The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2012, 09:00 PM   #51
BigBob3006

In close to sixty years of reloading and shooting I don't think I have ever broken even. I think thrift is a white lie we tell our wives too reduce their resistance to a new hobby. If I had $10.00 to spend on shooting then I spent the $10.00. The deeper I got into loading, the more I learned and the more tools I needed to do the things I wanted to achieve. The search for finer accuracy can be very demanding.

Since I don't drink, gamble, do drugs or chase wild willing women I think reloading is a pretty benign recreation.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:12 PM   #52
calmit44

reload vs. factory

Well when it comes down to it not counting equipment the price per round on a .44 is very reasonable. its about a third of the price to reload thenit is to buy a box off the shelf. iwould suggest buying in bulk cuz it will all keep if properly stored and wont cost any extra neither. hope it helps.
Old March 25, 2012, 11:39 PM   #53
uncyboo

Quote:
What rate do you factor in while shooting?
My shooting skills are even less valuable than my handloading skills. Hell I'm in the hole there too after paying $175 yearly range/club dues.....
Old March 25, 2012, 11:50 PM   #54
Dondor

As far as my wife is concerned.. I save money.
Old March 26, 2012, 12:38 PM   #55
sc928porsche

At todays prices, it wont take long to recover your investment for reloading 44 mag. A box of 50 will run you about $35-$40. I reload a box of 50 for about $10. You do the math from here.

BTW Big Bob.........Chasing wild women is a lot like hunting Grizzly. A lot of fun, but very dangerous!
Old March 26, 2012, 02:18 PM   #56
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
A box of 50 will run you about $35-$40.
Surprisingly, that is about the same as the cheaper stock over here. However, according to my calculations, a reloaded .44 will come in at about 60% of the off-the-shelf stock.

So the saving is there, just not as acute!
Old March 26, 2012, 08:45 PM   #57
TFL

Reloading batch sheet

Try this link I use it.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1xwlb2.../Reloading.xls
TIM
Try this one instead
http://westernsafellc.com/Reloading.xls

Last edited by TFL; March 26, 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: LINK DONT WORK
Old March 26, 2012, 09:39 PM   #58
hk33ka1

I keep buying more equipment so breaking even may not be possible.

On the plus side I know more about ammunition than I did before and have an even greater interest in shooting since I started to load and cast my own.
Old March 26, 2012, 11:52 PM   #59
dacaur

well, before i started reloading, I would always buy ammo and shoot it up... At first when I started reloading I spent the same on components as I did before on ammo, but nowadays, i always seem to have a few hundred 9mm rounds sitting around, when I get low I spend $30-60 on bullets and primers....

I still shoot the same number of bullets, i just spend less doing it....

If I could step out my back door and shoot things would be different, but with a family and gas prices the way they are, i am lucky to get out to shoot twice a month....
Old March 27, 2012, 12:35 AM   #60
Lost Sheep

Mistake? No mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57
I personally did NOT make the mistake of trying to amortise the cost of press and other gear into 'number of rounds to break even" - this is madness. It's a hobby - I consider the gear as a one-time up-front cost.
I have the hobby of reloading. I have the hobby of target shooting. I have the hobby of playing with numbers.

Looking at the amortization of my loading equipment is entertainment (of a sort) for me. You can, if you must tell me I am strange. But I will not judge how you enjoy your hobbies if you don't judge how I enjoy mine.

Lost Sheep
Old March 27, 2012, 06:12 AM   #61
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Try this one instead
http://westernsafellc.com/Reloading.xls
Splendid!!

Thanks!
Old March 27, 2012, 06:33 AM   #62
OEF-Vet

How many of you honestly reload to save $?

I reload for accuracy and when loading premium loads for rifles I'm sure I save money but I don't track the cost. Reloading adds a whole new level to shooting sports. Something to do on rainy days. I have worked up loads for all of my rifles and pistols and I am always working to better them. You can't go to your local shop and buy loaded rounds with the mix of components most of my rifles like and certainly not at the OAL my bolt guns like. As for pistol I have been able to work up lite recoil loads for recoil sensitive family members to get comfortable and stay sharp with their carry weapons.

To me these benefits far out way savings though as much as I load I'm sure there is at least some fringe benefit savings.
Old March 27, 2012, 12:54 PM   #63
Dondor

I honestly started reloading to save money on .44magnum. I have been collecting my .38sp and .357mag cases for a while. Have about 500 .40 that I don't want to reload (read Glock).

I have a basic Lee press with RCBS dies. and RCBS case trimmer. Have had it all about 7 years now and probably broke even just by shooting my .44mag after year 2. Something like 2000 reloads or thereabouts. Thats breaking even for 3 sets of dies by shooting only 1 caliber.
Old March 27, 2012, 02:29 PM   #64
tmas

The really huge savings started for me when i discovered lead bullets. I wasn't even going to reload for my .380 acp, it just wasn't too economical for the time it would take, but then i realized i could buy 500 lead bullets for $26 +tax. My cost went from $340/1000 for factory FMJ's to $90/1000. I recovered the cost in the first 1000 rounds. THEN i had a friend turn me to casting bullets. I first thought it would be too big a pain, but I found the time (by not sleeping at night) and started casting bullets, now i'm down to around $40/1000. I just run on a RCBS rockchucker and reload around 500 rounds week for .380, 9mm, .38/357.

