The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 21, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Todd1700

Second Bird Down

Killed my second of the season this morning. I first set up on a bird that only gobbled 2 times on the limb. Had drawn him in just over the crest of a hill from a little clearing they love to strut in. I was expecting to see his head any minute. Had my gun up, safety off and....all of a sudden 4 bucks just stampeded through between me and the gobbler like they had been scalded by something. Never seen or heard that bird again. While I was fooling with that bird however I kept hearing two birds gobbling together out a old logging road that ran out of the back of the little clearing I was set up on. So I went out it and got as close as I dared; set up and started calling. They would gobble sporadically but not really hot. They eventually kept moving further and further off. Finally I hadn't heard them for a while so i picked up my Lynch box call and worked it pretty loud. A bird thundered out to my right about 70 to 80 yards away. I got ready and waited. I was scared to make a move to get a slate or box so I yelped to him on a Double D mouth yelper (yes I'm trying to use one this year) and he gobbled way closer and directly in front of me. In just a minute I saw him moving fast from left to right. When he passed an opening at 25 steps I nailed him with a load of Hevi-13's. Tale of the tape 17lbs 15oz, 1 inch spurs both sides, 10 inch beard.

Old March 21, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
shortround60

That's a nice bird

Congrats on a successful hunt.
Old March 21, 2012, 05:24 PM   #3
AllenJ

That is a really nice bird, good job.
Old March 21, 2012, 07:07 PM   #4
bswiv

Florida?

Seems like you have a lot of birds..................
Old March 21, 2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Todd1700

Alabama
Old March 22, 2012, 02:18 AM   #6
bamaranger

stop

We are NOT hunting in the northern section of AL yet. I used to drive a few hours to catch the early start in the south zone, but the quality of the public land that I hunted declined, and I stopped seeing and hearing birds. Have not been south in two years.

Glad you're on birds, but makes me a bit jealous!!!!!

They are active here in the north zone. I have about a dozen + located and expect a fun year. Goal is to get bamaboy his first.
Old March 23, 2012, 06:59 AM   #7
MOshooter65202

Congrats on the successful turkey hunt,our season in MO. starts April 16th...You sure are making me hungry for some fried wild turkey strips!
Old March 23, 2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Todd1700

Quote:
You sure are making me hungry for some fried wild turkey strips!
Here you go.

Old March 23, 2012, 08:28 AM   #9
oneillba

Looking good, nice hunting!
Old March 23, 2012, 09:46 AM   #10
shortwave

Great looking bird Todd.

As with bamaranger, our season hasn't started yet. Doesn't come in till April 23rd. So I'm a bit jealous as well.

Have only heard two birds here.

Was in upstate NY a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe the flocks of turkey I saw all along rt90. Saw random flocks guessing to be from 20-50 birds scattered all along 90 especially around the vineyards. At one spot there was a flock of about 20 I saw in a narrow stretch of woods separating the East and West bound lanes. A few were standing along the expressway pecking in the peagravel.

Here at the house, neighbors and I still working hard on clearing out the yotes as the turkey population in our immediate area has truely decreased over the last 2-3yrs. Killed another male a couple weeks ago basking in the sun at the edge of the yard/woods. Neighbor found a fairly new den, trapped a female and set fire to the den.
Old March 23, 2012, 10:06 AM   #11
beeenbag

Congrats,

Our season here in KY doesn't come in until april, 14th. I have seen a bunch of activity as of late though. I may have to get the recipe off of you, that fried turkey looks awesome.
Old March 23, 2012, 12:44 PM   #12
MOshooter65202

http://i44.tinypic.com/b4hr1u.jpg

Lookin' good there!!....I've been watching 20+ turkeys in our back bean field,they all look like this picture you posted in my mind watching them in the field. hahahaha.....Hurry up April 16th i'm hungry