The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Hans

Load for 20" bbl .270 win

Does anyone here load for a shorter bbl .270? All the load data I can find is for 22" or longer, and my Savage light weight bolt action has a 20".

I am thinking that less powder would be necessary, but I am just getting started loading and am not completely sure.

As for factory ammo, Hornady 130 gr SST shoots extremely well.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old January 27, 2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Barrel length has nothing to do with load data. Data is not barrel length specific. Notice how you didn't buy factory ammo for a 20" barrel?

Unless you're specifically looking for a load that minimizes muzzle blast you use the same data as everyone else. If you want to minimize muzzle blast, the only way to get the data is a program called QuickLoad.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 27, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old January 27, 2014, 01:45 PM   #3
603Country

I've got a 22 inch barrel on my Sako, and I shoot a full power load of H4831sc behind a 130 gr bullet. And years ago I used IMR4831 and prior to that I used IMR4064. In your situation, I think I'd go for the IMR4831, which is a touch faster than the H4831sc. It's a good powder choice, though just one of many for that caliber. And you being new at it, should start with a light load as the manuals would indicate, and then work up to what shoots best.

And, just to mention it, I am fond of 20 inch barrels. You lose some bullet speed, but the rifle is a bit handier to use. I think it's a good tradeoff.
Old January 27, 2014, 02:48 PM   #4
NHSHOOTER

I have 2 7-08's, 1 has a 22 the other a 20 inch barrel,I reload and I shoot the same bullets out of each one, I think the only that changes in the 2 different barrel lengths is the speed of the bullet. Of course 1 rifle seems to like a totally different load than the other but that makes it all the more fun.
Old January 27, 2014, 03:11 PM   #5
jmr40

The load that produces the fastest speeds from a 24" barrel will also be the same load that produces the best speeds from a 20" or any other length barrel. You will lose some speed compared to the 24" barrel, but not that much.

Some mistakenly believe faster burning powders will help with shorter barrels. Not so, at least not with rifle barrels. Get short enough to call it a pistol and things may be different.
Old January 27, 2014, 03:50 PM   #6
JD0x0

As the others have mentioned you don't need 'special' loads for a slightly shorter barrel. The shorter barrel will just generate less velocity and more muzzle blast with a given powder. You can play with different powders to achieve less muzzle blast and a more complete powder burn in a shorter barrel, but this doesn't mean that there will be improved velocity or accuracy. As others have mentioned, the powder that achieves the fastest velocity in a long barrel will generally, generate the fastest velocity in a shorter barrel, probably until you get all the way down to 8'' or so, where a slow powder may be burning more outside the barrel than inside it.
Old January 27, 2014, 04:10 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
Some mistakenly believe faster burning powders will help with shorter barrels. Not so, at least not with rifle barrels. Get short enough to call it a pistol and things may be different.
It has been my experience (with a 16" barreled 7-08) that faster powders lose less velocity than slower ones .... and make for considerably less muzzle blast and flash.

Were I to choose a powder for a 20" barrelled .270 WIN, it'd be IMR 4064 ....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 27, 2014, 04:21 PM   #8
jersurf101

I don't think it matters all that much but I would start with something like 4064 as others have mentioned. I don't think I would go with one of the slower burning magnum powders unless you cannot make it work with something in 4064's burn rate.
Old January 27, 2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Hans

I have a pound of 4064, I will start there with a light load and work my way up.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old January 27, 2014, 11:34 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

This loading is not beyond a Max listing and is currently published. But its at the pinnacle or just a hair below a Max listing.

I found IMR 4350 measured to 54.8 gr. with a 130 gr. B-Tip Nosler to be a very accurate loading. Muzzle speed is very close to 3000 fps. I've harvested a number of deer using this reloading recipe in the past. Knowing how tight its groupings are gave me confidence to make head shots out to 100 yards without hesitation. Some prefer 4831. Been there. Done that. But still prefer 4350 verses 4831 because of less felt recoil and its a shade better in accuracy on those 100 yard targets also. Whichever recipe you choose to reload be it this one or some others. I hope you do well with it.
Old January 28, 2014, 06:36 AM   #11
hooligan1

Surshot, my rifle also likes the B-Tip with IMR 4350, only Im at 53 grains now because of better accuracy and it wont flatten primers in my rifle...
Old January 28, 2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

I'm similar to Jimbob, I have a 16.5" .308 that I started loading for year before last. I had a goodly amount of H-4895 that I had picked up and went with it.

I had previously used factory Rem 150gr CL's that I had picked up back when prices were sane, but when it started to run out I decided to load my own for it. I simply set up the chrony, and worked up the 4895 load using 150gr CL's until I was hitting close to the same velocity and POA as the factory stuff.

So far no issues and for the blast, well it isn't as loud as some I have and is louder than others. I just figure when I pull the trigger it is going to go boooom and deal with it.