, 2012, 07:46 PM   #80
sigcurious

Yeah I couldn't imagine a fragmenting round that weighs the same as a .22lr or slightly more would penetrate much. Although I bet they do a number on a piece of fruit