I reload Handguns for the huge savings, i reload rifles for the extreme accuracy and some savings.
I still save quite a bit when i reload for my Rifles, like .223 sub .5moa ammo costs me about $25/100, instead of $80-100/100. And for premium Berger Bullets shooting .6moa out of my 7mm Rem Mag I'm about $57/100 instead of $50/20.
Old March 27, 2012, 03:08 PM   #65
Red Dog

Why worry??? I paid off my vehicles... have I broken even??? Who knows factor in tires, oil changes, gas, insurance....

Last edited by Red Dog; March 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old March 27, 2012, 09:34 PM   #66
orionengnr

Your initial post indicates that you will break even in a year and a half. I would consider that a very good turnaround.

You did not say whether you are amortizing your cases over ten uses. You did not state whether you are able to buy lead projectiles (generally far cheaper than FMJ).

With each additional set of dies you save more and break even sooner.
Old March 28, 2012, 12:32 AM   #67
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Your initial post indicates that you will break even in a year and a half. I would consider that a very good turnaround.

You did not say whether you are amortizing your cases over ten uses. You did not state whether you are able to buy lead projectiles (generally far cheaper than FMJ).

With each additional set of dies you save more and break even sooner.
Good to know that this is a viable plan!

Can I ask what amortizing cases actually is? As I don't know what it means, I think I can safely say I am probably not doing it!!

Bullets: FMJ. I have not found anywhere that sells lead. Over here reloading is mainly aimed at the hunting market and so one mainly finds rifle rounds. Handgun rounds are no that common nor varied... I suppose casting my own is an option, but I think one step at a time, is best!!
Old March 28, 2012, 12:44 AM   #68
uncyboo

Quote:
Can I ask what amortizing cases actually is?
For simplicity, lets say 100 pcs. of brass costs $10.00. You get 10 loadings for the life of this particular bunch, which equates to 1000 rounds loaded. That means for every trigger pull the brass costs you one penny.
Old March 28, 2012, 04:45 AM   #69
Pond, James Pond

Thanks uncyboo! Nice and clear!

Well, I have had difficulty finding brass that is not rifle calibre, to get .44 or .38 brass, I will probably have to buy some factory rounds.

So for every 100 rounds shot, the first hundred will probably be factory rounds that I can then reload, say, a further 9 times.

I had not taken this into account. But then, if i weren't to reload, I'd have to buy those rounds anyway!

Luckily, it seems many reloaders feel that .44 mag and .38 Spl cases can be reloaded ad infinitum (within reason), so perhaps say 500 factory loaded rounds would then provide me with brass for the forseeable future!
Old March 28, 2012, 06:14 AM   #70
Don P

What puts the most stress on the cases is the belling of the case mouth and then the crimping. I continue to load cases until they split or the primer will not stay seated. I have no idea how many times I have reloaded the same cases thats why I continue to scrounge brass. Brass is like guns and ammo, you can never have enough
Old March 28, 2012, 06:59 AM   #71
darkgael

$

How many can honestly say that they reload to save money?
I can. Absolutely. If I did not reload, I could not afford to shoot as much as I do. Of course we save money - when we compare our expenses to what we'd have spent if we had to buy factory ammo.
I was going through the gun cabinet the other day....took out two rifles that I'd not fired in a long while - a .375 H&H and a .416 Rigby. At the range, I fired a box of each carttridge....factory ammo would have cost me about $160 for the two boxes. My cost was less than $35 (Rigby brass and bullets are expensive...factory ammo is about $4.75 per shot; I load them for less than a dollar.) Regarding more "normal" shooting, using my own cast bullets, my .45 ACP loads run the cost of 4.0 grs. of Bullseye and a LPP. How much is that? maybe four or five cents a shot? As well, I cannot buy that ammo, loaded that way, bulk or otherwise. Compared to what I would have to spend for a box of .45s, I am saving a lot per shot.
Pete
Old March 28, 2012, 03:39 PM   #72
OEF-Vet

You are absolutely correct Pete with the less common rounds the savings is there for sure. I guess if I had weapons that shot ammo at $160 for 2 boxes I would be able to say $ was my motivating factor. I primarily shoot 9mm, 380 ACP, 308 Win and 30-06 Sprg all of them can be bought bulk cheaply with the exception of the 380 ACP. I don't get why such a popular round is so expensive. I often thought the same thing about 45 Auto.
Old March 28, 2012, 04:05 PM   #73
HiBC

Most of my equiptment is old,some bought used.It is not high maintnance.

I do save some money loading.

For me,the benefit is I can develop a load that meets MY needs.I am not at the mercy of what the manufactures produce.

Even if I found a load that whas just what I want,I am then at the mercy of the local dealer.What is on his shelf?If I find a great load at a good price in factory ammo,it will often be out of stock..."Well we have these loads you don't like for more money" is not the beginning of a good time.

And,for handgun ammo,I can get great ammo from Starline brass and Lasercast bullets.

I do have leadpot,molds,sizer luber,etc for someday,later.For now,quality cast bullets sized and lubed in a box of 500 for 50 or 60 dollars make holes.
Old March 28, 2012, 04:23 PM   #74
Rangefinder

Reloading by itself is a big savings. But then I threw casting into the mix. Yesterday is a great example of how cost-effective that can be. Just yesterday I burned through 150 .40S&W, 50 .357 mag and 40 .32Win Spl. All cast, .32 Win paper-patched full-house loads. Total investment was less than $15 for a fair amount of shooting. Would have cost me well over $100 or more to do the same with factory.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:27 PM   #75
mapsjanhere

You never break even. You just justify new additions.