The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
frumious

Starting to reload .22-250, worried about barrel wear

Hi All, I am purchasing a Ruger No. 1 in .22-250 and will be reloading for it almost right away. The rifle has a 1 in 14 twist rate with a 24" barrel. I will be shooting Hornady match .224" jacketed bullets - both the 53 grain hollow point flat base and the 52 grain hollow point boat tail. I will be working up loads with AA 2520 and IMR 3031. I will use the rifle for punching paper only, at least for the time being. (I don't know anyone who hunts.) I shoot 50 rounds at a sitting, and I shoot rifles at least every other week. It is safe to assume I will put 1500 rounds or so downrange the first year, and maybe 1000 or so every year afterward.

I have read/heard that the .22-250 is hard on barrels. I believe this becomes more of a concern the faster you push the bullet. So what I want to do is push the bullet as fast as I can without putting undue wear on the barrel. Also, I don't have a chronograph, so I will have to determine my stopping point by powder charge.

What are your thoughts?

-cls
Old March 14, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2
McShooty

Couple of thoughts. You can use moderate loads with match bullets and get excellent paper-punching results. Also, ball powders are generally thought to give less barrel wear over the long term. There is info on this in the literature, but sorry I can't give a reference off top of my head. You can check out powder descriptions in various loading manuals.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:50 AM   #3
mrawesome22

I'd recommend a chronograph. For as much valuable info they give, they are very cheap.

Give the barrel plenty of time to cool between shots.

Powders that fill they case well, or are slightly compressed will give the best accuracy. IMR3031 is a faster powder which doesn't fill the 22-250Rem cartridge well.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4
WIL TERRY

THEY MAKE NEW BARRELS EVERYDAY !!! So what is the big deal as you shoot one out [ do you know anyone who ever has ??] and screw in the new one, which will be better than the last....
And so it goes...
Old March 14, 2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Rimfire5

With my Rem 700 in .22-250, I try not to get too enamored with velocity if it doesn't give accuracy.

Most of my loads are solidly in the upper middle of the loading range in most manuals and I have had very good results with lots of different bullets. I have tried several powders, but my rifle seems to prefer Reloader 15. It has a 26 inch barrel and a 1:14 twist.

BUT - I try not to let the barrel get too hot because I believe that a heated barrel breeds excessive wear.

I've fired 1500 rounds through my .22-250 and the last session has some of the most accurate groups that I have shot. I expect it will go at least quite a while without seeing any degradation as long as I don't do anything stupid.

Hope this helps you estimating potential barrel wear on your .22-250.