The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1
pelo801

45 colt loads from buffalo bore

a couple a weeks ago i bought a new to me ruger blackhawk in 45 colt. a week later i set myself up to load for it. just for giggles i bought some buffale bore +p, it got the 325 gr LBT-LFN @ 1325 fps. this stuff is pretty stout. i am just curious if anyone has tried to load some up to or close to this loading. not that i'm in a hurry to push the limits or anything. i didn't really like shooting more than a cylinder of this stuff at a time. mostly just curious.

what powder are you using? what bullet weight? etc?

so far the loads i have made were closer to the hornady cowboy loads. which are super fun to shoot. appreciate it, thanks.
Old March 25, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
black mamba

I have seen that load duplicated with 22.5 grains of Lil'Gun and WLP primers at 1.68" OAL.

But as in all cases, start lower and work up as these loads may not be safe in your revolver.
Old March 26, 2012, 10:53 PM   #3
pelo801

thanks mr mamba for the reply. any idea the pressure that load generated. that seems to me, to be a large powder charge. what does lil gun compare to say, unique, as far as compatablility/interchangeability?
Old March 27, 2012, 01:07 PM   #4
black mamba

45 Colt +P loads are around 32,000 pounds of pressure, while SAAMI standard for the 45 Colt is 14,000 pounds.

Lil' Gun is much slower than Unique, and Unique is way to fast for hot loads in the 45 Colt. Lil' Gun is very close in burning rate to H110, WW296, Accurate 4100, Ramshot Enforcer, and Alliant Power Pro 300-MP. These slower powders generate the highest velocities with the lowest pressures. Safe loads with Unique will fall about 200 fps short of these slower powders.