The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Sorting .45 ACP Brass - Any Brands to Keep/Ditch?

I'm depriming a bunch of .45 ACP brass before tumbling, and was wondering if there were any headstamps worth treating differently? Right now, I'm pitching the "TZZ" military cases, because there are so few of them that I don't want to bother with de-crimping them. There's no AMERC brass that I've found so far, or else I'd pitch that too on general principle.

I'm setting aside the Starline brass, since I've been impressed with it in the past.

I have quite a bit of FC 01 "Match" brass - are the "Match" cases themselves any better than "regular" cases?

Likewise, is the "+P" brass any different from normal .45 ACP brass? I know some brands use the same brass for regular and +P cases and simply mark them differently to help the loader keep track of different loads. I think all the +P brass I have is Federal nickel-plated.

Thanks,
Scott
Old March 8, 2012, 03:44 PM   #2
3kgt2nv

one main thing to keep in mind when sorting is there are now small pistol and large pistol primer 45 acp brass. I personally reload everything and have noticed no difference between brands. i dont really track longevity as they get junked when the fail.
Old March 8, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

Thanks for the reminder - I've been looking for small primers, but so far the only ones I've seen were in aluminum cases, which I've been throwing out anyway.

So far, the only really interesting piece has been a Remington Arms case from 1942. That pre-dates their non-corrosive primers by about ten years, so I'm not going to load it (although I realized that it probably wouldn't be a big deal).
Old March 8, 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Linear Thinker

You already know the 45 ACP brass don'ts - AMERC crap, Israeli military crimped brass, small pistol primer brass - sometimes marked NT, sometimes not.

45ACP is a low pressure cartridge, so the +P marked brass is no different from the regular kind (My observation based on weight comparison of +P brass).

Federal "Match" cases are same as the regular kind. I could never tell any difference between the Federal's brass lines, even the Gold Medal Match kind.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
excelerater

nothing ****** me off more than to be running full steam on my
550 and slam into a SP45ACP....its like hitting a brick wall
Old March 8, 2012, 08:09 PM   #6
THORN74

I am a total noob as reloading goes, so take this wit the appropeate a mount of salt. I have issues with speed +p brass. My lnl ap press doesn't like them. All the bad rounds I have made so far (6 out of ~200) have been speed +p brass.

So as far as my plans go .... speed +p brass is going in the recycle bin.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
Old March 8, 2012, 09:16 PM   #7
dsb1829

Some of the federal match is crimped. I can't recall the exact headstamp atm, but they have a red ring around the primer.

Most of the TZZ cases I have reload fine, even with no primer pocket prep. My experience is only about 20 cases though, so ymmv.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:26 PM   #8
3kgt2nv

i have some stuff from 1918 that is crimped. i still reload and shoot it. works fine. tends to split after a few uses.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Edward429451

Quote:
Federal "Match" cases are same as the regular kind. I could never tell any difference between the Federal's brass lines, even the Gold Medal Match kind.
Since 45 ACP brass is all the same dimensions externally, the only possible differences could be in weight. PMC brass has always been the heaviest and is right in line with 45 Super brass weight.

As for buying Match Ammo, the "Match" in Match isn't in any special brass. It has better bullets in it, which have more precisely controlled weights in construction of the slug, and perhaps in the powder charge weight as well.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:42 PM   #10
ScottRiqui

Quote:
As for buying Match Ammo, the "Match" in Match isn't in any special brass. It has better bullets in it, which have more precisely controlled weights in construction of the slug, and perhaps in the powder charge weight as well.
That's what I figured. Plus, I noticed that the "Match" cases don't have crimped primers, presumably because they're not going to see the same severe-duty use that other military cartridges might.
Old March 9, 2012, 01:01 PM   #11
dsb1829

Here is the crimped federal headstamp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120309_103706.jpg (38.0 KB, 41 views)
Old March 9, 2012, 01:05 PM   #12
ScottRiqui

That's interesting - none of the Federal I have is that new, though. Most of the ones I have are FC 01, and none of them are crimped. They have the red varnish/sealant over the primer, but no crimp.