The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2012, 02:32 PM   #1
jjcbuck

blackened brass

What is the cause of new hand loaded brass showing black residue half way down the brass on both 9mm and .45 ACP when fired.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:34 PM   #2
DWFan

This is usually a sign of low pressure and inadequate seal of the case to the chamber wall.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:36 PM   #3
jjcbuck

blackened brass

Could this be caused by too much of a crimp? I know 9mm and .45 ACP must not be crimped too much.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4
DWFan

Since these are taper-crimp rounds, I guess it's possible; but I would think that too much of a crimp would drive pressures up, not down. I don't load either of these so hopefully someone experienced will chime in.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:58 PM   #5
bossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFan
This is usually a sign of low pressure and inadequate seal of the case to the chamber wall.
+1 That will do it.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 8, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
markr

+2 on the low pressure.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 8, 2012, 03:11 PM   #7
howlnmad

+3 on the low pressure. Case isn't expanding and filling out the chamber allowing gasses to blow by.
Old March 8, 2012, 03:29 PM   #8
F. Guffey

jjcbuck, I am the fan of the crimp, not a real big problem but there is a limit to the effect a crimp has on pressure, I would suggest reading R. Lee;s book on modern reloading. I do not know how to advise you on your blackened cases. I believe time is a factor, in your opening post you did not list the powder, there are powders that are slow pistol powders, the same powder can be a fast rifle powder. It is not easy to load 9mm pistol ammo for the wife, it was suggested I make her angry, they said making her angry would automatically cause her to hold the pistol tighter, loading her ammo heavier does the same thing.

F. Guffey
Old March 8, 2012, 03:38 PM   #9
markr

I learned this the first time I loaded 30-06 and worked my loads up starting at the minimum charge. The cases were all black and sooty until the middle to high end of the powder charge range.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 8, 2012, 03:51 PM   #10
zxcvbob

Are you using Titegroup powder? It is notorious for that, but moreso with straight-sided cases like .38 Special.
Old March 8, 2012, 04:07 PM   #11
jjcbuck

Thanks for the input. These are not my loads I am inquiring about. I am an RO at a local personal defense league and I noticed this blackening in his 9mm and .45 rounds. He asked me the cause and I did not know. I don't know what powder he is using or the amount. I thought I would pick a few experienced brains before I try to respond to him next week. Thanks again for your input.

jjcbuck
Old March 8, 2012, 07:39 PM   #12
primerman

Yea, I just ran into that same thing (Again) working on some 9mm loads with Titegroup powder. On my loads it is defiantly to low a charge so I am going to have to bump my load up a little. I've been working a load down from 4.3 grains and made it down to 3.5 grains where the burn mark (What I call it) on the side of the case showed up. Just as information, my Walther PPS and my Springfield EMP did not cycle properly with this charge so I will be bumping up my charge a little on the next batch. I have also noticed these burn marks on cases using other powders with a low charge. Hey, what can I say it happens...

Tags
titegroup stain