The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 29, 2000, 08:21 PM   #1
AndABeer

So what is the best target .22 for a grand or less?
Old November 29, 2000, 08:47 PM   #2
Blue Heeler

I don't know what the US prices are like but if you can get a Hammerli SP20--that is an awesome gun.
They come in .22LR and .32 S&W. They have a very low sight line and multiple adjustments to both front and back sights.
The Hi-Grips come in 5 sizes.
And,for the fashion-minded,receivers come in a choice of five colours--red,blue,gold,violet and black.
Old November 29, 2000, 09:32 PM   #3
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

S&W 41
Old November 30, 2000, 07:21 PM   #4
Jeff OTMG

NIB a SIG-Hammerli Trailside, BUT you can find a used Hammerli 208s, Hammerli 280, or Walther GSP for under $1000 if you look. I am not familiar with an SP20 to know how much it costs or how it shoots, if it is under $1000 NIB I would rank it above the Trailside. There are also Russian built TOZ and the Italian Pardini that are great pistols by reputation, but I have never shot one and I believe both are under $1000 NIB. The SAKO Triace even used is going to be out of your price range. I just realized that this was posted in HG General rather than semiauto so you may be looking at a single shot 'free' pistol, in which case that opens up other options like electronic triggers. Depends on what you want the gun for.
Old December 1, 2000, 09:31 AM   #5
The Scandinavian

Jeff - SAKO triace even used?? New is going to be hard to find I should imagine - they haven't been made for years.

What about the Russian IZH-35? That's a real international level competition arm, and should be quite economical. Mine was the equivalent of about $500 new. Appearance, fit and finish aren't up to the usual standard of other European target pistols, but if you judge it by results, then it is superb. I also have a Hämmerli 208S that I imported from England just before they were banned there, but it's the IZH-35 that actually gets used!