The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
HALL,AUSTIN

Can #4Buckshot be ran through a full or extra full choke?

Just wondering. So yes or no?
Old March 23, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Sport45

Yes, it can.

You may or may not be satisfied with the pattern.
Old March 23, 2012, 12:26 AM   #3
huntinaz

Yep. I am satisfied with the pattern my extra-full "dead coyote" choke gives me with #4 buck. The coyotes, on the other hand, are not
Old March 23, 2012, 01:06 AM   #4
bamaranger

yup

I run #4B through a 12 ga. Rem Turkey super full (the tight one with the knurling). It leads the tube heavily, and I'm not so sure that a conventional full might not do better pattern wise. Those big pellets are likely getting mashed heavily.

But in the areas where I use the shotgun on coyotes, shots are not that far and it works great. I think #4B is a great killer on coyotes and similar varmints and pests inside 50 yds.
Old March 23, 2012, 01:22 AM   #5
columbia_shotguneer

I'd pattern a full first then screw in the modified and willing to bet the full is better. Alot of older shotguns had choke written on the barrel and were more than a full/ fuller choke more like an extra full constriction. Great patterns but sometimes it was believed to be from the longer forcing cones the older ones beared.
Old March 24, 2012, 06:18 AM   #6
SJC-NY

Yes it can be done but I would check the pattern at various distances. Shoots great out of my 835 with a full choke out to 35 yds but then it opens up real fast. I get a much better pattern with 4B using the Dead Coyote choke.
Old March 24, 2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I get a donut pattern at 30 yards with mine meaning there is a ring of shot and nothing in the middle but #3 shot instead of #4 buck is spread evenly. That is with my gun, yours may differ and you will not know by our experiences, you have to get out that pattern paper and that gun and shoot it to find out.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 24, 2012, 10:05 PM   #8
HALL,AUSTIN

Ok, I was just told that it would blow the choke outta the barrel.
Old March 24, 2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Sport45

I wouldn't run steel shot through a extra-full choke and I'd be hesitant to put 00 or a slug through one. The gun will be okay with the #4 buck.

You'll just have to try and see what the pattern looks like to know if you want to use it.