The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 18, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1
davery25

Gave myself 22LR accuracy problems

Hi guys,

I little while ago I removed the action from the stock on my Marlin 980 and ever since then it's been fairly inaccurate. I'm guessing that I've either overtightened or undertightened the action screws.

Does anyone know the torque values required on each of the two screws? The manual doesn't have these figures in there.

Cheers
Old March 18, 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
johnbt

Probably 25 to 35 inch-pounds. Or just center the action and barrel in the stock and hold it there while you tighten the rear one a little, then the front, then the rear, etc. Don't overtighten, just snug them up and add an 1/8th of a turn or whatever works. And make sure the barrel doesn't touch the barrel channel except back near the receiver.

John
Old March 19, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3
davery25

hi johnbt,

thanks for that. The 980 appears to be pillar bedded, i.e there are two metal poles with screw slots that are part of the barrel and action and these are what secure the stock to the barrelled action.

I removed it from the stock to see if i could glass bed the thing but theres no space for this at all as a result, which means i can't control where the barrel touches